Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 05:07:33 PM

Login with username, password and session length

What is the optimum sized venue for live music?

Started by cosmic-hearse, June 24, 2022, 10:03:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cosmic-hearse

Obviously the type of music changes the dynamics a bit, but I'm curious what people think. For me, it's somewhere like The Lexington in Kings Cross at the smaller end of the scale, with somewhere like the Electric Ballroom in Camden at the other.

I have been to gigs at enormous venues like the Brixton Academy, but they're nearly always dreadful in every respect (save for an extremely drunken Pogues gig some 20 years ago), yet I know people who love the place. I like small gigs, basically. And you?

kalowski

Beagle 2

Dream scenario is either a pub back room, maybe a couple of hundred people max, or massive arenas/festivals. In both cases I can see, have a piss AT WILL, get a pint and have a bit of space.

Medium sized venues can fuck off. Too squashy, shit view, lose everyone, get jumped on.

imitationleather

You can have all these sizes and more in the VR Metaverse, baby!!

SweetPomPom

There isn't one, a decent night out depends on so much other stuff. Even ridiculously big venues can work if you know what you're doing and you're in a decent spot.

Never had a good gig spoilt just cos it was in a big room though. Most of the time it's cunts in the crowd that spoil gigs.

The Mollusk

Quote from: cosmic-hearse on June 24, 2022, 10:03:28 PMObviously the type of music changes the dynamics a bit, but I'm curious what people think. For me, it's somewhere like The Lexington in Kings Cross at the smaller end of the scale, with somewhere like the Electric Ballroom in Camden at the other.

I have been to gigs at enormous venues like the Brixton Academy, but they're nearly always dreadful in every respect (save for an extremely drunken Pogues gig some 20 years ago), yet I know people who love the place. I like small gigs, basically. And you?

Deffo agree with the first paragraph for the most part, but I've had cracking nights at Brixton Academy. My two most recent (one of them being over 2 years ago because lol pandemic) were Carly Rae Jepsen and Caribou, both of whom wouldn't have suited being in a smaller venue as much. But then I have also seen Death Grips and Parquet Courts there and both gigs really left me disappointed, mostly down to their music being much more suited to somewhere smaller with a lower ceiling.

bgmnts

Hmm i'd guess about 18x10x25 feet, enough space to fit everything in and record.

Pauline Walnuts

And
Quote from: Nice Relaxing Poo on June 24, 2022, 11:01:48 PMAbout 500 people tops.

300 tops for me Clive. And an early finish no 2 hour gap between the support and main act so people can catch the last bus/train home.

cosmic-hearse

Just remembered I went to a great gig at the Barbican a few years ago, which is quite big, but that's an altogether different vibe (seated, stunning architecture & design everywhere, no £7 plastic cups of Carling etc.)

holyzombiejesus

Daft question really. I saw Tindersticks in the Royal Festival Hall a couple of months ago and it was one of my favourite gigs. Another favourite was when I saw Chain & the Gang in some tiny sweaty little upstairs room and there was no stage. Swap the venues and both gigs would have been much the poorer.

Sebastian Cobb

About the size of The Wulfrun or The Lemon Tree or St Lukes or anywhere small enough to still think it's a good idea to sell Red Stripe.

kalowski

Quote from: holyzombiejesus on June 25, 2022, 06:46:26 PMDaft question really.
It's not, really. It's this:

Ooh, Nick Cave is playing the Apollo? Brilliant. I'll get tickets.

Oh, no, Nick Cave is playing Manchester Arena. Fuck that then.

cosmic-hearse

Tindersticks in a sweaty upstairs room sounds amazing*

*I haven't heard a Tindersticks song since the late 90s so this may or may not be true

holyzombiejesus

Quote from: kalowski on June 25, 2022, 07:05:00 PMIt's not, really. It's this:

Ooh, Nick Cave is playing the Apollo? Brilliant. I'll get tickets.

Oh, no, Nick Cave is playing Manchester Arena. Fuck that then.

But it's not about the optimum sized venue to see Nick Cave, it's about 'live music' in general, and the optimum size for a venue is very much dependent on who is playing. The Pastels at the Apollo, fuck that. Chain & the Gang at the big room at Manchester University, nah. Olivia Rodrigo (only mentioning her 'cause I've just seen her on telly) on a big stage in a huge field, yeah ok.

Sebastian Cobb

Big cold arenas are always a bit crap though. I'm not saying you can't enjoy people there, but you telling me you'd rather watch something on a telly because the artists look like the borrowers from a quarter mile away? You're locked in, in seats, can't shuffle off for a piss or to get a beer in ones of the songs you're indifferent about? Come on now.

SweetPomPom

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on June 25, 2022, 07:31:35 PMBig cold arenas are always a bit crap though. I'm not saying you can't enjoy people there, but you telling me you'd rather watch something on a telly because the artists look like the borrowers from a quarter mile away? You're locked in, in seats, can't shuffle off for a piss or to get a beer in ones of the songs you're indifferent about? Come on now.

I wouldn't touch seats beyond the front 10-15 rows anywhere, especially the 10k+ seaters. But I've seen amazing gigs at both Wembley & The O2. Makes no difference how big the room is if most of it is behind you.

kalowski

Quote from: holyzombiejesus on June 25, 2022, 07:18:53 PMBut it's not about the optimum sized venue to see Nick Cave, it's about 'live music' in general, and the optimum size for a venue is very much dependent on who is playing. The Pastels at the Apollo, fuck that. Chain & the Gang at the big room at Manchester University, nah. Olivia Rodrigo (only mentioning her 'cause I've just seen her on telly) on a big stage in a huge field, yeah ok.
What I think I mean is that I'd see Springsteen in the enormodome but no one else. So for me it isn't dependent on who it is, unless it's The Boss.

Tokyo van Ramming

Saw a clip of Green Day at London Stadium earlier, filmed from way up at the back and it was quite depressing. Don't do that.

dontpaintyourteeth

I saw Billy Idol do a show quite literally at the end of a pier in America once. Not out of choice admittedly, but I did. So all I can say is definitely not that. Not at the end of a pier.

SweetPomPom

Quote from: dontpaintyourteeth on June 26, 2022, 09:40:31 AMI saw Billy Idol do a show quite literally at the end of a pier in America once. Not out of choice admittedly, but I did. So all I can say is definitely not that. Not at the end of a pier.

I saw Electric 6 play a gig in the street outside Nathan's at Coney Island once, was brill!

Sebastian Cobb

I have a similar approach to comedy now, or at least I do in the Edinburgh fringe, there are some exceptions but I'm coming round to the idea of staying away from big room pleasance type stuff in favour of acts that play places like monkey barrel.

Brundle-Fly

The Forum (nee Town & Country Club), Kentish Town. I get a bit itchy if they get bigger than that.