Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,559,184
  • Total Topics: 106,348
  • Online Today: 741
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 05:38:32 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Music best listened to while ill

Started by M-CORP, June 18, 2022, 10:34:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

M-CORP

Currently having a lie down with some music on... after a few days of sore throats and what seemed to be hay fever turned into pins and needles and fevers last night, then two positive COVID tests this morning.
Just started with The Orb's Adventures Beyond The Ultraworld, which opens with Ricki Lee Jones describing the sunsets of Arizona while sounding stoned, but in reality suffering a head cold.
I've also been thinking lately of that Scott Walker documentary where Jarvis Cocker describes first hearing the man's music while ill in bed - somehow that makes complete sense when you hear it...
Then of course Brian Eno got the idea for Discreet Music while bedridden and unable to change the record on a broken speaker IIRC?

People talk about music being improved or given meaning by the consumption of narcotics - has your experience of a certain piece of music been equally improved by your feeling a bit shit?

buttgammon

I'm laid up with covid right now and haven't found anything I've tried to listen to has engaged me as much as I'd like. I'm listening to Moritz von Oswald's collaboration with the Kyrgyzstani musicians Ordo Sakhna at the moment and it's gelling better than anything I've played so far, but that's possibly just because I'm feeling a bit better so I'm able to pay more attention.

Pauline Walnuts

Glebe

SpiderChrist

badaids

Twin Infinitives by Royal Trux, maximum volume.

Penderecki's Threnody for the Victims of Hiroshima maximum volume.

At the same time.

M-CORP

Quote from: Pauline Walnuts on June 18, 2022, 11:57:01 AMSome sick beats?

I swear this woman keeps following me around. Every time I go for a walk I see drain covers with the initials 'T.S.'. large industry wheelie bins with 'TAYLOR' written on them... that's probably the delirium phase of the illness.

Quote from: badaids on June 18, 2022, 05:52:40 PMTwin Infinitives by Royal Trux, maximum volume.

Penderecki's Threnody for the Victims of Hiroshima maximum volume.

At the same time.

That's a bit melodramatic for what's currently just a head cold. But I'll keep it in mind

Quote from: SpiderChrist on June 18, 2022, 05:49:04 PMAnything on Hospital Records

Better than Factory for this context, I suppose.

Quote from: Glebe on June 18, 2022, 02:50:45 PMGet well soon mate.

Cheers Glebe :)

purlieu

A Winged Victory for the Sullen's self-titled is a wonderful record for drifting off in bed to. Beautiful and comforting like a big pillow of sound.

Dirty Boy

Queasy lurching sick fuck music that sounds better with a blocked ear and an apocalyptically snotty conk:

dontpaintyourteeth

Totally seconding The Pod, it just makes sense

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: SpiderChrist on June 18, 2022, 05:49:04 PMAnything on Hospital Records

Lol.

In seriousness I'd go with something from muscle shoals, it always makes me feel better and isn't throbbing or anything. Bobbie Gentry's Fancy lp or something might just be the ticket.

OR any of her non-muscle shoals records tbh.

DrGreggles

My Covid recovery soundtrack (we've all got one) was loads of deep house stuff, like Cafe Del Mar mixes.
Always used to listen to it during the day after clubbing back in the days before I was old and shit, so I already associate it with feeling rough.

M-CORP

Something I'd forgotten... Robert Fripp's solo ambient stuff often excelled at this sort of thing - his FFWD collaboration with The Orb is also essential listening for me whenever I'm bed-ridden:

The Mollusk

I also came here to suggest The Pod. It's total head cold fever dream music.

Maybe also Black One by Sunn O)))? This could flush the sinuses of a fucking blue whale:

buttgammon

Feeling a bit better now with thanks to the amazing Nala Sinephro

One of my favourite albums of the last few years - highly recommended for people who like the Floating Points/Pharoah Sanders album.

fucking ponderous

I first really got into Slanted and Enchanted and VU&N when I was 17 and home from school with a bad head cold- definitely added to the hazy appeal of both albums.

Ray Travez