Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 10:14:40 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Looking back on the 2012 Olympics, 10 years on

Started by Fambo Number Mive, July 01, 2022, 09:52:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: ProvanFan on July 01, 2022, 01:46:50 PMI've been pole vault daft ever since. Bring my pole with me everywhere.

I spoke to Pawel and he said he wouldn't mind a bit of time to himself every now and then.

Paul Calf

I remember Morrissey saying at the time that Olympic Britain 'had the whiff of fascism' about it. He was right, but I'm not sure whether he approved of that or whether that was before his full-on dickhead transformation.

studpuppet

One other utterly pointless thing they did, was choose Broxbourne Lido as the site for the White Water Centre, which they promptly knocked down in preparation for. You might vaguely remember there being a hoo-haa about it being impossible to access (despite there being a perfectly good railway station right next to it, 30mins from Liverpool Street), and a certain B. Johnson getting involved in it being re-sited a few miles further south and a 30min walk from the station they told everyone to get off at.
So, Broxbourne lost its Lido and now has concrete steps leading to a big flat-bottomed hole in the ground that seems to be used by the local dog training club and no one else.

I mean, it wasn't the prettiest building ever...

...but it had a fucking WAVE MACHINE!

Video Game Fan 2000

remember being on a coach through London at the time and seeing the sequence of a whole row of boarded up buildings, then a totally desolate street with empty shops, then a big WAHEY OLYMPICS sign with directions to all the fancy things with lots of grass and flowers around it, then another row of boarded up buildings. dont think i'm describing this well but it had the rhythm of a Simpsons joke

Quote from: Martin Van Buren Stan on July 01, 2022, 11:34:57 AMAre art galleries and museums a waste of money when CHILD ARE DYING or just sports?

art galleries and museums are frequently used and employ people

if the olympics resulted in a lot of new sports sites open to the public and youngsters itd be a different story

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

It was better than the one in Brazil four years later, which was shit as fuck. Green pools, empty stadiums and people thinking they could pick up the golf ball as a souvenir if it came close to them.

poodlefaker

Quote from: Paul Calf on July 01, 2022, 02:29:14 PMI remember Morrissey saying at the time that Olympic Britain 'had the whiff of fascism' about it. He was right, but I'm not sure whether he approved of that or whether that was before his full-on dickhead transformation.
Funnily enough, we were watching Danny Boyle being inteviewed by C4 News a few weeks before and my wife said "I recognise him, who is it?" I told her it was Morrissey and she said "Ah yes, I thought so", and for the next month she believed Morrissey was in charge of the Olympics Opening Ceremony, which is a lovely idea.

Paul Calf

Quote from: poodlefaker on July 01, 2022, 04:07:57 PMFunnily enough, we were watching Danny Boyle being inteviewed by C4 News a few weeks before and my wife said "I recognise him, who is it?" I told her it was Morrissey and she said "Ah yes, I thought so", and for the next month she believed Morrissey was in charge of the Olympics Opening Ceremony, which is a lovely idea.

That's excellent :D

Psybro

The abandoned Olympics site at Barcelona is really quite nice, having a hilltop setting where you wouldn't really want to be putting anything of much use.

superthunderstingcar

Quote from: ProvanFan on July 01, 2022, 01:46:50 PMI've been pole vault daft ever since. Bring my pole with me everywhere.
I'm the same, except with rifle and pistol shooting.

Kankurette

Quote from: Paul Calf on July 01, 2022, 02:29:14 PMI remember Morrissey saying at the time that Olympic Britain 'had the whiff of fascism' about it. He was right, but I'm not sure whether he approved of that or whether that was before his full-on dickhead transformation.
I'm guessing that was his idea of a compliment.

Brian Freeze

Quote from: studpuppet on July 01, 2022, 02:43:13 PM...but it had a fucking WAVE MACHINE!

In that photo it looks more like a WHALE MACHINE!

king_tubby

Where's that dude on here who knows everything about swimming pools? We need a review!

shoulders

studpuppet

PlanktonSideburns

Quote from: Martin Van Buren Stan on July 01, 2022, 11:34:57 AMAre art galleries and museums a waste of money when CHILD ARE DYING or just sports?
Wish there was an art competition as big as the olympics

100m watercolours

Endurance art marathon

Electric guitar

Most moving five minute film

imitationleather

Video Game Fan 2000

speed mosiac
super heavy weight cymbals
pole dance vaulting
endurance being a big old gammon and reading about how much conceptual art sells for these days on the train on in a heatwave
mens 100m drag Jonathan Jones to the rubbish tip on a sled

The Dog

I heard that one of the high jumpers got stuck mid-air and they had to burst him to get him down.

Also, remember all those volunteers they had? Never seen again. Totally vanished.

The Dog

What about that 400m runner who passed all the drug tests and they didn't even notice he had a piston engine? Makes you wonder what else they missed. I know there were strong rumours about the bronze medalist in the mens wrestling:

but maybe people were just being unkind.

Video Game Fan 2000

still laughing about when no one told any of the runners to stop and they all drowned

shoulders

Dex Sawash

Fambo Number Mive

West Midlands Railway is asking people to work from home during the Commonwealth Games while Commonwealth Games ticket holders have travel by public transport within the nNetwork boundary to and from their sporting event included in their ticket.

Surely if local people are being asked to work from home to make sure Big Sport can take place and public transport travel for spectators is included in the Games tickets, local public transport operators will lose a lot of money unless part of the ticket sale goes to public transport operators or they are getting some kind of grant.

Looks like toilets on West Midlands trains might be harder to access as well:

QuoteJust like our bins, our toilets are likely to fill up quickly too, and towards the end of the day toilets on services may be out of use. We're providing additional portable toilets at stations, you're advised to use the toilets at the event venue, or station before boarding.

I see Paris has the Olympic Games in 2024.

The Crumb

Quote from: Elderly Sumo Prophecy on July 01, 2022, 03:22:18 PMIt was better than the one in Brazil four years later, which was shit as fuck. Green pools, empty stadiums and people thinking they could pick up the golf ball as a souvenir if it came close to them.

It was the best thing to ever happen on a golf course when some capybaras appeared.

The Mollusk

Quote from: Video Game Fan 2000 on July 02, 2022, 03:59:22 PMstill laughing about when no one told any of the runners to stop and they all drowned

Coach: I mean there is a "finish" line, but what is finishing, really? When will you truly be finished?

Judas Priest: Do it.

chip

Well I had fun watching it on telly. Especially Mr Bean

Beyond that, just limited sympathy for anyone who would actively choose to live in London.