Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,559,185
  • Total Topics: 106,348
  • Online Today: 767
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 05:59:08 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Will CDs have a resurgence like vinyl did?

Started by Martin Van Buren Stan, June 14, 2022, 09:44:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SpiderChrist

I have started ignoring the vinyl racks and looking for CDs instead. Picked up Stoner Witch by The Melvins in my local Oxfam for £2 a couple of months back.

dontpaintyourteeth

There is one rather extraordinary British Heart Foundation near me that always has insane stuff in its cd section- got a Meredith Monk cd in there once. And this Julian Cope bootleg https://www.discogs.com/release/5415653-Julian-Cope-Rarities

Martin Van Buren Stan

Quote from: Johnboy on June 15, 2022, 04:12:13 PMI'd say they'll get more popular yes.

At the moment t's the golden age of charity shop CD finds - fill yer boots.

I think the golden age has passed us and we're regressing into the silver age. A couple years back I saw an amazing collection of albums in the cd rack of a local charity shop.  Dozens of albums by Radiohead, Beck, Sonic Youth, Bob Dylan, the fall, the smiths, and others. 4 for £1. And I didn't buy any. Daft. I also remember cash converters and similar shops selling albums at 2 for £1 for a few years but I was only interested in vinyl then. These days most shops are back up to £1-2 each for good CDs and as far as I know cash converters don't sell em at all

purlieu

There's nothing like stumbling across a charity shop that's recently been visited by someone with taste clearing out their CD collection.

All wallpaper comments have been duly noted.

Rich Uncle Skeleton

Quote from: purlieu on June 18, 2022, 04:02:35 PMThere's nothing like stumbling across a charity shop that's recently been visited by someone with taste clearing out their CD collection.

What a feeling! Idly flicking through CDs and suddenly finding half a dozen singles by a favourite band.

Long given up hope of finding anything ive wanted in charity shops as I cynically assume that, on top of charity shops being a bit more on the ball, dealers go hunting all the time and hoover up anything good.

Kankurette

I hope so, because I still buy them (and yes, I've found some beauties in charity shops, and flogged some of my own CDs in Oxfam when I worked there, and it was nice serving people who'd bought them). I'm an old fart and I don't have anything to play vinyl on, plus I like artwork, and I like having something tangible. If my computer explodes or gets nicked, I still have CDs.

holyzombiejesus

It's odd but as someone who has been buying music for 40 years, I have no interest in CDs whatsoever. Would prefer free downloads from slsk. I never stopped buying records and most things I wanted still came out on vinyl even when CDSs were at their most popular. I really hate it when people fetishise vinyl or make out that by buying it you are some kind 'collector'.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on June 14, 2022, 11:53:00 PMI picked this bastard off gumtree a few weeks ago though. I did make sure it made noise and lit up when I checked it out but it wans't until I got it home I realised it played bright for about half a second before dulling up, I'd already swabbed it with isop by that point but a good shine with a torch showed more deposits on the capstan and corresponding stripes on the pinch roller so I bought replacement belts and rollers from Portugal for a tenner. I found a good service summary for a posher model from the same line.

I think I fixed it, hard to tell really.

In seriousness, one small problem I had was that the tape counter belt that goes round one of the take-up sprockets had turned to a gummy paste and it turns out the back of the gear that drives it has a load of stripes on it for an optical reader to look at and determine that the tape is moving, these rubbed off so when I put it back together the auto-stop kept triggering, I had to go to the shop and buy a sharpee.

The Mollusk

Get yourselves to That London and scour the charity shops here for CDs. I'd say roughly half the time I find something good and everything is equally priced at £1-2. British Heart Foundation bizarrely has the highest hit rate by some considerable distance, in my 5-10 years of experience. Certain areas are better than others - obviously trendy areas are best and places like Wimbledon are shit because posh people all listen to Paulo Nutini and Kula Shaker. I found a Trencher album in Clapham Junction not long ago, that was a real eyebrow raiser.

@Pink Gregory on eBay you can get huge shelf units which are perfect for CDs for about £70. The one I've got is almost full and my collection is about 1200 so you definitely get your money's worth.

JohnnyCouncil

Ealing Green Oxfam has regularly been a treasure trove of CDs and Vinyl.

thenoise

Downloads would have easily surpassed CD sales years ago if they weren't so ridiculously overpriced.

£10 for a CD vs. £9.99 download - ooh so I can save a penny and don't have to bother waiting for postage and have it straight in my iTunes already? Um, yes. Or you can buy it used to £3. Or buy it for £10, rip it to your computer and sell it for £3. When you have more than a few dozen CDs these differences soon add up.

Having something tangible and resalable rather than downloads on a computer is some comfort to those of us who live paycheck to paycheck (i.e. 99% of people under 65). I've had to sell a box or two to get me back in the black a few times.

Martin Van Buren Stan

@thenoise let me know when you're desperate again. I'll take a few boxes off your hands at a "reasonable" price, believe me!

thenoise

I'm sticking to listening to CDs in the car atm due to rather strict new regulations on phone use - which could see me lose my licence, at least in theory, for switching to a new track while in stationary traffic. No laws against switching CDs or skipping tracks on my CD player.

Sebastian Cobb

I'm currently recording a 2 hour Greg Wilson mix onto a C120. I even went to the hassle of finding an adequate split-point in audacity and fading it.

PaulTMA

I've decided that all my shit-looking old 80s CDs with badly cropped artwork and generic silver-faced labels all look really cool now, so there is that.

Sebastian Cobb

I bought a Kid Acne tape of additional remixes from an album I already had and was a little disappointed to find that the 8 tracks were recorded to either side and sides A/B were effectively identical.

purlieu

Of possible interest, here's a list of CD-focused labels I'm a fan of. There are doubtless many more out there, but these ones came to mind. Many of them are still CD/CDr-only, and some of them have started up or switched to CDs in the past couple of years. Mostly ambient/experimental stuff, but there's some jazz, folk and classical labels in there too.

willbo

Quote from: Martin Van Buren Stan on June 18, 2022, 02:14:24 PMI think the golden age has passed us and we're regressing into the silver age. A couple years back I saw an amazing collection of albums in the cd rack of a local charity shop.  Dozens of albums by Radiohead, Beck, Sonic Youth, Bob Dylan, the fall, the smiths, and others. 4 for £1. And I didn't buy any. Daft.

My local heart foundation shop always has a couple of copies of OK Computer among the piles of Robbie Williams and Overtones. I think back in '97 when Q magazine was calling OKC the best album of all time a lot of fools bought it, got it home, and realised "oh this is pretentious art student crap that noone with any soul could enjoy" (only joking, hee hee). I did get a great Supremes greatest hits from the same shop tho.