Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 08:02:35 PM

Login with username, password and session length

gimme some good non-violent dramas please

Started by The Mollusk, June 12, 2022, 04:55:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Mollusk

Only the best, the absolute creme de la creme, the PINNACLE of televised dramas that contain little to no blood and gore

I have seen Mad Men and Twin Peaks

Aaaand GO

imitationleather

I just watched The Act, a drama about the completely crazy Gypsy Rose Blanchard case, and it was really good.

It does contain a murder. Just one, though. Which is basically zero when you think about it. So pretty much not violent at all and totally within the spirit of the thread.

imitationleather

If you want a genuinely non-violent drama watch, I dunno, The Love Boat or something.

The Mollusk

Quote from: imitationleather on June 12, 2022, 04:58:59 PMI just watched The Act, a drama about the completely crazy Gypsy Rose Blanchard case, and it was really good.

It does contain a murder. Just one, though. Which is basically zero when you think about it. So pretty much not violent at all and totally within the spirit of the thread.

Looks deece. I should have specified I'm more after long running multiple series type shows but I'll look into this one also.

selectivememory

Succession seems an obvious choice if you haven't seen that. Some would say it's more comedy than drama, but I find it sits comfortably in both camps.

The Leftovers was amazing also. Can't remember there being much gore in that, though there may have been a bit. Certainly no more than Twin Peaks.

Deliciousbass

The Singing Detective is very good i think and not very violent.

Edit - not a long series though. just a classy sixer

Mobius

Kings, Rectify, Rubicon

From memory none of those are particularly violent or bloody...

phantom_power

Severance is the best show around at the moment and pretty violence-free

dontpaintyourteeth

100% seconding the Sucession er, suggestion.

badaids

Quote from: The Mollusk on June 12, 2022, 04:55:31 PMOnly the best, the absolute creme de la creme, the PINNACLE of televised dramas that contain little to no blood and gore

I have seen Mad Men and Twin Peaks

Aaaand GO

Home and Away mate all the episodes.

JaDanketies

Six Feet Under was great. The last episode is up there with the best last episodes of anything ever.

About a family of characters who run a funeral parlour, none of whom are particularly good or bad. Every episode starts with a (almost always non-violent and non-gory) death that the family will be working with that episode, but it is serialised. A young Michael C Hall aka Dexter is one of the leads.

It was made by HBO at the same time they were making all the other Best TV Of All Time like The Sopranos and Oz and The Wire.

Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse

If you have Netflix and you haven't seen it yet, Bojack Horseman. It's about a former sitcom actor who hasn't really done anything since the show that made him a megastar. He hires a ghostwriter to write his memoir and working with her is the catalyst for six seasons of him running from and ultimately facing up to his depression, addiction and demons. Also it takes place in a cartoon world where all the animals walk and talk like humans. It has very dark moments but ultimately a happy ending for its five main characters. And no blood, gore or murders.

purlieu

Quote from: selectivememory on June 12, 2022, 05:05:55 PMThe Leftovers was amazing also. Can't remember there being much gore in that, though there may have been a bit. Certainly no more than Twin Peaks.
Would second this.

Obviously don't watch Casualty from the start like I am at the moment. Lots of gore in that.

The Guppy

The Leftovers is excellent. It's not entirely non-violent though. For example:
Spoiler alert
a woman is stoned to death in season 1. Another woman slits her own throat after being tortured.
[close]

But yeah if you were alright with Twin Peaks, you'll be alright with this.

phantom_power

I really enjoyed the first season of The Sinner (Netflix), though I haven't seen any of the other ones.

On Prime there is Red Oaks (80s set comedy), Lodge 49 (quirky sort-of-metaphysical comedy, though they only have the first season for some reason) and Elementary (fun Sherlock Holmes modernisation)

The Mollusk

It's my wife who can't stand violence in media by the way, not me! I LOVE the stuff, honestly! This is actually totally true. Anyone who knows me can vouch for my love of ridiculously grizzly italo horror films.

Thanks for all the suggestions! We've nearly finished Better Call Saul now (couple episodes to go before we hit the mid season break, I have to pause it after a violent scene and describe what happened haha) so will be eager to find something else to dive into.

neveragain

The Shrink Next Door, with Will Ferrell and Paul Rudd on Apple, is quite good. Ferrell is a low-status guy who ends up getting manipulated and later conned by his suave therapist (Rudd). I'm only halfway through so don't know if it gets violent.

Mister Six

Quote from: Mobius on June 13, 2022, 02:07:31 AMKings, Rectify, Rubicon

From memory none of those are particularly violent or bloody...

Rectify has a murder in the pilot and a couple of punch-ups, but nothing too grisly, I think.

It's also one of, if not the, best written TV series ever.

Mister Six

Quote from: Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse on June 13, 2022, 10:39:47 AMAnd no blood, gore or murders.

A fella gets violently and bloodily shanked in a prison riot in the early episodes, but the tone of the show as a whole is so cartoony and daft it's hard to take it too seriously. I don't think there's much after that point though.

Quote from: neveragain on June 13, 2022, 08:31:56 PMThe Shrink Next Door, with Will Ferrell and Paul Rudd on Apple, is quite good. Ferrell is a low-status guy who ends up getting manipulated and later conned by his suave therapist (Rudd). I'm only halfway through so don't know if it gets violent.
Ooooh I heard the Wondery podcast that the drama's based on. It doesn't get violent. Just a lot of emotional manipulation and conning.

Quote from: Mister Six on June 13, 2022, 08:47:27 PMA fella gets violently and bloodily shanked in a prison riot in the early episodes, but the tone of the show as a whole is so cartoony and daft it's hard to take it too seriously. I don't think there's much after that point though.
Actually now that I think about it there's a bit of self-harm in S1 ep 3 (played for laughs) and an assault (non-fatal, no blood, but very traumatising for the victim) in S5 ep 11.

Old Nehamkin

Friday Night Lights is good. Not a fancy pants prestige type show or anything but a really solid, high-end teen/sport drama where almost nobody gets violently killed.

Rectify is immense.

madhair60

notjosh

If you like Mad Men then I reckon you would enjoy For All Mankind, just beginning its third series.

KennyMonster

Quote from: phantom_power on June 13, 2022, 08:55:32 AMSeverance is the best show around at the moment and pretty violence-free

I second this, just saw the end of the first series a couple of nights ago and it great watch in a 'where the hell is this going?' kind of way.

Edit, I've seen the thread now.

I have a theory, is there a thread on this show already?

phantom_power

Only Murders in the Building, apart from the murders

Replies From View

Ankles Punched Off starring Peter Andre as two ankles that are calmly punched off Tobey Maguire's legs by Derek Jacobi (as himself)

non capisco

Previously recommended The Leftovers is absolutely superb (especially series 2 & 3) but one episode features a woman getting stoned to death and is one of the most grisly and disturbing sequences I think I've ever seen in a TV drama (outside of the episode of Eastenders when Frank Butcher turned up naked at Pat's house with a revolving bow tie) so I think that one scene would get a hard nope from Mrs. Mollusk.

edit: someone's already said this.

Put me down as another who loved the slow yet rewarding Rectify (which also introduced me to the song Shark Fin Blues by The Drones which has become one of my all time favourites). Some people I recommended it to at the time didn't go for it at all though. I appreciate the pace is set to crawl speed even compared to the middle stretches of something like Mad Men but I found it to pack an emotional whallop where it counted.

thr0b

If you fancy a show that ended with an unresolved cliffhanger, that is (mostly) non-violent, have a look at The OA on Netflix.

Twin Peaks weirdness abounds, and the cliffhanger set up something that could've gone in all sorts of even weirder and fun directions, and Netflix looked at the acclaim and said "Nah, you're alright mate."

selectivememory

Whoops. I'd completely wiped that horrific stoning scene in The Leftovers from my memory.