Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 23, 2024, 04:34:26 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Nice things that have happened to you

Started by madhair60, May 16, 2022, 12:05:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

imitationleather

Actually ten per fortnight still sounds like quite a lot.

Not bad for a man of my age, eh?

I should probably get a real hobby.

Joe Qunt

Quote from: JesusAndYourBush on May 16, 2022, 04:55:27 PMWhat's a beat mean in this context?  It sounds like you're performing a version of John Cage's "Drum Solo (As Slow As Possible)".

A hip hop beat. The kind one of those rap singers might do a dance to.

Ferris

Won a scholarship at uni that's made a pretty significant financial difference.

Got good at making Neapolitan pizza in my little gas oven thing.

Also gonna be an uncle.

Everything coming up Ferris rn.

imitationleather

Quote from: Ferris on May 16, 2022, 05:10:13 PMWon a scholarship at uni that's made a pretty significant financial difference.

Got good at making Neapolitan pizza in my little gas oven thing.

Also gonna be an uncle.

Yeah but did your missus stay up for three days straight the other weekend?

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

Quote from: imitationleather on May 16, 2022, 04:57:16 PMWhen I was a teenager I'd frequently make over ten beats per day.

Bullshit. Everyone knows that you hit the wank wall at 8, and it's physically impossible to wank anymore after that point.

pigamus

Quote from: madhair60 on May 16, 2022, 04:33:35 PMPlease lock the thread

Don't worry he's going to

*crying laughing emoji*

imitationleather

Quote from: Elderly Sumo Prophecy on May 16, 2022, 05:15:58 PMBullshit. Everyone knows that you hit the wank wall at 8, and it's physically impossible to wank anymore after that point.

You just have to break through that pain barrier and keep going. It gives an amazing sense of achievement that got me through some really dark periods back in the day.

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

Ferris

Quote from: imitationleather on May 16, 2022, 05:12:48 PMYeah but did your missus stay up for three days straight the other weekend?

😘😘😘

(no)

Joe Qunt

Quote from: Elderly Sumo Prophecy on May 16, 2022, 05:15:58 PMBullshit. Everyone knows that you hit the wank wall at 8, and it's physically impossible to wank anymore after that point.

Sounds like something a coward might say.

Dex Sawash

Kankurette

Apart from the CAB meet (except the bit where I got COVID), going to see Sheffield Wednesday's final game of the season at Hillsborough. Balloons! Inflatables! Wednesday players' children in tiny kits! Benito Carbone putting in an appearance! Wednesday actually winning! And it was a sunny day, which made it even better.

JamesTC

Just done a big poo. Clean wipe too.

RetroRobot

Started therapy

Saw my best mate the other day and will be again this weekend

Beagle 2

I was stood at a zebra crossing the other day wearing a Carter the Unstoppable Sex Machine t-shirt (sorry) and a woman who looked about twenty years too young to know who they are came jogging past and said "nice t-shirt" to me. Probably the best thing that's ever happened.

Ferris

Somebody saw my mountain goats T-shirt the other day and said "hey man I love your shirt!" and I didn't know what to do so I said "yes, I think it's good!" and carried on walking.

Quote from: Joe Qunt on May 16, 2022, 01:30:36 PMI've taken up a new creative regime, wherein I make – minimum – one beat a day. In the past three days, I've made four beats and I'm very happy with all of them. Even better, my friends have enjoyed them too.

As I'm an old man, I think of a beat as being a one note, so I was picturing you triggering a single drum sample on a keyboard and going "Yep, job done.". And then I imagined all your friends gathered round your laptop, jaws agape as they await the playback of a solitary cymbal tap, whereupon they all as one raise their fists on high and let out a cry of "YeeEEEAHHHHHH!", and then they carry you on their shoulders all through the streets as passers-by cheer you on.

Joe Qunt

Quote from: Ron Maels Moustache on May 17, 2022, 05:33:15 PMAs I'm an old man, I think of a beat as being a one note, so I was picturing you triggering a single drum sample on a keyboard and going "Yep, job done.". And then I imagined all your friends gathered round your laptop, jaws agape as they await the playback of a solitary cymbal tap, whereupon they all as one raise their fists on high and let out a cry of "YeeEEEAHHHHHH!", and then they carry you on their shoulders all through the streets as passers-by cheer you on.

Now that you mention it, I want that to happen instead.

non capisco

My mum was having a good day today and laughing and smiling a lot, at this stage in her dementia that's worth its weight in gold. It made me so glad to see her happy again. She asked after one of my friends by name and remembered I'm going on holiday soon, kept on asking me if I'd packed enough pairs of pants for some reason. That's Alzheimers comedy gold, apparently. Most of the time her condition looks to me like being trapped in a hellish shrinking cage and I feel completely desolate and frustrated in my inability to help her communicate. Today, not so much. A lot of the time we got there. Love her to bits.

Ferris

Quote from: non capisco on May 21, 2022, 10:35:22 PMMy mum was having a good day today and laughing and smiling a lot, at this stage in her dementia that's worth its weight in gold. It made me so glad to see her happy again. She asked after one of my friends by name and remembered I'm going on holiday soon, kept on asking me if I'd packed enough pairs of pants for some reason. That's Alzheimers comedy gold, apparently. Most of the time her condition looks to me like being trapped in a hellish shrinking cage and I feel completely desolate and frustrated in my inability to help her communicate. Today, not so much. A lot of the time we got there. Love her to bits.

Really nice to read this. Wishing you both the best.

Ferris

God that was genuine. Sorry, I'll be a sarcy prick next time. Promise.

bgmnts

Never heard of wanking referred to as a beat before. Guess i'll have to start referring to musical beats as metre, just in case.

aunt mildred

Quote from: non capisco on May 21, 2022, 10:35:22 PMMy mum was having a good day today and laughing and smiling a lot, at this stage in her dementia that's worth its weight in gold. It made me so glad to see her happy again. She asked after one of my friends by name and remembered I'm going on holiday soon, kept on asking me if I'd packed enough pairs of pants for some reason. That's Alzheimers comedy gold, apparently. Most of the time her condition looks to me like being trapped in a hellish shrinking cage and I feel completely desolate and frustrated in my inability to help her communicate. Today, not so much. A lot of the time we got there. Love her to bits.

Glad you shared this although it made me cry. I know how great it is when a loved one with dementia has a good day. My dear old mum died three years ago because of it. Wishing you all the best in these hard times. You can PM me to discuss it if you want.

Pavlov`s Dog`s Dad`s Dead

Getting special permission to enter the Netherlands at the height of Covid restrictions, despite being neither a Dutch not even an EU citizen.

My TEFL job in SE Asia had finally fallen victim to Covid- related pressures, and we had little alternative but to come home with our tails between our legs . We'd been getting desperate to find a way to bring our rescue cat with us: to be abandoned once is misfortune, twice is well, you know... But the UK, in its infinite wisdom, has put a ban in place on importing animals by air, unless as cargo. Last year, we were quoted around US$6000 for one cat, with the caveat that he may take months to get a space on a plane.

I did know that P&O ferries accepted animals (this was before the shitty employment shenanigans they pulled), and there was an overnight sailing from Rotterdam to Hull. But the regulations stated that third-country citizens could not enter the Netherlands, even as part of an onward journey. I contacted the Dutch Consulate, to confirm I had understood correctly. The vice consul replied to confirm that I had, but also wanting to know why we didn't just fly direct into the UK. I explained, and a week later he wrote to say he'd pulled a few strings, and we'd get a laissez-passer to allow us to bring the cat.

Even though it's some 11 months later as I write this, I am still welling up at this act of kindness. There was no obligation at all on them to act, and indeed the whole Nigel Farrago of Brexit, and the way it shat all over relations with other European countries, would have put him well within his rights to tell us to go complain to Boris. Instead, he went out of his way to help. It's made the transition so much easier for us all, and it's guaranteed a safe and comfortable future for the cat.

The Bumlord

non capisco

Quote from: aunt mildred on May 22, 2022, 03:39:32 AMGlad you shared this although it made me cry. I know how great it is when a loved one with dementia has a good day. My dear old mum died three years ago because of it. Wishing you all the best in these hard times. You can PM me to discuss it if you want.

Thank you aunt mildred (and Ferris).

canadagoose

Someone offered to buy me a drink from the vending machine at Basel Mulhouse airport. I declined as I didn't want to take advantage of her generosity (she might have thought I was down-and-out as I probably looked pretty awful, I'd had 3 hours of sleep and was stressed out). Wonder where she is. I'd gladly buy her something from a vending machine as thanks for her nice gesture.

bgmnts

How often are nice things happening to everyone here on average?

The Mollusk

The Mollusk

Quote from: Ferris on May 16, 2022, 05:10:13 PMAlso gonna be an uncle.

That's not how you become an uncle I hope you know