Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 10:11:57 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Promotional songs for towns

Started by George White, June 20, 2022, 09:06:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

George White

By accident, just discovered this.
A love song by Linda Jardim, one of the backing singers of VIdeo Killed the Radio Star, designed to promote Northampton, c.1980 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c7ZQwuPPWpM  The B-side of 'Energy in Northampton' - a single released by Northampton Development Corporation in 1980.

Here's the almost identical A side. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4xKjGqefH7U Which is about aliens fleeing a galactic war who come to Northampton.

Jockice

When I first moved to Sheffield in the summer of 1976 there was an item on the local Look North about a song called Take Me Back To Bridlington. I can still remember the tune if not the exact words. It was something along the lines of: "Take me back to Bridlington, where the food is cheap. Fish and chips and sausages, good enough to eat."  But there's no trace of it on the internet. I've only been to Bridlington once. I'm unlikely to go back.

Apart from that I only know of this one. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lfx6yseakFc

jobotic

There's all those Telly Savalas promotes Portsmouth, Birmingham, Aberdeen etc films but i don't know if he sings.

There's definitely a seventies song about the joys of the Medway Towns but I'm still looking

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Milton Keynes shopping centre (which is basically all of Milton Keynes) got one:

boki

Derek Sandy - Welcome to the Isle of Wight:

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Head Gardener

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on June 20, 2022, 11:28:25 AMMilton Keynes shopping centre (which is basically all of Milton Keynes) got one:

incidently Trunk Records are going to be releasing it as a 7" later this year

purlieu

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on June 20, 2022, 11:28:25 AMMilton Keynes shopping centre (which is basically all of Milton Keynes) got one:

Christ, I recently saw the advert that used this on Instagram, but I hadn't even dreamed that there was a full length song. This has made my day, thank you.

Head Gardener

the flexi-disc for the CMK song used to be quite common, being handed out in the shopping centre and turning up at car boots for 50p but now is really quite rare.

bomb_dog

Coventry Market - the musical, as later featured on Harry Hill's Alien Fun Capsule. There's a whole threads worth of sarcasm, wit and admiration in that video alone.

B3ta's B-b-b-b-b-b-b-Birmingham!

PammySpacek

Martin Harvey - It's A Leicester Fiesta

studpuppet

QuoteIn the 1980's, Flora, Illinois was competing with at least 33 other communities to become the site of a new prison. Unemployment was high. In a bid to promote the town as a prison site, Flora's former police chief recorded a song titled "All We Want's A Prison," but the town failed to win its bid. Undaunted, a group formed the all-male Barbed Wire Choir. Their rap song, "Is We Is," appealed for a prison in Flora, but attracted little attention until they turned it into a choreographed music video. "Is We Is" featured Flora's mayor Charlie Overstreet, its police chief Willie Thompson, unopposed mayoral candidate Bill Ridgeway, and the then-editor of the Clay County Daily Advocate-Press.

"Is We Is" not only caught on, it aired on Good Morning America but ABC TV's  Spencer Christian (Weather Man) even ad-libbed a stanza on air. Rhino Records joined the promotion when it released a 12" novelty LP of "Is We Is."  The story went national. Then international. There were "Is We Is" t-shirts and cookbooks. Flora never got a prison, however.

JesusAndYourBush

Quote from: George White on June 20, 2022, 09:06:44 AMBy accident, just discovered this.
A love song by Linda Jardim, one of the backing singers of VIdeo Killed the Radio Star, designed to promote Northampton, c.1980 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c7ZQwuPPWpM  The B-side of 'Energy in Northampton' - a single released by Northampton Development Corporation in 1980.

Here's the almost identical A side. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4xKjGqefH7U Which is about aliens fleeing a galactic war who come to Northampton.

In 1982 Martin Kelner (Radio Aire) got hold of one of those records and it was added to his roster of naff records and played a number of times, and in Feb'83 he organised a day trip to Northampton.  Here's a recording of Kelner and Andy Kershaw phoning the station after having visited a number of pubs and breweries.

purlieu

Quote from: PammySpacek on June 21, 2022, 01:29:45 AMMartin Harvey - It's A Leicester Fiesta

By the guy who released the pro-Tory double A-side 'Maggie Will Always Be Around' / 'Vote Conservative'.
Produced by... Greg Knight, of this banger fame.

PaulTMA

Was given this record at some event when I was about 3.  Supposedly a collaboration between B.A. Robertson and D.J. 'Tiger Tim' Stevens.  Braw.

grainger

Quote from: jobotic on June 20, 2022, 11:22:36 AMThere's all those Telly Savalas promotes Portsmouth, Birmingham, Aberdeen etc films but i don't know if he sings.

He doesn't sing in any of these films as posted online. However, they are only highlights from the much longer full versions.

Rich Uncle Skeleton

Quote from: purlieu on June 21, 2022, 09:04:37 PMBy the guy who released the pro-Tory double A-side 'Maggie Will Always Be Around' / 'Vote Conservative'.
[video]
Produced by... Greg Knight, of this banger fame.
[video]

this whole thread is wild but "Vote Conservative!" being sung to a disco beat with strings and horns is something else, bloody hell. how much did recording that cost? how much was a string and horn section back then? I mean he's a tory so obviously has money coming out his arse to fritter away on things like this or was it a library tune he wrote some lyrics for i wonder. "vote conservative and choose your own destiny" yeah great, got any more jokes Greg?

what a great compilation these would make. just nobody tell the record store day lot.

Rich Uncle Skeleton

Quote from: Head Gardener on June 20, 2022, 01:01:38 PMincidently Trunk Records are going to be releasing it as a 7" later this year

are you being serious? because I know someone who would absolutely love despise getting that for their birthday....

Head Gardener

Quote from: Rich Uncle Skeleton on June 22, 2022, 08:35:18 PMare you being serious? because I know someone who would absolutely love despise getting that for their birthday....

nope it's for real, I had my flexi cleaned up for top audio and Jonny has mailed me recently to say it's a coming

Head Gardener

This was released in 1983 singing the virtues of Dundee in the coming age of technological enterprise.

listen/download: https://www.mediafire.com/file/je9hjgxcqwvmjgk/Hi_Tech_City.mp3/file

Head Gardener

Rich Uncle Skeleton

Quote from: Head Gardener on June 23, 2022, 09:59:19 AMnope it's for real, I had my flexi cleaned up for top audio and Jonny has mailed me recently to say it's a coming

Haha amazing, will keep an eye out. Just seen they did a reissue of Basil Kirchin's Abstractions Of The Industrial North so I like these people a lot already.

Obvs not a real promotional song but I've always liked Bob's attacks on Sunderland

Head Gardener

I went to school with Eddie and he is a lovely chap some of his singles were produced by Wild Willy Barrett.

Ron Superior

Not exactly the same, but definitely fits in with the vibe of this thread, this is the song that was released in the late 60s to remind the people of Sweden to drive on the right side of the road after changing the driving direction. It fucking slaps: