Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 11:20:35 PM

Login with username, password and session length

OFAH convention in Great Yarmouth where you can meet minor OFAH stars

Started by Fambo Number Mive, May 23, 2022, 09:13:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fambo Number Mive

Thought this was worth a thread of its own.

According to the Eastern Daily Press, some of the lesser known stars of Only Fools and Horses will be at the Jube in Great Yarmouth on Saturday, August 27.

QuoteAppearances will be made by stars such as Michael Fenton Stevens, Daniel Peacock and Philip Pope who all made memorable appearances on the sitcom which ran from 1981 until 2003.

Michael Fenton Stevens is best remembered as Alan Perkins, who made Rodney Trotter a member of the Groovy Gang while he posed as a 14-year-old on holiday in Majorca.

Daniel Peacock played Mickey Maguire, who fronted Rodney's boyband A Bunch of Wallies.

And Philip Pope starred as the 'Singing Dustman' Tony Angelino - who played the singer with an unfortunate speech impediment and left audiences 'cwying' with laughter.

Mike Kemp, best-known as the Trotters' cousin Stan from North London, will also be making an appearance.

The cast will be taking to the stage to discuss their careers and their memories of working with David Jason and Nicholas Lyndhurst, as well as getting the audience involved in recreating side-splitting scenes from the hit comedy show.

There will also be a Q and A, auctions, raffles and a chance to buy memorabilia

Following the event, there will be an Only Fools and Horses themed disco featuring songs from the show and, although optional, the best fancy dress will win a prize...

https://www.edp24.co.uk/news/great-yarmouth-summer-only-fools-horses-convention-meet-8984306

I've never been to a comedy convention, have any of you? I don't want to sound snide, but while I can understand wanting to meet the actor who played Tony Angelino, the characters of Alan Perkins and Micky Maguire sound less exciting.

Is that what happens at comedy conventions, lesser-known actors are mainly the ones who come along? I suppose your Lyndhursts and your Jasons would be a lot more busy than the lesser-known actors.

Does anyone plan to go to this convention? It does sound quite fun and it would be interesting to hear how other actors found it working on OFAH. Someone should start a podcast where they interview actors from OFAH, like they did with the Bill.

Twilkes

I watched a doc about Star Wars bit part actors attending conventions, and as long as you take it for what it is it should be fun. Some of the bit part actors didn't necessarily take it for what it is though...

Worth hearing Fenton Stevens and Philip Pope talk though, they're famous for much more than OFAH.

Rolf Lundgren

Quote from: Twilkes on May 23, 2022, 09:19:08 PMWorth hearing Fenton Stevens and Philip Pope talk though, they're famous for much more than OFAH.

Would happily spend an evening in their company and throw in Daniel Peacock too. An event that sounds unimpressive on paper but would actually be very entertaining.

Fambo Number Mive

I feel a bit of a plonker now for not looking up Stevens , Peacock, and Pope on Wikipedia before my original post. Having done so, all three have clearly lead very interesting lives with lots of experience in television, in particular FS.

It sounds like a really good evening, am actually considering going myself.

jobotic

If you start asking questions that are non OFAH you'll get booed by the crowd.

"Ask them about Trigger's broom you wanker"

Twonty Gostelow

Quote from: Fambo Number Mive on May 23, 2022, 09:46:21 PMI feel a bit of a plonker now for not looking up Stevens , Peacock, and Pope on Wikipedia before my original post. Having done so, all three have clearly lead very interesting lives with lots of experience in television, in particular FS.

Highlights for all three of them:

Glebe

And I imagine you could do worse than round out the day with a visit to Louis Tussaud's!

McDead

I met Philip Pope when I worked at Blockbuster Video in the nineties. Nice guy, seemed fairly surprised when I told him I loved his work.

Would like to go to this tbh, but would exclusively ask questions about KYTV, Chelmsford 123 and The Greatest Show in the Galaxy

DrGreggles

Philip Pope is great, loved his Radio Active parodies.
Had no idea he was in OFAH.

Glebe

Pope is very much a musical comedy bloke, he's composed a fair bit of comedy show theme music and such apparently, including the cracking Who Dares Wins (in which he featured alongside Tony Robinson et al) theme:

Uncle TechTip

Michael Fenton-Stevens was the singer on The Chicken Song.

Utter Shit

I've never been to one of these conventions but I'd love to, as a massive OFAH nerd. The show has been such a huge part of my life and acted as a comfort blanket through occasional mental health issues. I get why it must seem mad to an outsider why anyone would care about meeting bit-part characters from a show that finished 20 years ago, but as a massive fan even the minor characters feel like they have significant meaning in the world of the show.

Fambo Number Mive

If anyone is planning to go, the ticket booking link can be accessed via the EDP link in my original post.

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

I need to stop clicking on some of these links because my phone now thinks I'm a genuine fan, and keeps suggesting articles entitled things like "Cassandra's 10 Greatest Moments" to me.

JamesTC

Quote from: Elderly Sumo Prophecy on May 24, 2022, 01:41:42 PMI need to stop clicking on some of these links because my phone now thinks I'm a genuine fan, and keeps suggesting articles entitled things like "Cassandra's 10 Greatest Moments" to me.

Please tell me that is a real article!

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

DrGreggles

Quote from: Uncle TechTip on May 24, 2022, 09:24:02 AMMichael Fenton-Stevens was the singer on The Chicken Song.

And Philip Pope wrote it.
Get Rob Grant, Doug Naylor and Kate Robbins involved and then you've really got something to celebrate.

Quote from: Elderly Sumo Prophecy on May 24, 2022, 01:41:42 PMI need to stop clicking on some of these links because my phone now thinks I'm a genuine fan, and keeps suggesting articles entitled things like "Cassandra's 10 Greatest Moments" to me.

Remember Damien Trotter? Try not to gasp when you see him now.

imitationleather

Replies From View

Quote from: Glebe on May 23, 2022, 10:56:12 PMAnd I imagine you could do worse than round out the day with a visit to Louis Tussaud's!

Where all the known characters from the same show are melted beyond all recognition and look like the lesser known actors, to their delight.