Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:41:02 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Roe v. Wade is overturned

Started by Dark Sexy Dangerous, June 24, 2022, 03:32:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dark Sexy Dangerous

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-61928898

QuoteRoe v Wade: US Supreme Court strikes down abortion rights

Millions of women in the US will lose the legal right to abortion, after the Supreme Court overturned a 50-year-old ruling that legalised it nationwide.

The court struck down the landmark Roe v Wade decision, weeks after an unprecedented leaked document suggested it favoured doing so.

The judgement will transform abortion rights in America, with individual states now able to ban the procedure.

Half of US states are expected to introduce new restrictions or bans.

Thirteen have already passed so-called trigger laws that will automatically outlaw abortion following the Supreme Court's ruling. A number of others are likely to pass new restrictions quickly.

In total, abortion access is expected to be cut off for about 36 million women of reproductive age, according to research from Planned Parenthood, a healthcare organisation that provides abortions.

The Supreme Court had been considering a case, Dobbs v Jackson Women's Health Organization, that challenged Mississippi's ban on abortion after 15 weeks.

But the court ruled in favour of the state by a majority vote of six to three, effectively ending the constitutional right to an abortion.

Democratic governors of several states including California, New Mexico and Michigan have already announced plans to enshrine abortion rights within their constitutions if Roe v Wade is overturned.

The landmark 1973 Roe v Wade case saw the Supreme Court rule by a vote of seven to two that a woman's right to terminate her pregnancy was protected by the US constitution.

The ruling gave American women an absolute right to an abortion in the first three months (trimester) of pregnancy, but allowed for restrictions in the second trimester and for prohibitions in the third.

But in the decades since, anti-abortion rulings have gradually pared back access in more than a dozen states.

Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse

Shoot off men's balls, that'll put an end to the need for most abortions

JamesTC

The more children born, the less likely your child dies in a school shooting. This is just basic maths. Or "math" as they call it in that America.

ProvanFan

Indomitable Spirit

Lemming

Why's all this soul-rending dystopian shit coming out of the Supreme Court now? Is this the one week per year where they actually go to "work" (if you accept "work" as a euphemism for "fucking up people's lives beyond repair")?

Mister Six

Fucking hell, what an absolute shower of cunts.

Quote from: Lemming on June 24, 2022, 03:51:42 PMWhy's all this soul-rending dystopian shit coming out of the Supreme Court now? Is this the one week per year where they actually go to "work" (if you accept "work" as a euphemism for "fucking up people's lives beyond repair")?

Getting everything finished up before they go on a hard-earned holiday. Good work, team!

Kankurette

I will never get my head around how the US 'justice' system is so politicised.

It's a fucking rotten time to be a woman in America. Yes, I know not all women can get pregnant and trans men and NB people can get pregnant too, but let's face it, misogyny is heavily involved here. Gotta punish those whores for opening their legs, right?

poo

kittens

Quote from: poo on June 24, 2022, 03:59:19 PMbackward fucks

if they did that they wouldn't need abortions!!!!

Blumf

We want the government out of our businesses and into women's uteri!

Butchers Blind

The fuck is going wrong over there?
Protect guns but not women.

bgmnts

List of free in land of the free:

Old white blokes.

This is the end of the list.

Lemming

Something that winds me up about the reaction to this is the "what rights will they take away next?" perspective, which I've already heard twice on the radio in the last hour. Not because that's not a very real concern - it obviously is - but because people almost act like the removal of key women's rights isn't an apocalyptically shit scenario on its own.

thenoise

Quote from: bgmnts on June 24, 2022, 04:18:37 PMList of free in land of the free:

Old rich white blokes.

Ftfy.

bgmnts

Quote from: Lemming on June 24, 2022, 04:20:25 PMSomething that winds me up about the reaction to this is the "what rights will they take away next?" perspective, which I've already heard twice on the radio in the last hour. Not because that's not a very real concern - it obviously is - but because people almost act like the removal of key women's rights isn't an apocalyptically shit scenario on its own.

Well lets face it if most people tended to give a shit about things that didn't directly affect them, the world wouldn't be the absolute state it is. That reaction doesn't surprise me at all.

Stigdu

What about women who have been raped and want to terminate, or discovering early in the pregnancy that your child will be born with severe, possibly life-threatening health issues? This is terrible news.  :(

Ferris

Quote from: Lemming on June 24, 2022, 03:51:42 PMWhy's all this soul-rending dystopian shit coming out of the Supreme Court now? Is this the one week per year where they actually go to "work" (if you accept "work" as a euphemism for "fucking up people's lives beyond repair")?

It's because the complex and controversial cases require the most legal deliberation, so they are released at the end of the term (with everyone voting exactly as you would expect and how they were going to anyway, and because they've risen from the bench there is no time to question anything because now they've gone on holiday - tough shit, plebs!!).

The first half of that sentence is usually uttered with a straight face, the second half only after everyone has left the room.

Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse

Quote from: Stigdu on June 24, 2022, 04:26:48 PMWhat about women who have been raped and want to terminate, or discovering early in the pregnancy that your child will be born with severe, possibly life-threatening health issues? This is terrible news.  :(
Every Sperm Is Sacred

Ferris

Quote from: Lemming on June 24, 2022, 04:20:25 PMSomething that winds me up about the reaction to this is the "what rights will they take away next?" perspective, which I've already heard twice on the radio in the last hour. Not because that's not a very real concern - it obviously is - but because people almost act like the removal of key women's rights isn't an apocalyptically shit scenario on its own.

"Yeah but what if this incredibly powerful and dystopian radical right wing court makes a decision that affects me!!"

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse on June 24, 2022, 04:32:09 PMEvery Sperm Is Sacred

but we have no interest in supporting the baby or the mother once it's plopped out

Ferris

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on June 24, 2022, 04:44:41 PMbut we have no interest in supporting the baby or the mother once it's plopped out

"To be honest, we've made it downright dangerous out there! Get a gun - that's my advice. Mind how you go!"

Video Game Fan 2000

buttgammon

It's hardly an original thought but the perversity of self-proclaimed pro-life people taking away rights like this while simultaneously supporting widespread gun ownership is striking.

Stigdu

Quote from: Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse on June 24, 2022, 04:32:09 PMEvery Sperm Is Sacred

Well, you can bet that if men had wombs and foetuses could be left to gestate in a box, these men would be crying for all this to be repealed.

Blumf

If only women had rifled vaginas and aborted their babies at 4000fps into a bad guy with a pregnancy.

(seriously, this is all messed up, but everybody who isn't a religious nut job knows that)

Zero Gravitas

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on June 24, 2022, 04:44:41 PMbut we have no interest in supporting the baby or the mother once it's plopped out

I've always assumed that was the point, to have the existence of the children be an avenue of exploitation of their parents, supporting them totally ruins that.

Any moral or religious argument I find hard to accept being present at a national legal level, that one however would be convincing.

Zetetic

Access to safe legal abortion remains a huge problem closer to home as well. The Abortion Support Network helps people who need to access safe abortions in Ireland, Northern Ireland, the Isle of Man, Malta, Gibraltar, Poland, Romania, Hungary, France, Spain, the Czech Republic and the other EU countries on a case-by-case basis (including people impacted by the war in Ukraine).

Martin Van Buren Stan

All the people who say it's all the same, Red or Blue, Trump or Clinton how's that working out?