Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 01:16:03 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Max Tundra reissues first 3 albums; remix album; live show

Started by Vitalstatistix, June 30, 2022, 04:10:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vitalstatistix

I figure if there's one corner of the internet guaranteed to have some fans of this mercurial electro-pop-idm wizard it'd be this clever baldies sufferers union.

Come on! Love this guy so much. His twisty, brainy, euphoric and embarrassingly confessional music has been a constant companion for 20 years. Only regret is that he hasn't released more original music since those first three incredible records. As much as I enjoyed the Daphne & Celeste album, I kinda wish he'd just sung the tunes himself and made it a solo Max Tundra record. D&C's headline involvement seemed to relegate the record (unfairly) as a quickly-forgotten novelty.

Rare new news:

Reissues

Remix album

Max Tundra - Lights (A. G. Cook Remix)

Live show (7th Sept, Lexington)

Not too taken with the Cook remix there. Plays up the bouncy, crisp, danceable glee of Max's track which is fair enough, but it just made me want to listen to the original :( Good to see a PC Music bod paying tribute though, considering they nicked his sound and made millions from it!!!

Gutted to not live in the UK for that Lexington show.

Here's one of my faves to leave you with, Cabasa. A great example of Max's genius at creating affecting emotional payoffs with dense track-building, off-kilter rhythm and, of course, an overabundance of melodic lines.  Gets better with each listen.

lazyhour

Brilliant news. He's such a lovely, funny dude as well as being a musical genius. Really deserves getting the reissue treatment.

I interviewed him a year or two ago for the podcast I co-present. Link: https://wemadethisnetwork.com/2020/11/25/36-max-tundra/

On a vinyl nitpick note, I hope they've remastered Parallax Error as I have the original vinyl pressing of that and my copy seems to get quite sharp and distorted from about halfway through each side.

The Mollusk

Ashamed to admit I know next to nothing about this dude and have kept forgetting to check him out for years now. Hopefully this is the time I finally get my shit together. I'm really skint at the moment but that Lexington gig sort of feels like it shouldn't be missed.

Edit: yeah fuck it, ticket bought. It'll force me to check out his stuff and I really have missed that lovely little venue!

madhair60

saw him ages ago supporting someone, I forget who. Maybe Hot Chip? okay that's all, forever, goodbye, etc

Vitalstatistix

Quote from: lazyhour on June 30, 2022, 07:50:50 AMI interviewed him a year or two ago for the podcast I co-present. Link: https://wemadethisnetwork.com/2020/11/25/36-max-tundra/

Thanks a lot! I'll definitely listen to this.

Quote from: The Mollusk on June 30, 2022, 08:00:12 AMAshamed to admit I know next to nothing about this dude and have kept forgetting to check him out for years now. Hopefully this is the time I finally get my shit together. I'm really skint at the moment but that Lexington gig sort of feels like it shouldn't be missed.

Edit: yeah fuck it, ticket bought. It'll force me to check out his stuff and I really have missed that lovely little venue!

I doubt you'll regret it, Nags. I'd definitely recommend acquainting yourself with the 3 main records before the gig, though. He's the type of artist (like, say, Cardiacs*) whose songs sound a bit wrong and 'off' the first time you hear them, but then when it clicks on the third or fourth listen, the music becomes an addictive, cathartic sugar rush.

*speaking of which, his contribution to Leader of the Starry Skies fucking slays.

Quote from: lazyhour on June 30, 2022, 07:50:50 AMOn a vinyl nitpick note, I hope they've remastered Parallax Error as I have the original vinyl pressing of that and my copy seems to get quite sharp and distorted from about halfway through each side.

He posted on Twitter that they're all being remastered by Guy (yes that one)

lazyhour

Art Bear

Saw him supporting The Monsoon Bassoon, Upstairs at The Garage, sometime in the very late 1990s. I was extremely drunk, angry and going through a bad break up. I heckled Max with such pithy one-liners as "you're shit! Mike Oldfield for the 90s!"

He might be alright though.

imitationleather

I saw him at Glade many year ago.

It was good iirc.

Not a bad anecdote, eh?

The Mollusk

Wasn't sure what to expect from the Lexington gig last Friday as I only managed to wrestle my brain into listening to approximately three of his songs in the two months between buying the ticket and attending the show, but I had a great time. The dude was on what I can only assume is top form, bouncing about and dancing and playing a blinder with assorted hardware, a melodica, a xylophone, and some other bits. Got his sister up to sing a couple tracks including a woeful cover of Auf Weidersen which was the only lowlight of the evening. Otherwise a solid set of off kilter dance pop/IDM bangers, tons of fun.

Support act Bas Jan were twee as fuck, like CocoRosie meets Wet Leg, musically quite proficient but the lyrics and vocals were dismal. They pulled out one cracking tune at the end of the set and I started warming to them and then they finished. Never mind. Gus Bonito played a load of weirdo pop belters as expected!

imitationleather

Quote from: The Mollusk on September 06, 2022, 11:38:44 AMGus Bonito played a load of weirdo pop belters as expected!

Apparently some cunts (i.e. me and another person) are booking him to play in Newcastle.

The Mollusk

Quote from: imitationleather on September 06, 2022, 07:12:33 PMApparently some cunts (i.e. me and another person) are booking him to play in Newcastle.

Nice! Depending on when that is I could be up for venturing north.

dontpaintyourteeth

Too poor to actually buy these reissues meself but have revisited all three albums and they are still great. He's a nice chap so I hope they sell well.

Pauline Walnuts

Is he the guy who managed the impossible and made Daphne and Celeste boring?

Epic Bisto

Max is brill!  Someone on another forum turned me on to the first album ages ago and I think it's brilliant.  The next two albums go to show that not only can he create some wonderfully experimental tunes but can also make a nice perfect pop song too.  Once the paycheck for the new job comes in, I'm upgrading my old scratched CDs for the LP remasters.