Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,574,320
  • Total Topics: 106,599
  • Online Today: 546
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 16, 2024, 04:56:15 AM

Login with username, password and session length

gimme some good non-violent dramas please

Started by The Mollusk, June 12, 2022, 04:55:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blue Jam

Succession does have a bit where
Spoiler alert
Logan punches Roman so hard he causes him to lose a back tooth
[close]
but it isn't too graphic. There is also a bit where the cause of a bad smell in the house is discovered and it turns out to be
Spoiler alert
a bag of dead raccoons which had been stuffed up a chimney by a disgruntled builder
[close]
and you might want to look away at that point if you're squeamish about
Spoiler alert
maggots
[close]
otherwise, knock yourself out.

Undone (on Amazon Prime) is another good one. One character
Spoiler alert
cuts their wrists
[close]
in a flashback but it isn't graphic and the blood is animated so it's not too gory either. There is a (MASSIVE SPOILER):
Spoiler alert
murder-suicide, but it involves a car being driven off a cliff and you don't see the impact or the dead bodies
[close]
so that's not gory either.

Blue Jam

Poobum

What about good period dramas? Helen Mirren's Catherine the Great is quite good. I can't remember Versailles being overly violent, though their is abuse stuff. I liked the 2016 War and Peace adaption as well.

Blue Jam

Neville Chamberlain

Borgen. Watching the new series Power & Glory now - it's bloody great!

checkoutgirl

The Monocled Mutineer, four parter with Paul McGann from 1986. Set in WWI so there might be a bit of violence but it's more about the soldiers trying to avoid violence.

Upstairs Downstairs is supposed to be good, haven't gotten around to watching it yet.

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

Quote from: The Mollusk on June 13, 2022, 12:18:09 PMIt's my wife who can't stand violence in media by the way, not me! I LOVE the stuff, honestly! This is actually totally true. Anyone who knows me can vouch for my love of ridiculously grizzly italo horror films.

Thanks for all the suggestions! We've nearly finished Better Call Saul now (couple episodes to go before we hit the mid season break, I have to pause it after a violent scene and describe what happened haha) so will be eager to find something else to dive into.

Jesus Christ. Tell her to man up.

The Mollusk

phantom_power

Quote from: Poobum on June 14, 2022, 01:13:45 PMWhat about good period dramas? Helen Mirren's Catherine the Great is quite good. I can't remember Versailles being overly violent, though their is abuse stuff. I liked the 2016 War and Peace adaption as well.

The Great is very good with Nicolas Holt and one of the Fannings (Elle?)

beanheadmcginty

Mister Six

Quote from: Blue Jam on June 14, 2022, 01:07:58 PMSuccession does have a bit where
Spoiler alert
Logan punches Roman so hard he causes him to lose a back tooth
[close]
but it isn't too graphic. There is also a bit where the cause of a bad smell in the house is discovered and it turns out to be
Spoiler alert
a bag of dead raccoons which had been stuffed up a chimney by a disgruntled builder
[close]
and you might want to look away at that point if you're squeamish about
Spoiler alert
maggots
[close]
otherwise, knock yourself out.

There's also a bit in that same season where a bloke jumps into a swimming pool and knocks his front teeth out, and you see him staggering about, moaning into a bloody towel a bit later.

superthunderstingcar

Get The Sandbaggers watched. Sure it's about MI6 and spies and that, but it's a low-budget 1970s series so most of the time it concentrates on the office politics back in London ("men shouting in rooms"). And yet it manages to make that every bit as thrilling as the missions themselves.

Dex Sawash

Quote from: notjosh on June 13, 2022, 09:44:35 PMIf you like Mad Men then I reckon you would enjoy For All Mankind, just beginning its third series.

It may be important to not know ahead of time that this is an

Spoiler alert
alternate history show which is revealed to great effect at end of first episode
[close]

So avoid spoilers or reviews until after watching the first episode.

People do get hurt/dead in this though.

notjosh

[For all Mankind]

Quote from: Dex Sawash on June 16, 2022, 11:33:21 AMPeople do get hurt/dead in this though.

Yeah, there are some extremely sad deaths in it, though I can only think of one example of violence. I wouldn't call it squeam-inducing though.

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

Gimme gimme gimme some non-violent dramas
Won't somebody help me chase the shadows away

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Quote from: phantom_power on June 14, 2022, 03:06:41 PMThe Great is very good with Nicolas Holt and one of the Fannings (Elle?)
It certainly lives up to its title. It is a bit violent though.

phantom_power

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on June 18, 2022, 02:52:58 PMIt certainly lives up to its title. It is a bit violent though.

It is but it is generally quite cartoonish. I have only seen the first 5 or 6 episodes though so it might get more violent after that