Support CaB

Subscribers don't see this.

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

May 25, 2022, 05:43:28 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

"That's before my time"

Started by Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth, May 13, 2022, 06:38:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Is there any phrase more nonsensical than this?

Yes, obviously, but it's still an exasperating and bewildering utterance. Not to read too much into it, but I think there's a certain arrogance to it. It's like the person can't simply admit to their ignorance, so they have blame the work for being made at the wrong time. "Am I so out of touch? No. It's the old people who are wrong."

These yooves today come with the internet pre-installed. 24/7 access to the sum total of human culture and yet, somehow, the idea of looking up anything that existed before they did is inconceivable. Maybe the internet is the problem - how are they going to find the time to check out Post-Punk, or whatever, when there are so many pillocks eating washing powder on Tik Tok?

Get off my lawn, you damned kids! And stop misusing the word "Literally".

Famous Mortimer


The Guppy

But things have "a time". If my niece, 12, knew about Nasty Nick from off Big Brother, that would be fucking weird. Nasty Nick is before her time.

It's only true for minor shit like Nasty Nick. The Battle of Hastings is before my time but I know about it. I do not know what was on telly in 1066.


Nowhere Man

Had this recently from my Ma's friend thinking it was incredulous that I knew what Twin Peaks was of everything. I'm 28 and a weirdo mate, it would be more surprising if I didn't

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Quote from: The Guppy on May 13, 2022, 07:00:04 PMBut things have "a time". If my niece, 12, knew about Nasty Nick from off Big Brother, that would be fucking weird. Nasty Nick is before her time.

It's only true for minor shit like Nasty Nick. The Battle of Hastings is before my time but I know about it. I do not know what was on telly in 1066.
Well yes. I don't expect everyone to know every piece of cultural ephemera, but there are reasonable limits. The last time I heard someone say it, they were talking about "Love will Tear Us Apart" by Joy Division.

Bigfella

They don't know they're born, do they?  I remember when it was all just fields.  Jumpers for goalposts.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

They probably think "jumpers" is ableist.

Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on May 13, 2022, 07:29:17 PMWell yes. I don't expect everyone to know every piece of cultural ephemera, but there are reasonable limits. The last time I heard someone say it, they were talking about "Love will Tear Us Apart" by Joy Division.
That's not as well-known a song as you think it is. I only know of it because I owned a number of Best of the 1980s compilations over the years. And I AM a Best of the 1980s.

Sebastian Cobb

They mean 'i wasn't around when this really captured the zeitgeist and was inescapable and don't really care enough to look into it' cheers.

I never watched Game of Thrones for instance, but its popularity meant I've passively absorbed enough information about it that I can spot references to it in a way that a zoomer who hasn't watched it probably wont, as such it's 'before their time'.

tourism

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on May 13, 2022, 08:02:44 PMThey mean 'i wasn't around when this really captured the zeitgeist and was inescapable and don't really care enough to look into it' cheers.

exactly

Butchers Blind

People will one day say that about this place.

Sebastian Cobb

Come to think of it, a good working example of 'before my time'ness in action was the age verification pop quiz on Leisure Suit Larry.

This is probably before some poster's time.

The Lurker

(I could tell him that's all ancient history now, he probably wouldn't like that joke)

Oh well, that's all ancient history now!

checkoutgirl

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on May 13, 2022, 06:38:11 PMThese yooves today come with the internet pre-installed. 24/7 access to the sum total of human culture and yet, somehow, the idea of looking up anything that existed before they did is inconceivable.

It's not a yoof thing, it's a thick person thing. My brother's thick as shit fiance will gob off about a black and white film being too old not because she's young, she's not, she's about 35. She is pig ignorant though.

Before my time is precisely the type of excuse she'd trot out to cover knowledge gaps or express disinterest.

Some things can genuinely be before your time though. Cultural stuff that has died out but never made it into media or academic works. You can't know everything. At least I don't think you can.

going spare over here thinking about these kids, walking around not remembering hamster dance and boglins. How dare they

in my day ephemera was built to last

checkoutgirl

Quote from: The Guppy on May 13, 2022, 07:00:04 PMI do not know what was on telly in 1066.

Yeah the BBC used to record over the tapes back then so the battle of Hastings was lost forever.

ITV could have captured it but it was before their time.

checkoutgirl

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on May 13, 2022, 07:29:17 PMWell yes. I don't expect everyone to know every piece of cultural ephemera, but there are reasonable limits. The last time I heard someone say it, they were talking about "Love will Tear Us Apart" by Joy Division.

You might also allow for the fact that it takes time to aquire information. I'm 43 so was not around for Joy Division in that at best I was 2 years old. But it might have taken me to the age of 25 or even 30 to familiarise myself with Tony Wilson, Factory etc.

And that's someone who finds it interesting and is of average intelligence. There are many factors at play.

notjosh

I make a point of only knowing about things that happened before my time. If I needed to know about something happening in my time I would just look out the window wouldn't I?

bgmnts

Quote from: checkoutgirl on May 13, 2022, 08:42:56 PMYeah the BBC used to record over the tapes back then so the battle of Hastings was lost forever.

ITV could have captured it but it was before their time.

True but we do have the post-battle interview with William.

touchingcloth

What's everyone's favourite 'fit of Beau Brummell?

Tikwid

Quote from: The Guppy on May 13, 2022, 07:00:04 PMI do not know what was on telly in 1066.
Think it was mostly reruns of old B movies directed by Ed Wood the Confessor

idunnosomename

Quote from: JesusAndYourBush on May 13, 2022, 07:09:29 PM...and since 1769!  That's literally 300 years ago!
yeah but Frances Brooke was from Lincolnshire so there is debate whether she is considered a proper person

The Culture Bunker

"What possessed you to apply?
Did your friends with good advice implode?
We should hang you up in chains
Let you rot beside the ill-paved road

Born too late for the First World War
The Siege of Troy was long before my time
Naseby, Jutland, Agincourt
Characters perhaps from pantomime"

- 'Knobheads on Quiz Shows' by Half Man, Half Biscuit

IsavedLatin

Quote from: checkoutgirl on May 13, 2022, 08:50:02 PMYou might also allow for the fact that it takes time to aquire information. I'm 43 so was not around for Joy Division in that at best I was 2 years old. But it might have taken me to the age of 25 or even 30 to familiarise myself with Tony Wilson, Factory etc.

And that's someone who finds it interesting and is of average intelligence. There are many factors at play.

I think my own beef with "before my time" people is not that they don't know a thing -- because of course, you can't know everything* -- the problem is the attitude implied by the statement. In my experience, it's never deployed by people who will ever say something like "ah, I didn't know that and I must find out more about that!", it's said only by people who are and wish to remain incurious about the world. Something being "before their time" absolves them, in their minds, of ever having to look beyond the ends of their noses.

*An example that is very live to me just at the moment: I am in my early 30s and have just discovered the band Sparks, as evidenced at length in the Oscillations thread. I don't feel any shame about not having got round to them before this stage of the game -- the world is large and I spent plenty of years learning about and enjoying plenty of other culture before this latest obsession -- but I'm really delighted to learn about them now that I've been exposed to them. I did not say "these are some old duffers who were on TOTP before I was born, there is nothing more for me to see here".

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: IsavedLatin on May 13, 2022, 11:48:14 PMI think my own beef with "before my time" people is not that they don't know a thing -- because of course, you can't know everything* -- the problem is the attitude implied by the statement. In my experience, it's never deployed by people who will ever say something like "ah, I didn't know that and I must find out more about that!", it's said only by people who are and wish to remain incurious about the world. Something being "before their time" absolves them, in their minds, of ever having to look beyond the ends of their noses.


Perhaps it is a low-key form of willful ignorance but maybe they know themselves well enough to know they won't be interested in certain things. It's unreasonable as it is pointless to expect people to go back and learn about things most of the world has moved on from (excluding, you know, big world changing events and the like), nobody is under any obligation to research someone else's fetid cultural touchstones.

easytarget

Quote from: The Guppy on May 13, 2022, 07:00:04 PMBut things have "a time". If my niece, 12, knew about Nasty Nick from off Big Brother, that would be fucking weird. Nasty Nick is before her time.

It's only true for minor shit like Nasty Nick. The Battle of Hastings is before my time but I know about it. I do not know what was on telly in 1066.

Yes - this.
HMHB raise a good point about knobheads saying "that was before my time" to perfectly reasonable quiz questions, but I've realized I've passively absorbed loads of fucking pop-culture nonsense from the 90s by living through the 90s as a teenager.
Theme tune to Z Cars? dunno mate
Lyrics to Home and Away, Saved By The Bell, Frasier? I'll forget my own name before they leave me.

So, it's a trite thing that idiots say to try to pass as non-idiots, but it also has some validity and I'm going to start using it.

notjosh

Quote from: easytarget on May 14, 2022, 06:41:00 AMYes - this.
HMHB raise a good point about knobheads saying "that was before my time" to perfectly reasonable quiz questions, but I've realized I've passively absorbed loads of fucking pop-culture nonsense from the 90s by living through the 90s as a teenager.
Theme tune to Z Cars? dunno mate
Lyrics to Home and Away, Saved By The Bell, Frasier? I'll forget my own name before they leave me.

So, it's a trite thing that idiots say to try to pass as non-idiots, but it also has some validity and I'm going to start using it.

This is true, but I feel like I have passively absorbed a lot of 70s/80s ephemera by working/hanging around with slightly older people and taking an interest in the things they talk about.

Maybe it's just because my general social awkwardness means that shared pop culture experiences are one of the main ways in which I connect with other people, but I feel like if you're not taking an effort to figure out and experience what was important to the generations before you then you're not really engaging with them.

Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse

Fucking hell folks, have we come to this now? "Lazy incurious young people, how dare they not scurry off and research whatever bit of ancient pop culture I'm talking about"? You sound like Homer Simpson in the Lollapalooza episode.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse on May 14, 2022, 08:45:08 AMFucking hell folks, have we come to this now? "Lazy incurious young people, how dare they not scurry off and research whatever bit of ancient pop culture I'm talking about"? You sound like Homer Simpson in the Lollapalooza episode.