Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 10:19:07 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Awkward/Cringy DVD Commentaries

Started by BJBMK2, May 12, 2022, 08:28:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martin Van Buren Stan

Quote from: Ham Bap on May 18, 2022, 08:52:50 AMHa, the way Rooney dismissively says 'sexy things' will stick in my mind.

Those bloody kids watching their 'sexy things'. haha

Filmatically got me

Replies From View

Seriously though kids these days are loving filmatically created stuff.

Glebe

Rooney's being a hypocrite if you ask me. After all he's perfectly happy to use foul language on family cartoons:

Povidone

Aye that's hilarious, can't work out if he's saying it with contempt or trying to be sexy himself.

"ssssssexy things, like me Mickey Rooney, eh kids!?"

Johnboy

in the commentary for Divine Madness with Carl, Mike and Chrissy Boy there's an uncomfortable bit where Mike berates Carl for interrrupting him - "I didn't interrupt you when you were speaking..etc"

Goldentony

Quote from: Glebe on May 18, 2022, 07:07:09 AMThat seems like it but I see no mention of the commentary controversy there. Hmmm.

America 3000 ???

Rolf Lundgren

Not a film but Norman Lovett definitely gets a bit arsey with Chloe Annett on Season 8 of Red Dwarf.

Replies From View

Quote from: Rolf Lundgren on May 19, 2022, 11:39:36 PMNot a film but Norman Lovett definitely gets a bit arsey with Chloe Annett on Season 8 of Red Dwarf.

Is that when he takes coquettish to mean gay?

Magnum Valentino

Are the Red Dwarf commentaries worth a go? I'm a big fan of commentaries in general but always avoided those on account of knowing that Charlsey and Chris didn't (don't?) get on well.

bgmnts

Quote from: Magnum Valentino on May 20, 2022, 09:03:12 AMAre the Red Dwarf commentaries worth a go? I'm a big fan of commentaries in general but always avoided those on account of knowing that Charlsey and Chris didn't (don't?) get on well.

Oh yeah they're fine, they have a lot of laughs. I think they discuss they didn't get on well in the first couple of seasons in the commentary.

I think they were friends towards the later seasons though.

Replies From View

Quote from: Magnum Valentino on May 20, 2022, 09:03:12 AMAre the Red Dwarf commentaries worth a go? I'm a big fan of commentaries in general but always avoided those on account of knowing that Charlsey and Chris didn't (don't?) get on well.

Not really.  It depends if you like that kind of laddish banter they indulge in.  By and large they're irritating, in my view.  Series 5 is probably the best one because Craig Charles is absent so it feels less crowded.

Series 8 is depressingly back-slapping.  They should be watching that series through their fingers but it's only Norman Lovett who has a sense of perspective on it.  And he seems to have been told to be less negative after a couple of episodes.

If you want insight and honesty the Ganymede & Titan Dwarfcast commentaries are best.  If you are only interested in hearing the cast and crew, stick to the DVD documentaries, which are great apart from the series 8 one again.

JamesTC

The Back to Earth commentary with Doug Naylor is an enjoyable one. Covers the technical side as well as giving some fun anecdotes on the unmade movie.

Rob Grant and Doug Naylor did a couple of commentaries for the Bodysnatcher box set that were ported over to the Blu-ray set. I think they did a commentary on the original assembly of The End as well as Bodysnatcher.

BeardFaceMan

The Red Dwarf Lockdown Commentaries are worth a watch/listen too.

Rolf Lundgren

Quote from: Replies From View on May 20, 2022, 07:55:04 AMIs that when he takes coquettish to mean gay?

From memory, I think he had enough of her precocious actor complaints like spending too long in makeup or having to remember dense passages of dialogue. I know his schtick is his grumpiness but it does come off too mean.

As for the other Red Dwarf commentaries, I think they're fantastic. They're all very comfortable with each other and have a friendly, jokey back and forth that you'd expect from colleagues of over 20 years (at the time). Much prefer rewatching them with the commentaries on.

Glebe

Epic Bisto

Nobody mentioned Abel Ferrara yet?  He deserves an award for his commentaries.

Quote from: Glebe on May 17, 2022, 10:17:55 PMThere's an (Italian, I think?) The Road Warrior knock-off, think it might have '3000' in the title but I've Googled and can't find it, but anyway apparently there's a DVD commentary track for it in which a couple of the supporting  cast make derogatory comments about the film's star... think I heard they may have actually been charged with defamation. Can anyone clarify this?

I was on a few horror/eurofilm forums back in the day, and I can confirm that it was for the DVD of 2019: After the Fall of New York.  I never heard it but it caused a massive shitstorm at the time.  It was nothing to do with the actor but what the two moderators said (apparently they said some really nasty shit aimed at other DVD companies, and although this may be my memory being wonky, one of them said that a very well liked and respected industry person deserved to catch AIDS or something).

Glebe

Quote from: Epic Bisto on May 20, 2022, 07:27:33 PMNobody mentioned Abel Ferrara yet?  He deserves an award for his commentaries.

I was on a few horror/eurofilm forums back in the day, and I can confirm that it was for the DVD of 2019: After the Fall of New York.  I never heard it but it caused a massive shitstorm at the time.  It was nothing to do with the actor but what the two moderators said (apparently they said some really nasty shit aimed at other DVD companies, and although this may be my memory being wonky, one of them said that a very well liked and respected industry person deserved to catch AIDS or something).

Aha, that's got to be it EB, thanks! I remember popping into a friend one day and he was watching it, and he told me about the commentary fuss, dunno it it's what he said or I'm misremembering but as I said I'd thought that a couple of the films supporting cast had made slanderous remarks about the film's star on the track or summit. Thanks for clearing that up!

Actually a bit of Googling reveals some more info:

http://www.ratethatcommentary.com/detail.php/3891

On a side note, according to IMDb:

QuoteIn the early 90's, Michael Sopkiw (by now retired from acting and living in Manhattan Beach,CA) decided to visit the local video rental store. He was instantly recognized by a clerk who declared himself a huge fan of '2019: After the Fall of New York' and admirer of Sopkiw's short career. That clerk's name was Quentin Tarantino.

Not that surprising really!

Epic Bisto

No probs.  Glad I was able to help.

Quote from: Glebe on May 20, 2022, 07:40:04 PMActually a bit of Googling reveals some more info:

http://www.ratethatcommentary.com/detail.php/3891

Dolph Chiarino.  That's one hell of a name - I think he was the one that was spouting all the hateful shit.

LEGEND DOLPH!

Glebe

I would love to hear a Gary and Daz commentary - perhaps on a Rise of the Footsoldier sequel?

Epic Bisto

WHITE GLOVE MASSIVE: 2-DISC CRITERION EDITION

SPECIAL FEATURES
Audio commentary with post-Bantz historians Legend Dolph and Pubes Dave
307 minutes of outtakes
Uzbekistani theatrical trailer

Glebe

Gatwick Gangsters: Artificial Eye Special Edition (limited edition 500 copies):

SPECIAL FEATURES

Audio commentary with Gary, Daz and Larval Trauma Flashbacks

'Remembering Gatwick Gangsters', 30m doco featuring Gary, Daz and Mark Gatiss

Trailer for Gary & Daz: Seychelles Superspreaders!

Mr Farenheit

A lot of the Wizbit dvd commentary is Paul describing some of his 'sexy adventures' in graphic detail. Thats the cringe part. The awkward part is hearing the reaction of the guy that played the rabbit and had to do the commentary in character.

Replies From View

Quote from: Mr Farenheit on June 04, 2022, 04:42:53 PMA lot of the Wizbit dvd commentary is Paul describing some of his 'sexy adventures' in graphic detail. Thats the cringe part. The awkward part is hearing the reaction of the guy that played the rabbit and had to do the commentary in character.

Debbie McGee was inside the rabbit costume but yes she didn't provide the voice or partake in the aforementioned DVD commentary, just like the Green Cross Code Man didn't.  HELP I AM THE GREEN CROSS CODE MAN TRAPPED INSIDE THIS POST.  CAN ANYONE HEAR ME??

Glebe

Quote from: Mr Farenheit on June 04, 2022, 04:42:53 PMA lot of the Wizbit dvd commentary is Paul describing some of his 'sexy adventures' in graphic detail. Thats the cringe part. The awkward part is hearing the reaction of the guy that played the rabbit and had to do the commentary in character.

Menu

Quote from: Replies From View on May 17, 2022, 11:30:27 AMThere's a commentary on the Doctor Who series 1 DVD that's quite unsettling to listen to - it's for the episode The Long Game, and it has just two people in the booth:  actors Bruno Langley and Christine Adams, and to my ears (and I have only heard this commentary the once, I must admit, and it was a decade ago) it sounded as though Langley was using the opportunity to come on to Adams, who just kept doing her best to ignore it.

I heard the commentary years before the sexual assault revelations came to light, and I had no idea who he was at the time - was just disappointed at first to have a couple of actors waffling away rather than the writer or anyone else - but immediately I sensed that it was horrible, and when years later I heard about the sexual assaults, I realised I may have been onto something, though I haven't since been back to check again.

The commentary was recorded before the revival was revealed to be a massive success, and there's a vibe throughout of Langley somehow forgetting he's being recorded or not knowing/caring how he might come across years later under scrutiny.

So go ahead, owners of this DVD:  scrutinise it and decide if I am right!  And I will too, to see whether I agree with my previous assessment.

Did you do this? If not, will you? I love stuff like this.

Replies From View

Quote from: Menu on June 05, 2022, 12:45:26 AMDid you do this? If not, will you? I love stuff like this.

Hey, I re-listened to that commentary a couple of weeks ago and it's nothing like what I remembered.  For a start there was a third person in the booth - the story's writer I think - and throughout the commentary there isn't the same mood or creepiness that I thought I was hearing.

So either it was a different episode (which is unlikely as those two actors were not in another episode together) or I somehow dreamt everything I said in that previous post.

Sorry to have led you on, there.

Menu

Quote from: Replies From View on June 05, 2022, 08:16:28 AMHey, I re-listened to that commentary a couple of weeks ago and it's nothing like what I remembered.  For a start there was a third person in the booth - the story's writer I think - and throughout the commentary there isn't the same mood or creepiness that I thought I was hearing.

So either it was a different episode (which is unlikely as those two actors were not in another episode together) or I somehow dreamt everything I said in that previous post.

Sorry to have led you on, there.

Don't worry, RFV. That sort of thing happens to me all the time. It's unnerving.