Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:28:48 PM

Login with username, password and session length

LIzzie Line

Started by Tony Tony Tony, May 24, 2022, 09:30:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

iamcoop

Quote from: imitationleather on May 24, 2022, 01:46:41 PMI gotta hear about this other fairly useful stuff that Reading now has.

The other thing was a semi-decent gig venue.

That's honestly about the sum of it.

sovietrussia

Quote from: iamcoop on May 24, 2022, 01:43:25 PMYet again the town of Reading gets something fairly useful almost 20 years after I moved away from there.

I hope everyone there fucking ENJOYS it.

Useful in the sense that it can get the fleer-of-Reading out in a modern, clean hurry (for now).

iamcoop

Well yeah, this is it. Late night travel options to and from London with tube pricing would've been a fucking godsend to a teenage me, instead of having to leg it to Paddington for the 23:21 nightcrawler back on a friday night.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: shoulders on May 24, 2022, 01:21:45 PMThat was also, while not useless, many orders of priority less important than improving regional rail infrastructure.

I agree regional far more important but a related subway nugget:

QuoteThe Glasgow Subway, which opened 126 years ago, is the oldest in the world to have never been extended.

The second oldest Subway with no extensions (either completed or in-progress) is in Brescia, Italy and opened 9 years ago.

https://twitter.com/EuanYours/status/1529012369115992066

I guess this technically excludes the closure of Merkland Street station and it's replacement with the Partick interchange as the track/route didn't change.

poodlefaker

Gonna get the Crossrail next time I go Eurodisney through the Chunnel

shoulders

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on May 24, 2022, 02:15:41 PMI agree regional far more important but a related subway nugget:

https://twitter.com/EuanYours/status/1529012369115992066

I guess this technically excludes the closure of Merkland Street station and it's replacement with the Partick interchange as the track/route didn't change.

I dunno Glasgow too well, how useful is the one line? I'm guessing fairly. Or is it just something you use if it suits you that could be majorly improved/expanded?

I was looking at Newcastle metro and what a great service that is even if nearly all of it happens to serve the Tyne and coastal suburbs. Almost indulgent.

Living in the largest city in Europe with no mass transport system, I'm jealous of all of it. Even a simple tram journey I find endlessly novel. Done right it's fucking luxury for the masses.

If you want to get around Leeds you're stuck with the awful bus network that is so fucked half the journeys across town still force you to go into the centre to go back out again. The suburban rail which isn't integrated meaning there is effectively no limit on how much money you can spend doing the same type of journey you can do in somewhere like Prague for a set fee, that actually encourages activity. The whole connection with drudgery and wage slavery. And it gets even more laughably bad if you ride a bike.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: shoulders on May 24, 2022, 02:54:00 PMI dunno Glasgow too well, how useful is the one line? I'm guessing fairly. Or is it just something you use if it suits you that could be majorly improved/expanded?

It's not bad for getting to Central station or to get to something on the other side of the Clyde faster than a bus/train (I sometimes use it to get to The Laurieston at Bridge St) but it doesn't go particularly deep into anywhere.

I don't use it all that much but that's because the nearest station to me is half-way into town and I live on a main bus route that goes the whole way. But buses are a nightmare in themselves due to partially-overlapping operators covering different parts of the city.

steveh

Publicity for the opening seems to be keeping quiet that Crossrail is operated by MTR Corporation, which is almost entirely owned by the Hong Kong Government.

shoulders

Yes looks like two metro lines transecting diagonally from somewhere within that circle  would be extremely useful.

dissolute ocelot

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on May 24, 2022, 03:00:34 PMIt's not bad for getting to Central station or to get to something on the other side of the Clyde faster than a bus/train (I sometimes use it to get to The Laurieston at Bridge St) but it doesn't go particularly deep into anywhere.

I don't use it all that much but that's because the nearest station to me is half-way into town and I live on a main bus route that goes the whole way. But buses are a nightmare in themselves due to partially-overlapping operators covering different parts of the city.
There have been plans since the 1930s to upgrade Glasgow Subway - this document shows some of them, with a possible circle going out to Celtic Park in the east, a branch to Cathcart in the south (near Hampden Park football stadium), and maybe a couple of other little bits. The SNP were proposing it in 2017 but refusing to give any Scottish government money, repeating a long pattern.

IMO, Glasgow has a fairly decent suburban rail system, and sorting the buses out would be more use. But buses aren't sexy in the way a metro system is. The current Subway is good to get from the main railway stations to two destinations: the fashionable West End or Ibrox (Rangers' ground). South Glasgow is a mystery to me.

Glebe

"I was on the Lizzie Line, you were on the Bakerloo..."

Fambo Number Mive

There's a second Crossrail planned running from Surrey to Hertfordshire:

https://crossrail2.co.uk/route/route-map/

Not sure this will ever happen, given the drop in commuter rail usage. Apparently Johnson wanted to call the line the Churchill Line.

imitationleather

Given it's taken around 50 years to take Crossrail from concept to people queueing up to try it out, we'll all be in our cold, cold graves by the time the sequel is ready.

Also Churchill Line lol

Glebe

Gurke and Hare

Quote from: king_tubby on May 24, 2022, 11:34:51 AMOh wow, did London get some more billions chucked at public transport?

Well BIG FUCKING DEAL.

No, these are the same billions you've been whining about for ages now.

shoulders

Quote from: Fambo Number Mive on May 24, 2022, 06:46:25 PMThere's a second Crossrail planned running from Surrey to Hertfordshire:

https://crossrail2.co.uk/route/route-map/

Not sure this will ever happen, given the drop in commuter rail usage. Apparently Johnson wanted to call the line the Churchill Line.

Something more evocative would be better.. The Maginot Line?

shoulders

Quote from: Gurke and Hare on May 24, 2022, 11:41:21 PMwhining about for ages now.

Outside London regional transport infrastructure is shit and worth whining about, just as Londoners whine justifiably about how expensive living there is. Almost like there is an interrelationship between the two.

The Mollusk

Gonna be having a go on this in about half an hour. My journey, for the curious, is Custom House to Farringdon. I will report back with my findings.

shoulders

Can't wait to put my feet on the seats, litter and spit and also make scratch marks on the metal work as is fashionable

The Mollusk

Yeah it's alright this. Basically like the new overground trains but purple. Same noises, same lass doing the station announcements. Station staff were loving it, all in their purple V-neck and ties. Bloke at the barrier said good morning to me. I spat on his shoes. Farringdon platforms and walkways are lovely, big open spaces, nice curvature on the architecture. The train has got those really tight 4-seat sections with 2 facing the other 2 either side of the walkway like on the Metropolitan and Bakerloo which is utterly wretched. 7/10

Sebastian Cobb

Has it got toilets, if you're quick you might get to be the first person to block one.

willbo

there was also a guy dressed as Chris Chan heavily featured in the media coverage -

Sebastian Cobb

I had no idea who that was but thought he looked a bit like Neil Maskell.

The Mollusk

Imagine queuing in the rain for this.

Even as a nerd myself I can safely describe the people in that queue as NERDS.

shoulders

What about the announcer that calls you and the other commuters pustules?

What's the need for that?

Blumf

You know in Japan where they have station staff push crowds of people onto the train? Can they do that here, even when it's not packed, but use cattle prods and shout abuse at the passengers.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Blumf on May 25, 2022, 03:10:16 PMYou know in Japan where they have station staff push crowds of people onto the train? Can they do that here, even when it's not packed, but use cattle prods and shout abuse at the passengers.

Ideologically the people in charge of TFL want as few staff as possible, that's why they keep replacing station staff with machines that can't do other basic station duties like help disabled people navigate archaic underground stations with poor accessibility.

Fambo Number Mive

Looks like at least one commuter isn't happy with Crossrail:

QuoteAlthough the promised sped up journey times have been enough to placate the delays for most Londoners, some like Bridget who live on the route of the future line are just not convinced. For the first year of operation, the Elizabeth line will be divided into three then two portions - meaning end-to-end journeys will not be immediately possible.

If you live on the Liverpool Street-Shenfield via Stratford section, you'll still have to change at Liverpool Street and Paddington to travel further west, reducing to one change in the autumn. It won't be direct until May 2023, according to current plans. For Bridget, who MyLondon met last September, enough is enough. After learning of the final, confirmed day one service pattern ( three separate sections, no Sunday service on the central section and no toilets on trains ) she's given up the hope of the easy Elizabeth line life she thought she would have. She's leaving London altogether.

Bridget makes a twice-weekly journey from her home in Chadwell Heath, in East London to Burnham, in Berkshire, with her six-year-old daughter. It can currently take up to three hours due to the ongoing, often Crossrail -related, engineering works and testing closures which have blighted the route on weekends.

Although the journey should be quicker once the final, full Elizabeth line timetable is in operation from next year, as the interchanges and additional waiting times at Liverpool Street and Paddington on the initial service will be so inconvenient, Bridget has decided to move to The Cotswolds, where she can drive to Burnham in an hour door-to-door with a cross-platform interchange at Reading as a back-up if she takes the train...

QuoteFor her particular journey, she has calculated that it is actually quicker and easier to change at Stratford, take the Central line to Ealing Broadway and pick up the Elizabeth line there again than stick to the three separate Elizabeth line sections the whole way. Stratford and Ealing Broadway have cross-platform interchanges with step-free access between the Elizabeth and Central lines whereas Paddington and Liverpool Street do not.

Then why not just do that rather than moving to the Cotswolds and driving to Burnham? Or move somewhere in West London 

https://www.mylondon.news/news/east-london-news/crossrail-elizabeth-lines-launch-service-23970358

Pavlov`s Dog`s Dad`s Dead

The plaintive sound of hundreds of tiny violins being tuned up for Bridget, there.

Dr Trouser

"Bridget looks at the Elizabeth line roundel with disappointment."

First belly laugh of the day.