Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 08:23:47 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Artists/bands who don't look/sound like their name

Started by thelittlemango, May 14, 2022, 07:05:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dissolute ocelot

Destroyer definitely qualifies, as an obvious hard rock band name.
Deerhoof should be Scandinavian metal.
The Jam should be reggae.
The Wombats should be an Australian punk/garage band.
BMX Bandits should also be an Australian punk/garage band, or maybe American punks.

PlanktonSideburns

Quote from: good times on May 15, 2022, 11:15:20 AMPixies

was gutted when i found out the main guy didnt look like a snake in emo fancy dress

purlieu

On a tangent, it's quite amusing how totally unfitting the name The Horrors is to the band after they dropped their early gothy image.

The Mollusk

The Eagles bit of their name is a direct reference to the band isn't it? Like, The Beatles of Powerviolence or, to pinch a brilliant phrase my friend used to describe a song once, "the Citizen Kane of makina".

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

The Deftones: a 60s Motown quintet, known for their harmonic singing and matching suits.

Steven88

The Airborne Toxic Event sound like they should be a modern thrash metal band.

boki

Terrorvision once claimed to be "The crossed out name on the back of every local thrasher's army jacket"

jamiefairlie

They Might Be Giants. No, zero possibility of that.

Goldentony

Brundle-Fly

Nah, to me Kiss should be a vocal duo in the vein of Peaches & Herb.

XTC should be an early nineties rave outfit.

Post punks, The Jazz Butcher should've been John Zorn's biggest rival.

New Fast Automatic Daffodils were a Kiwi comedy trio on tour with The Heebeegeebees in 1980 not a Can influenced baggy band.

Greg Torso

Happy Flowers should be a shit Manchester baggy band.

jobotic

Quote from: Greg Torso on May 18, 2022, 09:22:44 AMHappy Flowers should be a shit Manchester baggy band.

The band member names suit their sound though!

wrec

Savage Garden - somewhere between Soft Cell and Coil

Will to Power - these insipid medley purveyors should have been a Laibach-style high-concept industrial project erroneously accused of being fascists in a tabloid article in 1987

Cindytalk - haven't properly checked them out but eventually became aware they're not at all wimpy mid-80s indie

Greg Torso

The Melvins - doo-wop trio from Philadelphia.

Brundle-Fly

Bent should be a skinhead Oi band from Chatham.

The Mollusk

Quote from: Greg Torso on May 18, 2022, 02:46:56 PMThe Melvins - doo-wop trio from Philadelphia.

I've mixed feelings about that name. On one hand, I'm a big fan of the band and it's a suitably dumb and (at the time) subversive name for their sound. On the other hand, to some extent it was the huge launch point for the band to make an entire career of defying expectations which lead to some very mixed results, a handful of which were questionable, controversial, plain ignorant or all three. They are the epitome of "haha bet you didn't expect us to say THAT, critics!" and as they (and we) have got older it's made them look increasingly stupid and childish.

The rapper Mick Jenkins sounds like the name of a bass player from a band like Bread or something.

The Crumb

Warpaint doesn't quite fit a group of mellow elfin stoners.

Chastity Belt's name fit their original bratty garage/punk sound but has become less fitting as they've moved into delicate, introspective indie.

willbo

Fazerdaze should be an ambient or krautrock/prog group

Greg Torso

Quote from: The Mollusk on May 18, 2022, 03:59:32 PMI've mixed feelings about that name.

Yeah it's a stupid name and King Buzzo is a certified knob lodge but in their defence I suppose they've been called that since they were teenagers and now it's just their name you don't even really think about it, cus it's just hey we're the Melvins now let me tell you all about the snowflakes, here's my boy Gavin McInnes fuckn hellll

What's wrong with the name Melvins? Does it have some really offensive connotation?

Video Game Fan 2000

yes its the name of the band Buzz Osborne is in

phantom_power

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on May 18, 2022, 11:07:37 PMWhat's wrong with the name Melvins? Does it have some really offensive connotation?

Isn't Melvin an American name for a nerd or a doofus or something?

The Mollusk

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on May 18, 2022, 11:07:37 PMWhat's wrong with the name Melvins? Does it have some really offensive connotation?

No, it's just that ... well I already explained it in my other post above. But there's nothing wrong with the name in and of itself, and objectively I think it's ace.

Famous Mortimer

A melvin is that thing where you pull someone's pants up while they're still wearing them, right? Or was that just my school?

Not unless you went to school in San Dimas.

The Saturdays, The Sundays and the Happy Mondays sound nothing like each other. Clearly at least one of them has the wrong name.

Famous Mortimer

I knew I'd be immediately shown to be miles off (it was at our school, though, and I think it predated the Bogus Journey although god knows).