Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 12:18:22 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Shaving Advice

Started by Tony Tony Tony, June 16, 2022, 10:05:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tony Tony Tony

With apologies if this has been discussed previously.

I have always wet shaved and lately found my razor of choice, a Gillette Mach 3, to be increasingly unsatisfactory.

I am considering the purchase of an electric job but baulking at the outlay if it turns out unsatisfactory.

So what do you smooth chinned CaBbers utilise?

I would consider one of those cut throat jobs as I once had a shave in Turkey that left my chin slaying the opposite sex at 100 paces but feel it would be too dangerous.

All comments welcome, wet or eleccy?

Martin Van Buren Stan

I use a Philips oneblade because I don't shave much or need a full, close shave. Don't mind a bit of stubble. I think the oneblade is about as close you can get to a proper shave by using an electric shaver and it costs about £30. You can always do one quick pass with the OB then finish off with a wet shave

I used safety razors for a bit. Way better and cheaper than cartridge razors but I don't give a fucking shit anymore

Sebastian Cobb

My advice would be 'don't bother' failing that the best electric shavers I've had have been remington or braun double foils with a trimmer in the middle.

Wahl aren't bad either but their consumer shavers are actually quite cheap and plastic compared to their sturdy barber head shavers.

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

Could try Harry's:
https://www.harrys.com/en/gb/products/the-truman

The main draw there is that the replacement blades are pretty cheap. The only complaint about the razor I have is that there's no textured grip up at the blade end of the handle, so it can get a bit slippy.

As for electric ones, I've got a Philips something or other. They're very good, if pricey.

Top tip: If you buy a Philips and it comes with the charging station that also cleans the blades for you, don't buy the overpriced cleaning fluid cartridges for it. Simply rinse out the one that came with it, add water and a squeeze of washing up liquid. Take that, The Man.

Glebe

I'm a Mach 3 person myself... always cut my face to pieces because I'm so OCD about stubble.

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

They always say that you shouldn't shave against the grain, but if you don't, you still have a millimetre of hair left on your face and don't get a decent shave. Eh?

Sebastian Cobb

I don't get the need to get a perfect 'baby's arse' shave, what's it getting you? A couple of hours tops.

Martin Van Buren Stan

Good vid on how to use a DESR

Compared to Harry's and other cartridge razors DE blades are so cheap. You can get 100 for about £8 and they're good for about 2-3 shaves each.

QDRPHNC

A decent Philips electronic one for every day, and a double edge safety razor for when I want to take my time and do it really well. Same shave as a cutthroat and much easier - also significantly less expensive than a Mach3 in the long run.

Quote from: Glebe on June 16, 2022, 10:19:06 PMI'm a Mach 3 person myself... always cut my face to pieces because I'm so OCD about stubble.

Safety razor, seriously. You'll get the shave with less cuts.

Glebe

What about balls shaving?

Sebastian Cobb

bananacunts banana ramblings mean my general unwillingness to shave can be considered a form of passive solidarity.

Haven't worked this hard since I boycotted soda stream!

Martin Van Buren Stan

Also just saw an advert for Nivea post shave soothing cob. Definitely the best shaving product I've ever used

Fr.Bigley

Best way of dealing with the auld ball sack and adjacent Goochal area is to simply Immac the lot...a nordic freshness befalls the gentleman's personage for a while but you'll really prove a hit to the missus/mister when it comes to your Arabian Goggle game.

I'm tempted to Immac the cat since my sister can't afford an Egyptian Sphynx and we're tired of pebbles anyway.

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

Quote from: Glebe on June 16, 2022, 10:28:45 PMWhat about balls shaving?

The balls are too contoured to be shaven. Immac.

Edit: Yes. What he said ^

Martin Van Buren Stan

Quote from: Elderly Sumo Prophecy on June 16, 2022, 10:35:35 PMThe balls are too contoured to be shaven. Immac.

Don't listen to this advice.

Ray Travez

I use a gilette safety razor I got at a boot fair. I'd guess it's 1950s. Maybe it's 50s, but certainly it was 50p. I use Shark blades because they're cheap and have a picture of a shark on the packet, it's a nice graphic. I'm not a fan of twin blade, triple blade whatever. I've got a brush and a bowl with soap. I like it all to look a bit old-fashioned.

There's a science to shaving. You need to steam your face for at least three minutes before starting the shave. A brush and soap is better than aerosol foam from a can. Using a single blade fucks your face up less- double (or more) blades lift the hair up, then cut it, leading to ingrowing hairs.

I've used a cut-throat safety razor, but never a proper cut-throat, that you sharpen with a strop. I'd like to try, but I doubt I can afford to splash out on what for me would essentially be entertainment.

jobotic

Stopped using razors years ago. Who wants to see my pockmarked jowels? All about the stubble.

Cheapest Remington I could find, set on the shortest setting if I want to look smart and sexy.

Lemming

This will sound insane but I've used an epilator on my face with good results, despite the general consensus being that this is an awful and counterproductive idea. I bought one to remove body hair because I always manage to fuck up big time while shaving my limbs or torso (or, god forbid, bollocks region) and decided the agonising pain was worth the results. Every time I shave my face with a razor, it's totally insufficient because there's beard shadow, and also no matter how careful I am, I get ingrown hairs and redness and general shiteness anyway, so I thought fuck it, let's epilate this. Can only cost you your life, and you got that for free.

Spend a shitton of time exfoliating the face, then moisturise and have a hot shower prior to commencing the torment. You might almost faint from the pain once or twice, and if it's a first time, there's a non-zero chance you'll get Enoch Powell'd (which is to say, rivers of blood will stream from your face). Doing the neck and cheeks in particular is pain like nothing else on Earth. Upper lip area was also so excruciating that I began to hear dead ancestors beckoning me. But every time I've been brave enough to do this, it's been a solid week and a bit of total face smoothness.

Virtually everyone agrees that this is a shit idea and will turn your face into a hideous mass of scars, a vast minefield of ingrown hairs and diseased follicles, and ultimately make you look like Freddy Krueger, so I don't recommend it. But, anecdotally, it worked for me with no apparent ill aftereffects. For a less fuckup-prone option, you might try waxing.

Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse

Yeah before anyone Immacs their balls I advise trying it out on a less sensitive part of the body. I've been shaving my pits and chin for about five years because one day my body decided it was allergic to Veet and Immac. The burning sensation was bad enough on my chin.

AllisonSays

I buy like a mid range disposable razor and then use it for fuckin' ages, with some foam, until it's definitely too blunt to use, it's fine. I did buy a straight razor handle the other day, sans razors, but I'm worried the desire to cut a big line in my stupid idiot face would be too overwhelming if I ever used it.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse on June 16, 2022, 11:30:42 PMYeah before anyone Immacs their balls I advise trying it out on a less sensitive part of the body.

This has reminded me a friend of mine got crabs and his mum told him he should shave his downstairs to get rid, then rang him up half-way through to tell him it wouldn't solve the problem but 'it serves you right for being a dirty bastard'.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

I'm quite bad at shaving, because I've got such a square jaw. #humblebrag

Has anyone ever shaved their body hair? Is it as itchy as folk say? My chest hair has been getting really long and wispy lately. It's starting to poke out of my shirt in a way that suggests I either need to trim it, or get myself a big gold medallion.

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on June 16, 2022, 10:12:04 PMMy advice would be 'don't bother' failing that the best electric shavers I've had have been remington or braun double foils with a trimmer in the middle.

I've got one like that. It takes a while, but does provide a nice clean shave, eventually.

Butchers Blind

Quote from: Martin Van Buren Stan on June 16, 2022, 10:25:05 PMGood vid on how to use a DESR

Jeez, if I shaved three times in a row with my sensitive skin, I'd end up with a face like Simon Weston.

Zero Gravitas

Quote from: Martin Van Buren Stan on June 16, 2022, 10:25:05 PMGood vid on how to use a DESR

Compared to Harry's and other cartridge razors DE blades are so cheap. You can get 100 for about £8 and they're good for about 2-3 shaves each.

I'd agree with this whole heartedly I bought a few hundred of them a few years ago and they're still going strong, the only reason I also own an electric razor (Philips OneBlade also quite good, particularly as your eyebrows start to need regular attention) is you can't get as much as a single DE blade through an airport.

Quote from: Butchers Blind on June 17, 2022, 04:46:21 PMJeez, if I shaved three times in a row with my sensitive skin, I'd end up with a face like Simon Weston.

You'd be surprised how much kinder a single fuck off sharp blade is compared to 5 shitty ones - having said that this isn't 1952 no one at the office is judging me for not looking like a baby at 09:02 one pass and a clean up is enough.

audiocreator

Aloe vera barbadensis and a safety razor.

Safety razor - £30
Lifetime supply of derby razors - £30
Shaving cream (pure aloe), grown at home and liquid gold for skin - Free and powered by the sun.

I walk like an Egyptian and shave like one too.

Pavlov`s Dog`s Dad`s Dead

+1 for DE here. Way cheaper, and much more environmentally friendly than the Mach 11 type nonsense. Poke the Man in the eye.
Quote from: Zero Gravitas on June 17, 2022, 05:02:48 PMthe only reason I also own an electric razor (Philips OneBlade also quite good, particularly as your eyebrows start to need regular attention) is you can't get as much as a single DE blade through an airport.
On the plus side, DE blades are sold almost everywhere, and they can go in checked luggage.

I've taken them as hand luggage about 8 times. Only once a fellow bald at Dublin pulled me up on them

Edit - yes it was painful

Martin Van Buren Stan

I used to use this stuff with a shaving brush. Takes effort but nice and satisfying to work it into a thick creamy lather. Much better than the stuff from tins. Has a nice, clinical smell too