Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 07:01:45 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Remixes that better the original.

Started by Glebe, June 19, 2022, 03:06:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

monkfromhavana

PFM's remix of "Love For Life" by Lisa Moorish

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Goldentony on June 20, 2022, 07:39:46 PMlike the original a lot but the remix of LES Artistes by Santogold on that stupid Diplo mixtape is great and the standard version for me, love it -

I like the Amanda Blank re-edit on the mix as well.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: purlieu on June 20, 2022, 07:31:25 PM'90s ambient groups remixing wholly unambient songs and turning them into wonderful new tracks:

I guess not entirely ambient, but still.

Sebastian Cobb

Great Hybrid mix someone on another forum did in about 2005, had it floating around on various computers since, but it looks like the original links are still active.
Quote1. Hybrid - Opening Credits
2. Hybrid - Finished Symphony
3. Hybrid - Higher than a skyscraper
4. Energy 52 - Cafe Del Mar (Hybrid Time Travelller Mix)
5. Moby - Bodyrock (Hybrid Bodyshock Mix)
6. Hybrid - We are in control
7. Filter - Take A Picture (Hybrid Remix)
8. Radiohead - Everything In Its Right Place (Hybrid remix)
9. Gouryella - Walhalla (Hybrid Echoplex Mix)
10. Andreas Johnson - Glorious (Hybrid ReMix)
11. Hybrid - Dreaming Your Dreams
12. Golden Girls - Kinetic (Hybrid's Audiopyrotechnix Mix)
13. Hybrid - High Life
14. Hybrid - BT - Never Gonna Come Back Down
15. Jeff Wayne - Eve Of The War (Hybrid's Fire In The Sky Mix)
16. Hybrid - Theme From Wide Angle (Rolling Thunder Mix)
17. Hybrid - Out of the dark
18. Alanis Morissette - So Pure (Hybrid Mix)
19. Conjure One - Tears from the Moon (Hybrid's Twisted on the Terrace Mix)
20. Future Sound Of London - Papua New Guinea (Hybrid ReMix)
21. BT - Godspeed (Hybrid ReMix)
22. Hybrid - Blackout

Mix:
http://www.1217design.com/Helix-Widest_Angle.mp3

Ant Farm Keyboard

The very long Patrick Crowley remix of "I Feel Love", which is even more radical than the common version.

There's surely no argument that this remix of Keane beats the original.

itsfredtitmus

OOOOOOOOOH the Vitalic remix of 1982 is perfection, the original was begging to be remixed

itsfredtitmus

now listen to the original
cowardly and weak - needs a kick up the arse

thank god for remixes

bgmnts

I havent heard a bad version of it yet but the Flying Lizard cover of Money is the best:

Fuck this is remixes not covers, okay this Depeche Mode remix of Route 66:

Dr Funke

One of my favourites and I'm pretty sure I heard it first via a link on here.

DrGreggles

itsfredtitmus

Quote from: DrGreggles on June 22, 2022, 10:18:19 PMHad to be done
YES YES YES YES YES
ive actually never heard the original so i cant say if its better but crass were never this funky!

Pauline Walnuts

All the Frankie mixes are great, I think the Annihilation mix of Two tribes is the best, although the original 12" mix of Relax is of course good, I prefer the second:

Pauline Walnuts

Quote from: bgmnts on June 22, 2022, 07:37:43 PMI havent heard a bad version of it yet but the Flying Lizard cover of Money is the best:

Their cover of Leonard Cohen's Suzanne was wonderful:

Not really a remix though.

phes

Silver Screen Shower Scene was a belter to start with but Stuart Price was on fire with the remix

FalknerHinton

Rich Uncle Skeleton

Ant Farm Keyboard

Quote from: FalknerHinton on June 23, 2022, 06:17:03 PM90s Big Beat x James Bond

It's commonly called a remix, even on Wikipedia, but it's not. David Arnold wrote a new arrangement of the original track from OHMSS, plus a snippet originally on the soundtrack to From Russia with Love (the intro) and the space theme from You Only Live Twice.

Here's the Arnold track. You can notice for instance there's no Moog, which is prominent on the Barry original.

https://soundcloud.com/gsusoid/on-her-majestys-secret-service

Quote from: Ant Farm Keyboard on June 21, 2022, 09:54:04 PMThe very long Patrick Crowley remix of "I Feel Love", which is even more radical than the common version.

I read a really good blog years ago that focused on PC and apparently this mix was done by him just for personal use by recording the original 12" vinyl record onto tape and re-editing it, adding bits here and there. I can't remember the channels, but apparently some time after he did it, it found it's way to somebody at Casablanca's ears who contacted him and arranged to release it.

This is another tape edit remix, Omar Santana in 1987 - it must have taken forever to do.

Quote from: phes on June 23, 2022, 01:09:12 AMSilver Screen Shower Scene was a belter to start with but Stuart Price was on fire with the remix

I absolutely love Stuart Price from this period - but this is the one I'd disagree with (like you said the OG is a belter)

His Gwen Stefani mix was incredible

and The Killers

This one is him remixing his own track under a different name, but OMG

purlieu

Quote from: gilbertharding on June 20, 2022, 03:38:03 PMI quite liked I'm Losing More Than I Ever Had, but there's no question Loaded is much better.

That's very true, in a way it's a bit of a shame because ILMTIEH is great and totally overlooked.

Apparently there's a remix that Weatherall did that was much closer to the original, when he presented it to the band they told him to go back in the studio and "really fuck it up", I'd be interested hear that.

A version that's half way between the two would be good (the Terry Farley mix kinda does that).

phes

Mr Farenheit

Terry Riley's 1968(!) version of the Harvey Averne song You're No Good

mrfridge

The David Holmes remix of the Manic's You Stole The Sun is better than the original and is probably my favourite MSP track.

This is another good David Holmes one too

mrfridge

Quote from: Goldentony on June 20, 2022, 07:39:46 PMlike the original a lot but the remix of LES Artistes by Santogold on that stupid Diplo mixtape is great and the standard version for me, love it -

Yes! XXXChange also did this great remix of Gang Gang Dance around the same time.

dontpaintyourteeth

Sort of missing the era of big acts releasing entire albums of (mostly disappointing, but usually one or two great) remixes. Air, Daft Punk, etc. I suppose Radiohead and Bjork still do this but even the last of those are probably ten years ago at this point.

Coldplay - Fix You (Four Tet remix)

Hard-Fi - Hard To Beat (Axwell remix)