Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,585,331
  • Total Topics: 106,766
  • Online Today: 1,077
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 06:44:18 AM

Login with username, password and session length

THings you find hauntological that no one else does

Started by George White, June 29, 2022, 11:01:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

George White

Belfast's Atlas carpets and a lovely Belfast graphic at the start
Another IRA Graffiti image here.

George White

Quote from: George White on February 13, 2024, 08:07:04 PM
Been watching a ton of US news bulletins on British events.

And the mix of Dad's Army esque cartoon maps and the loveably shit animation to portray the crash on the CBS report is something.

The NBC one feels very Grange Hill 'sausage on a fork'

Also the maps at the start of this ABC report.
Love the Americans saying it's like a Gilbert and Sullivan operetta. You often find contrived refs to Dickens and the like in these reports.

Prince Andrew's journey in the Falklands via Dad's Army-type map for CBS.
More Dad's Army animated maps from ABC.

Some maps here but the highlight is Galtieri vs Thatcher and Reagan as the titles of a daytime soap or a fumetti.

ABC cartoon recreation of Indira Gandhi's death. Also features an RTE connection, as Peter Ustinov is interviewed. Gandhi was assassinated on her way to meet Ustinov, who was due to interview her for Telly Eireann.

The NBC Nightly News from 2nd April 1982 reuses footage from the BBC Nine O'Clock News the day before (the interviews with John Silkin, John Nott and Peter Carrington are all from the BBC). The ABC News report and CBS reports used interviews of Carrington, Nott and Silkin from elsewhere.

This ABC Lockerbie report from Dec 21 1988 has some cartoon maps. The footage used is from ITN, ie the firemen hauling the truck, and the ambulances.

The CBS and NBC Lockerbie reports (1988) also reuse the BBC Scotland footage of Archie Smith's witness report (clearly chosen by Americans because he looks a bit like Sean Connery, and therefore in American eyes = Scottish).

This ABC image looks a bit Sausage on a Fork too. https://youtu.be/WmcMiPZK0CQ?t=112

George White

Cartoon bomb at 1.53 in this BBC doc on the BRIGHTON BOMB.
Warning - includes footage of Thatcher 's Tory disco.
And beautiful photos of Thatcher's destroyed bedroom and en-suite.

Lovely Spiv-ish interview with a Brighton bomb survivor at ABC. A minute in.

magister

The last shot of Van Sant's remake of Psycho. Hitchcock's film ends with a shot of Janet Leigh's car being dragged from the swamp and then cuts to black. Van Sant can't do that because he  has to allow for the end credits.

So, we get a crane shot which starts on the car being dragged out and then rises up, looking into the distance and what it shows is no longer the events staged for the film, but rather what was happening in, for lack of a better term, the real world. There's a road in the distance with cars passing by. I wonder who was in them, whether any of them have ever seen the film and, if they have, I wonder whether they realised they were looking at themselves as they drove by under the credits.

George White

Glebe

My brother had to go and reference Humphrey Cushion the other evening, causing my brain to go haywire! Hickory House started a couple of years before I was born and ended when I was still an infant so either it got a rerun or it was just my brother going on about it as a child, but I do recall it.

Googling ancient kids TV, Heggerty Haggarty came up, which I'd forgotten all about. George Cole taking a break from being car spiv Arthur Daley to narrate stories about a witch, that's your lot.

Apologies if any of this has disturbed anyone. Some things are best left in the past.

Alberon

No memory of Hickory House at all, but at least I now understand where Comfrey in Quentin Smirhes comes from.

JesusAndYourBush

I have very vague memories of Hickory House, with Humphrey Cushion being the only thing I remember about it.  Another show, Hector's House must have been around the same time (possibly earlier?) as that also exists in the periphery of my memory.

Whenever I see that name Smirhes I always imagine it being pronounced like Kryten trying to day smeghead.