Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 02:38:37 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Remixes that better the original.

Started by Glebe, June 19, 2022, 03:06:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Glebe

Remixes you reckon improve upon the original song... Air's remix of Beck's 'Missing' is fantastic, the vocal melody fits so perfectly with the added snyth that it makes the original sound oddly hollow:

Fatboy Slim's remix of the Beastie Boys' 'Body Movin'' is catchy as fuck and they ended up using using it for the official music video instead of the original album version:

Can't think of owt else right now thb, but I'd be interested to hear your examples!

DJ Bob Hoskins

That one is a good shout. Although speaking of Fatboy Slim, I seem to be in the minority in preferring the original Cornershop version of Brimful of Asha.

I'd nominate the EBN remix of U2's Numb. It bangs (literally):

https://www.u2.com/media/player/225/1

dontpaintyourteeth

It's very much of its time, but the Plump DJs remix of Orbital's Funny Break

Glyn

The Avalanches' version of So Why So Sad is acknowledged by the Manics as being better than the original. It actually sounds like a summer song rather than the messy Spector-esque stylophone original.

You Don't See The Signs by Grant off of Feeder is another that comes to mind.

Brundle-Fly

Talking of Air, this David Whitaker remix of Remember could be a missing track from ELO's Out Of The Blue.

Chicory

SpiderChrist

Sabres remix of Red Snapper's Hot Flush

studpuppet

Quote from: Glyn on June 19, 2022, 05:56:29 PMThe Avalanches' version of...

Their version of I'm A Cuckoo is great, especially the ending.

Chicory

'Even Better Than The Original Version'.

DJ Bob Hoskins

Famous Mortimer

The original is pretty good, but the "Catholic version" of Ladytron's "Destroy Everything You Touch" is fantastic.

Ray Travez

samadriel

Pendulum remix of Voodoo People. Gold.

sutin

The Mollusk

The original is so limp and boring but the Rustie remix pops hard.

I know Nathan Fake's version is highly revered but the peaks and troughs of this 10 minute long James Holden remix are frankly fucking stunning. One of my favourite remixes ever.

chutnut

Much prefer this to the original even though I love Throbbing Gristle

I've probably got hundreds of others but most of them are just house/techno remixes of other house/techno tunes so not that interesting really

gilbertharding

I quite liked I'm Losing More Than I Ever Had, but there's no question Loaded is much better.

greencalx

I like the original, but I like this version even better.

purlieu

'90s ambient groups remixing wholly unambient songs and turning them into wonderful new tracks:
Curve's 'Unreadable Communication' rendered unrecognisable by FSOL:
David Sylvian & Robert Fripp's 'Darshan' rendered unrecognisable by FSOL:
The Grid's 'Rollercoaster' rendered unrecognisable by Global Communication:
Mike Oldfield's 'Sentinel' rendered unrecognisable by The Orb:

Oh, and on the subject of FSOL, this bonkers thing:

itsfredtitmus

its not even a debate that the mk dub remix of push the feeling on is 100 times the song the original is which is rather drab and boring

Goldentony

like the original a lot but the remix of LES Artistes by Santogold on that stupid Diplo mixtape is great and the standard version for me, love it -

and the mostly JJ Fad free remix of Hoe Cakes by DOOM via Jake One -

lazyhour

Beck's remix of Paul McCartney's "Find My Way" is much better than the original.

DrGreggles

On the subject of Beck, Jackass was good

But Burro is gooder

Pauline Walnuts

Quote from: chutnut on June 20, 2022, 03:33:16 PMMuch prefer this to the original even though I love Throbbing Gristle

I've probably got hundreds of others but most of them are just house/techno remixes of other house/techno tunes so not that interesting really

I liked the remix of United, but I dunno if I'd call it better than the original.

I was just thinking the other day of all those millions of double CD singles with 4 remixes of every Indie pop song released in the 90s, and every single one* was a total waste of time, money and landfill space.

* Go on, prove me wrong!

Norton Canes

Every basic extended 12" mix from the eighties, because more of the song is better

(N.B. This assumes you like the song in the first place)