Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,584,343
  • Total Topics: 106,754
  • Online Today: 1,132
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 03:57:55 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Nilüfer Yanya - Painless

Started by holyzombiejesus, June 26, 2022, 09:03:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

holyzombiejesus

First listened to this te Saturday after it came out and put it straight in a pile of stuff to sell on Discogs. Then a week later, I thought I'd give it one last try as I liked her first album so much, and I'm really glad I did as it's my joint favourite album of the year so far (along wth BC,NR). Man, it's so ace, just can't stop playing it. My powers of description aren't up to much but it's kind of sultry moody indie with R&Bish/ soul-y vocals. My wife said one of the songs reminded her of 7 Seconds by Neneh Cherry. The Guardian said "pop music rendered in an intriguingly opaque manner".

I think this song is brilliant and it's not even my favourites on the album.

Kankurette

I saw a bit of her set at Primavera in 2019 and while I didn't think 'OMG MUST BUY HER STUFF NOW', I did like her. I seem to remember something about her writing a song about her bike being nicked. You've made me want to listen to her again and yes, she has a lovely warm voice.

ETA: she's been compared to King Krule for some reason. I don't know why. Yanya's voice doesn't make me want to ram my fingers in my ears for a start.

holyzombiejesus

Don't think she does 'immediate' songs (except certified banger In Your Head) but the new album really rewards a couple of listens. I've got cloth ears and never really notice production but some stuff on this sounds amazing. Producer (and co-writer on most songs) is someone who goes by the name of Wilma Archer and worked with MF Doom.

holyzombiejesus

Quote from: Kankurette on June 26, 2022, 10:46:56 PMI seem to remember something about her writing a song about her bike being nicked.

Ha! That makes me like her even more. Also saw on her instagram that she wrote a thing about Israeli artheid and how she supports Palestinian rights.