Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 16, 2024, 04:38:35 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Supreme Court Wackiness Day 3

Started by bgmnts, June 28, 2022, 02:55:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bgmnts

So, the Us almost a full Theocracy now:

https://www.theguardian.com/law/2022/jun/27/supreme-court-coach-prayers-joseph-kennedy

Man makes spectacle - presumably on behalf of right wing group - then man make supreme court destroy the separation of church and state.

It's so amazing how the people who are considered traditionalists are the ones destroying everything traditional about America.

Generally, it speaks to how much power the right wing has, not only in just literally denying rights to huge groups of people and changing centuries of precedent on a whim for the lols, but also managing to convince enough trogs that they have no power and the blue hairs have all the power.

It's pure dystopian fiction and the merciful thing would be to get it nuked now. Sorry.

How strong is the US passport? Surprised anyone would want to stay there after all this.

JamesTC

I'm sure they would have respected the coach if he had prayed to one of those gods that aren't real.

Video Game Fan 2000

The Americans are so far ahead of us, let's adopt their political ideas and language across the spectrum since they're working so well.

Norton Canes

Those supreme high court sessions must be a right barrel o' laughs. What do they do, file into the room by doors at each end, six from one side and three from the other, and just glower at each other from different ends of the room for five hours?

Poobum

Why not set up a leftist Universalist Church that recognizes gay marriage, access to abortion, and shelter of the needy as fundamental parts of doctrine? Go on, have a go.

katzenjammer

I'm starting to think this Supreme Court thing was a really shit idea

Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse

Quote from: bgmnts on June 28, 2022, 02:55:20 PMSo, the Us almost a full Theocracy now:

https://www.theguardian.com/law/2022/jun/27/supreme-court-coach-prayers-joseph-kennedy

Man makes spectacle - presumably on behalf of right wing group - then man make supreme court destroy the separation of church and state.

It's so amazing how the people who are considered traditionalists are the ones destroying everything traditional about America.

Generally, it speaks to how much power the right wing has, not only in just literally denying rights to huge groups of people and changing centuries of precedent on a whim for the lols, but also managing to convince enough trogs that they have no power and the blue hairs have all the power.

It's pure dystopian fiction and the merciful thing would be to get it nuked now. Sorry.

How strong is the US passport? Surprised anyone would want to stay there after all this.
Yeah they wouldn't have ruled this way if it was a Muslim, would they have.

JamesTC

What kind of wacky thing will they do next? Ban guns or something?

katzenjammer

Des Wigwam

Quote from: Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse on June 29, 2022, 08:55:00 AMYeah they wouldn't have ruled this way if it was a Muslim, would they have.

If I had to bet: No. But more widely does this set a dangerous legal precedent that could be used by the wrong religions? Hope so.

dissolute ocelot

The Satanic Temple have been claiming they have a religious right to perform abortion rituals. Which doesn't seem to be very helpful, but maybe if they got more adherents and a satanist in every high school.

It's insane how these supreme court judges who claim to be so concerned with the 2nd amendment don't give a shit about the 1st (or recently the 5th, with an attack on the right to silence). Almost as if they're picking and choosing.

Ferris

What the hey, I posted it in the other thread but it's a good article so here you go.

To the surprise of no one, they are absolutely disingenuously picking and choosing.

Ferris

Gutted the EPA today as well. All together now:

"In a 6 to 3 majority vote..."

touchingcloth

Had the supreme court been on holiday or sutin before this past week? I feel like I haven't heard anything from them since Don was trying to overturn the election or Brett was boomfing on people's faces or whatever. You wait for hours and hours and hours with nothing, and then seven fundamental human rights are revoked at once.

Ferris

Ooh they're doing "independent state legislature" stuff next term. That's allowing state legislatures to set rules for federal elections and ignore their state courts even if they say they're unconstitutional.

I wonder which they will find... 🤔

Ferris

Quote from: touchingcloth on June 30, 2022, 05:05:45 PMHad the supreme court been on holiday or sutin before this past week? I feel like I haven't heard anything from them since Don was trying to overturn the election or Brett was boomfing on people's faces or whatever. You wait for hours and hours and hours with nothing, and then seven fundamental human rights are revoked at once.

They decide political complex cases at the end of their term because they're so ruddy complex they take all the time to think about (before voting exactly the way they were obviously gonna vote and pissing off on holiday).

You say the first part with a straight face, and the second part after the reporters have left the room and you can have a good old laugh about ruining the country.

touchingcloth

Quote from: Ferris on June 30, 2022, 05:07:51 PMThey decide political complex cases at the end of their term because they're so ruddy complex they take all the time to think about (before voting exactly the way they were obviously gonna vote and pissing off on holiday).

You say the first part with a straight face, and the second part after the reporters have left the room and you can have a good old laugh about ruining the country.

Isn't their term their life? So are they all due to be fed into the mincer like a Banksy? And may I please pay Dice to watch it live if so?

Ferris

Yeah they're there for life, I meant the period for which they sit around and decide cases. They only "work" for a few months a year so they shit out their most egregious opinions right before they go on holiday.

It's like the government churning out a load of bad news on a Friday before anyone can quiz them about it, basically.

touchingcloth

I reckon they shouldn't all have their holidays at the same time, y'know, like how normal businesses operate.

imitationleather

Probably all going south of the border to get an abortion.

somersetchris

Quote from: katzenjammer on June 29, 2022, 07:59:53 AMI'm starting to think this Supreme Court thing was a really shit idea

The same country who spent the last two years bleating about 'Freedom!' when asked to wear a mask to protect the health of others, seems completely comfortable with six unelected lifetimes appointments who always act along party lines taking away the rights of millions of women - and at least one of them has vocally suggested gay marriage and access to contraceptives should be next.

The bit I don't understand is how judges are supposed to interpret law right, but this lot just pick and choose which laws support their party cause and dismantle the ones that don't. Also the Democrats are idiots. They're lifetime appointments but you can retire, as Republican-appointed ones do when there is a Republican president. Why the fuck did Ruth Bader Ginsberg stumble on until she was 87 instead of retiring when Obama was in office? How did the Republicans get to block Obama's appointment in his final year of office, while pushing through Coney Barrett while Trump was on his way out. Mitch McConnell openly laughed at the suggestion they would follow the same principle for a Republican president as they did when blocking Obama. Just openly admitting their hypocrisy and the complete brokenness of the American system.

So yeah, Gilead basically.

bgmnts

Well, in the 18th century when there were just rich white people and slightly lesser rich white people who had any say or investment in politics, the basic system worked well because the problems were easier to solve. But yeah, that was 250 years ago.

touchingcloth

Quote from: bgmnts on July 01, 2022, 07:10:10 PMWell, in the 18th century when there were just rich white people and slightly lesser rich white people who had any say or investment in politics, the basic system worked well because the problems were easier to solve. But yeah, that was 250 years ago.

And they were all enlightenment men, and I think there was a general agreement that anyone involved in politics would adhere to the spirit of the constitution if not the letter. The checks and balances it contains aren't designed to stop people going completely, roguely against the spirit (part of that spirit of course being the tacit understanding that not all humans are created equal).