Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 09:15:12 AM

Login with username, password and session length

THings you find hauntological that no one else does

Started by George White, June 29, 2022, 11:01:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Video Game Fan 2000

touchingcloth

Quote from: Video Game Fan 2000 on June 30, 2022, 02:27:47 PMhow many times has he died so far

talk about a presence persisting through its absence

Yeah. Like "member garlic bread?" works because no one had had garlic bread for thirty years.

Hauntology is Peter Kay. I get it now. I get it.

There's so much haunt in Amarillo.

Zero Gravitas

Nowhere Man

Quote from: non capisco on June 29, 2022, 11:15:34 PMIce cream vans driving about in the here and now with their disquieting doppler effect chimes and lanky Mickey Mice on the side, hauntological as fuck. 

I'll have to order a large iced Mickey Mice next time

Sebastian Cobb

I always thought there was something a bit haunting about the partially-visible DJ in in The Warriors.

Icehaven

Quote from: Alberon on June 30, 2022, 09:37:40 AMI'm not sure you can get proper hauntalogical beyond the early eighties at the latest. TV is generally too professional to do it anymore so it seems unlikely it will be a thing for future generations and anyone who didn't experience it as a kid (as Chip says) in the 70s won't feel it now. It'll just be odd stuff from a previous generation they don't connect to. Like when people who were kids in the 70s see TV and films from the 50s and earlier. There's no direct connection.

Here's the Picture Box titles which definitely qualifies.

I'd agree but add that a lot of 70s and early 80s stuff was repeated through the 80s, and it was still recent enough to not feel like it came from another time and felt contemporary. I was born in 1979 and remember seeing a lot of stuff now regularly associated with Hauntology (PIFs, certain kid's programs and styles of TV making) throughout my childhood and I don't remember thinking it looked old fashioned. But yeah, anyone born after the mid 80s is probably not going to get it in quite the same way.

Brundle-Fly

Bleached out old fashioned hair style photos in barber shop windows. See also bleached out photos of dead light entertainers in seaside fortune teller's displays.

The covers of old Physics World magazines.

The smell of bubblegum cards/ stickers.

Video tracking.

That purple flare you occasionally see in 1970s BBC studio dramas.

The pops and hissing in the background on old cinema adverts.

The voices of Ray Brooks, Oliver Postgate, Susan Stranks, Willam Franklyn and Nabil Shaban.

The smell of a freshly polished parquet floor.

poodlefaker

Quote from: touchingcloth on June 30, 2022, 02:42:58 PMYeah. Like "member garlic bread?" works because no one had had garlic bread for thirty years.

Hauntology is Peter Kay. I get it now. I get it.
that
There's so much haunt in Amarillo.

member that advert for Bejam's "Frozen garlic toasts" that they used to show int cinema? wi'Dave Prowse and wonky synthesiser music and voiceover that cut out just before end?

That's hauntology

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on June 30, 2022, 04:55:05 PMVideo tracking.

I can't really think of situations when I actually had to manually deal with this though. And I started with an old hand-me-down Ferguson Videostar and went through a couple of mediocre decks up until the late 00's where I got a dvr. All of them seemed fine on auto generally.

touchingcloth

Is Oliver Reed grabbing Kate Millett's tits hauntological?

Sebastian Cobb

Anything on grainy 16mm immediately has a vibe though I guess.

jamiefairlie

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on June 30, 2022, 04:55:05 PMBleached out old fashioned hair style photos in barber shop windows. See also bleached out photos of dead light entertainers in seaside fortune teller's displays.

The covers of old Physics World magazines.

The smell of bubblegum cards/ stickers.

Video tracking.

That purple flare you occasionally see in 1970s BBC studio dramas.

The pops and hissing in the background on old cinema adverts.

The voices of Ray Brooks, Oliver Postgate, Susan Stranks, Willam Franklyn and Nabil Shaban.

The smell of a freshly polished parquet floor.

Yes.

Brundle-Fly

Old emergency vehicle sirens of the 'nee-naw' kind.

The tiny windows with those thin wire grids you get on lift doors.

Novelty laughing bags.

Looking into Kit Williams' eyes.

Moth-ridden yellowing net curtains to a home that you're not sure has inhabitants.

The Dr Who card illustrations that came free in a box of Weetabix.

The asdic radar sound in movies that feature submarines.

Donald Pleasance explaining something.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on June 30, 2022, 06:12:35 PMThe tiny windows with those thin wire grids you get on lift doors.

Them lifts where you have to pull a folding cage across the exit with hinged doors that open outwards into the corridor.

willbo

probably mentioned it on another thread but the late 80's Christmas horror Pinocchio spoof that The Two Ronnies did traumatised me for years. I watched it on a black and white TV while parents were with friends in the next room, didn't understand it was a comedy, thought it was a real old horror film...and it stayed with me for years

As for Hauntology, I'd say the Coventry Motor Museum. It can really feel like walking round some ghostly apparition of old eras of Coventry/The UK. There was this one little cafe 30-10 years ago that is just off to the side of this empty warehouse full of old buses, and it kind of felt like the older people working there never left.  Like they came in to hide from an air raid and just stayed forever to work in a canteen and polish giant old buses, wandering around the aisles of this empty echoing warehouse. Not sure what's there now for a cafe.

Video Game Fan 2000

pre Nintendo videogame consoles and some 8bit computers used to make ungodly noises when you used them, coupled with the flashing television. plugging stuff into a television when we didnt even have a VCR yet felt wrong and bad, and the loud screaming noises confirmed that. the kid that used to come over to ours to play atari with me was genuinely afraid and put his fingers in his ears until the game was on.

now those are all emulated, the distortion of the sound is preserved to make the experience authentic but unpleasant buzzing and hissing noises associated with changing cartridges and plugging stuff in usually aren't. its like emulated versions play in a void. there's something unplaceable about seeing those little atari handhelds play Combat without the clunk clunk and hzzz i associate with turning it on. the context they come from isnt just the past its been totally eradicated by decades of technological seachange and will never come back, yet the nerd nostalgia market expands by the year

dr beat

Growing up in Widnes in the 80s, the logo of Imperial Chemical Industries was literally everywhere, staring at you in the supermarket, at garages and from the front of rugby shirts, like a sinister all-seeing (IC) eye:

Mr Vegetables

Signing up just to post about this because I am the worst kind of person. My understanding of Hauntology was that it's a sudden memory that the past as you actually experienced it— which is different to the past as you remember it, or the past as it's signified within culture.

It's bound up with the idea of retroversion, where new information you encounter overwrites the understanding of things you had before. You can't get your former anticipation for Game of Thrones Season Eight back, because the reality of what it actually was has altered the memory of your experience.

I'd see the idea of it as being like a specific 70s vibe as almost opposed to it? Because I thought Mark Fisher at least had said the idea of how the past feels was different to how it actually was— you didn't know which bits of your life would become signifiers of the past, which would become super important later on and which would fade away completely.

And I'd understood it to include loads of completely non-70s stuff— the world where it's inevitable Hilary Clinton would win in 2016 being a very obvious one, and I guess some guy in Nagasaki in January 1945 wondering how the city will look in the autumn. It's the jolt of remembering that ghost past which can be powerful, I think? And that sense of futures, ideas and feelings we forgot we even felt, or could communicate.

But, like, I don't know or anything. That just seemed to be the power in the idea, from what I could see.

dr beat

Video Game Fan 2000

Quote from: Mr Vegetables on June 30, 2022, 08:15:43 PMthe world where it's inevitable Hilary Clinton would win in 2016 being a very obvious one,

Upload date : October 19th 2016

Comey sends a letter to the FBI saying email investigation is reopened on October 28th. That's only twelve days of future.

touchingcloth

When Pringles used to come in square tubes rather than round ones.

Sebastian Cobb

crackly old interview recordings on cassette

usually in documentaries with a camera trained at a shoebox cassette player showing the spools turning.

Jerrykeshton

Quote from: Icehaven on June 30, 2022, 04:41:01 PMI'd agree but add that a lot of 70s and early 80s stuff was repeated through the 80s, and it was still recent enough to not feel like it came from another time and felt contemporary. I was born in 1979 and remember seeing a lot of stuff now regularly associated with Hauntology (PIFs, certain kid's programs and styles of TV making) throughout my childhood and I don't remember thinking it looked old fashioned. But yeah, anyone born after the mid 80s is probably not going to get it in quite the same way.
I think the demarcation point is where graphics switched to fully computer generated rather than predominantly cardboard with some basic text overlays. It made it look different to everything that came before and much more professional.

Also 16mm film

TrenterPercenter

Quote from: Glebe on June 29, 2022, 11:43:48 PMMy copy of Scarred for Life Volume One arrived this morning, packed to bits with haunty stuff!

Where did you get it from Glebe please?

Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse

This is the only clip I can find of Faherty's Garden and it has stirred up some actual fear:

gib

Quote from: Mr Vegetables on June 30, 2022, 08:15:43 PMSigning up just to post about this because I am the worst kind of person. My understanding of Hauntology was that it's a sudden memory that the past as you actually experienced it— which is different to the past as you remember it, or the past as it's signified within culture.

It's bound up with the idea of retroversion, where new information you encounter overwrites the understanding of things you had before. You can't get your former anticipation for Game of Thrones Season Eight back, because the reality of what it actually was has altered the memory of your experience.

I'd see the idea of it as being like a specific 70s vibe as almost opposed to it? Because I thought Mark Fisher at least had said the idea of how the past feels was different to how it actually was— you didn't know which bits of your life would become signifiers of the past, which would become super important later on and which would fade away completely.

And I'd understood it to include loads of completely non-70s stuff— the world where it's inevitable Hilary Clinton would win in 2016 being a very obvious one, and I guess some guy in Nagasaki in January 1945 wondering how the city will look in the autumn. It's the jolt of remembering that ghost past which can be powerful, I think? And that sense of futures, ideas and feelings we forgot we even felt, or could communicate.

But, like, I don't know or anything. That just seemed to be the power in the idea, from what I could see.

the ice cream van stuff earlier in the thread lines up nicely with this theory

Glebe

Quote from: TrenterPercenter on June 30, 2022, 10:51:03 PMWhere did you get it from Glebe please?

Buy it here!

I forget to check when I ordered my copy, but you might be able to get a discount code from the Scarred for Life Twitter, TP!

Red Macadam

Those red and white tents used by roadworkers and B.T engineers. Surrounded by lengths of cable and curb stones, those sort of elongated cobbles with grooves in them, piled up alongside.

It was always raining from a sky the colour of porridge. You never saw anyone entering or leaving them. They popped up overnight like toadstools masquerading as Punch and Judy booths. And always, it rained and rained and rained. And the red became redder.

What was going on? Something was. A portal to another world. Access for demons and monsters from beneath the tarmac crust. A way of disposing of little children who had accepted some Needler's Sensations from that old giffer in the Mac?

For me, they're all kaleidoscopic images combined with the Park Keeper explaining what that big green pole that would sound in the event of a nuclear attack was, and the shop that sold already outdated fabrics for 30p a metre, cut to order with pinking shears from John Lewis' 'notions' department.