Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 02:56:21 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Real people with spectacular names

Started by Stoneage Dinosaurs, June 29, 2022, 01:12:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brundle-Fly

I thought actor, Angel Theory from The Walking Dead was a fairly spectacular name. Sounds like a Keanu Reeves sci-fi movie. Then, disappointedly I found out her real name is Anna Simpson, which is probably as prosaic as you can get.

Having said that, all names are made up, aren't they, so it should count.

derek stitt

Meet an American who knew why his name, Cody Fidler, made British people laugh... poor soul.

Fr.Bigley

Quote from: Jerzy Bondov on June 29, 2022, 02:02:37 PMmy friend went to school with a lad called Hugh Cumber and it makes me laugh every time I think of it

The founder of cumbers pies

The Ombudsman

Worked somewhere with a Crispin Lilly.

AsparagusTrevor

dissolute ocelot

Quote from: AsparagusTrevor on July 01, 2022, 11:38:10 AMDid his parents lose a bet or something?
Clearly his parents saw a marketing opportunity.

Bent is a mostly-Scandinavian short form of Benedict, or possibly short for Bernhard or similar.

EDIT: There was a Danish pianist called Bent Fabric, real name Bent Fabricius-Bjerre, and a Danish chief rabbi called Bent Melchior.

AsparagusTrevor

Quote from: dissolute ocelot on July 01, 2022, 12:33:35 PMClearly his parents saw a marketing opportunity.

Bent is a mostly-Scandinavian short form of Benedict, or possibly short for Bernhard or similar.

Ah, cheers for that, it's the first time I'd heard of it as a name.

I suppose having a page with the words "meet", "bent" and "gay" will bring in a decent amount of webtraffic.

Jockice

Quote from: non capisco on June 29, 2022, 11:23:26 PMMy mate says he went to school with a perilously thin looking boy called Ian Kellington. No prizes for guessing etc.

There was a tall lad in my year called Ian  Queenan. He became known as High IQ.

There was also an Elton Hyman and Jeremy Titman in my year.

I've met a Scarlett Gash several times. The same one incidentally. Not a few of them.

non capisco

Quote from: Jockice on July 01, 2022, 03:45:04 PMThere was a tall lad in my year called Ian  Queenan. He became known as High IQ.

Hahaha, excellent!

buttgammon

A delivery driver walked into the office yesterday and said, very seriously, "package for Mr Baby? A Mr Alan Baby?" Amazingly, it turned out we did have something addressed to Alan Baby; I spent the rest of the morning trying not to laugh.

dissolute ocelot

There's an Indian communist politician called M A Baby. Baby also seems to be a common French-Canadian surname. And a forename for Dirty Dancing fans (I won't tell you how someone spelt Baby, read the link).

Mr Vegetables

I once had to send an email to someone called "Joe Human," and it was hard not to be a bit suspicious of him.

Replies From View

When I worked in an Arts Centre 18 years ago, there was a guy on the mailing list called Ivor Pusittinon

buttgammon

Quote from: Mr Vegetables on July 05, 2022, 11:22:46 AMI once had to send an email to someone called "Joe Human," and it was hard not to be a bit suspicious of him.

Can't remember the first name but I definitely had to deal with someone with the surname Human once (this job is great for names because we deal with a large number of people across a variety of industries and countries). I assumed that was a deed poll job but maybe not.

poo

Mr Vegetables

Quote from: buttgammon on July 05, 2022, 01:29:17 PMCan't remember the first name but I definitely had to deal with someone with the surname Human once (this job is great for names because we deal with a large number of people across a variety of industries and countries). I assumed that was a deed poll job but maybe not.

It is apparently a real surname you can get without any deed polls at all, which possibly comes from "man living beside a hill" rather than "man who is a human." But also possibly doesn't. The internet is unsure.

steveh

Quote from: Shaxberd on June 29, 2022, 04:15:45 PMAmerican football has some phenomenal names:

From Key & Peele came across Silverberry Mouhon, who from a search appears to also have a namesake who works in finance.

Replies From View

Quote from: Replies From View on July 05, 2022, 01:19:53 PMWhen I worked in an Arts Centre 18 years ago, there was a guy on the mailing list called Ivor Pusittinon

(I always presumed his surname was pronounced "poo sitting on")

Shaxberd

Quote from: Replies From View on July 05, 2022, 01:56:17 PM(I always presumed his surname was pronounced "poo sitting on")

Could be "I've A Pussy Tin On", referencing his bionic muff.

Poobum

Batman bin Suparman, ironically a villain.

Replies From View

Quote from: Shaxberd on July 05, 2022, 04:22:44 PMCould be "I've A Pussy Tin On", referencing his bionic muff.

If the noun and adjective were swapped around, otherwise it's a tin with a/some pussy inside. 

I have the mind of a poo-obsessed 5 year old anyway, so a man sitting on his own poo was the only mental image I had or needed.

Swift

There's a woman who works in my company named Gay Ray.

shoulders

Great moment at work was receiving a complaint with the surname Cheers.

Cuellar

AsparagusTrevor

Quote from: Swift on July 05, 2022, 08:17:00 PMThere's a woman who works in my company named Gay Ray.

There's someone at my work called Gay Bolton, which I always thought sounded like a mobile phone contract upgrade.

Jockice

Quote from: Swift on July 05, 2022, 08:17:00 PMThere's a woman who works in my company named Gay Ray.

I used to know a Holly Rae. Celebrate.

The Mollusk

I dunno if it's technically spectacular but yesterday I gasped in strange awe when my wife received a message from someone at work called

C H R I S T L O V E