Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 23, 2024, 10:26:04 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Drone

Started by Famous Mortimer, July 01, 2022, 04:14:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Famous Mortimer

Original thread here

I just got the 18-CD retrospective of the electronic music of Eliane Radigue, the former student / collaborator of Pierre Schaffer and Pierre Henry, who made some absolutely cracking music, mostly using an ARP 2500 modular synthesizer. The thing I love about her stuff is it's not background music - the slowness and relative quietness of a lot of her pieces really encourage listening to enjoy the tiny changes that are going on.

What's floating your boat, re: drone music, these days?

dontpaintyourteeth

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on July 01, 2022, 04:14:22 PMOriginal thread here

I just got the 18-CD retrospective of the electronic music of Eliane Radigue, the former student / collaborator of Pierre Schaffer and Pierre Henry, who made some absolutely cracking music, mostly using an ARP 2500 modular synthesizer. The thing I love about her stuff is it's not background music - the slowness and relative quietness of a lot of her pieces really encourage listening to enjoy the tiny changes that are going on.

What's floating your boat, re: drone music, these days?

This exact boxset, funnily enough. I put something on my insta stories along the lines of "THIS IS BLOWING MY MIND".

sardines

The Radigue Occam series has been frustratingly difficult to track down. At least this one is available digitally.

https://organreframed.bandcamp.com/album/occam-xxv-2

It probably doesn't quite count as drone but certainly fits into the Radigue/Oliveros frame. I loved the recent Valentina Goncharov albums so much that I couldn't resist this

https://hidden-harmony.bandcamp.com/album/ocean-symphony-for-electric-violin-and-other-instruments-in-10-parts

The kind of album that requires a bottle of whisky and several hours of free time to absorb everything going on.

Famous Mortimer

Kali Malone, church organ-based drone musician, has just sold out of pre-orders for her new album, "Does Spring Hide Its Joy" (but the digital album is only 13 euros). There's one track on Bandcamp, and it's incredible, a bit of a departure for her, with some really interesting stuff going on.

QuoteDoes Spring Hide Its Joy is an immersive piece by composer Kali Malone featuring Stephen O'Malley on electric guitar, Lucy Railton on cello, and Malone herself on tuned sine wave oscillators. The music is a study in harmonics and non-linear composition with a heightened focus on just intonation and beating interference patterns. Malone's experience with pipe organ tuning, harmonic theory, and long durational composition provide prominent points of departure for this work. Her nuanced minimalism unfolds an astonishing depth of focus and opens up contemplative spaces in the listener's attention.

(also, I didn't realise she'd released something else earlier this year which wasn't organ music either, so perhaps this album is more just a continuation of her exploring new things)

one_sharper

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on November 16, 2022, 08:25:02 PMKali Malone, church organ-based drone musician, has just sold out of pre-orders for her new album, "Does Spring Hide Its Joy" (but the digital album is only 13 euros). There's one track on Bandcamp, and it's incredible, a bit of a departure for her, with some really interesting stuff going on.

Will definitely be checking this out - have been listening to 'Living Torch' a lot since that came out. There's some great stuff on her XKatedral label too ('Funeral Folk' has been a big favourite, and just realised they also put out that Tongue Depressor album, which is ace).

For pipe organ drone (and other things besides), Sarah Davachi's latest has been one of my favourites of the year.

willbo

this grabbed me recently, though I'm more into Lattimore than drone -

iamcoop

I know literally nothing about this genre but my partner is bang into it.

When we were in Berlin earlier this year she noticed this was on and immediately got us some tickets.

In her "Adnos" trilogy, the composer Éliane Radigue forms a continuously transforming sound texture, inspired by the idea of moving water. Under the sound direction of François J. Bonnet, "Adnos I" (1973–1974) finds its way into the starry dome of the Zeiss Planetarium.

I went in completely blind to any of this and was completely blown away. Ended up being an intensely psychedelic and weirdly cleansing experience, the music didn't sound like anything I'd been expecting.

Not sure if it's the sort of thing I'd stick on at home of an evening but for a live experience it was a game changer.

one_sharper

Quote from: willbo on November 17, 2022, 11:17:33 AMthis grabbed me recently, though I'm more into Lattimore than drone -

Adore her stuff. Have you heard her album with Paul Sukeena from this year? It's sublime.

sardines

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on November 16, 2022, 08:25:02 PMKali Malone, church organ-based drone musician, has just sold out of pre-orders for her new album, "Does Spring Hide Its Joy" (but the digital album is only 13 euros). There's one track on Bandcamp, and it's incredible, a bit of a departure for her, with some really interesting stuff going on.

(also, I didn't realise she'd released something else earlier this year which wasn't organ music either, so perhaps this album is more just a continuation of her exploring new things)

Ugh I ended up pre-ordering the vinyl even though I've convinced myself these long form pieces are better digitally.

I also have her album from this year and even without the organ, I'd say sonically it is in the same area as her earlier albums.

My memory of "Does Spring Hide Its Joy" is that it is quite a departure. Reminding me more of Pauline Oliveros' 'Deep Listening' and Eliane Radigue's 'Occam Ocean' specifically the below performance once you get about 12 minutes in and the strings start. (There is a risk I'm talking bollocks as I saw that performance  a year ago).

lankyguy95

The new Nils Frahm album, Music For Animals. Whole thing comes in at just over three hours. No lo-fi piano stuff this time – it's patient, organic synth work and it's beautiful.

Famous Mortimer

Kali Malone is doing a mix on 6 Music tonight, according to her FB page. Anyone able to rip it?

one_sharper

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on December 01, 2022, 10:41:47 PMKali Malone is doing a mix on 6 Music tonight, according to her FB page. Anyone able to rip it?

This one? If so, I'll download (probably in the next few days, though) and send you a PM.

Famous Mortimer

Yes! I did nearly say "can anyone tape it?" until I remembered what year it was.

jobotic

Ooh please may I have a PM too one_sharper?

one_sharper

Quote from: jobotic on December 03, 2022, 02:57:56 PMOoh please may I have a PM too one_sharper?

Sure!

While I'm here, I really recommend Foxy Digitalis for coverage of drone and similar music. Fantastic site. https://foxydigitalis.zone/

one_sharper

On the subject of Kali Malone, I came across this recent radio interview about her influences, which is worth a listen.

SpiderChrist

I also have a rip of the 6Music thing if anybody wants it

sardines

Bumping this as Kali Malone's "Does Spring Hide Its Joy" is now available. My first listen and I'm tempted to get hyperbolic and say this is an instant classic to be spoken of alongside Pauline Oliveros' 'Deep Listening' or Yoshi Wada's 'Off The Wall'.

Admittedly this is likely to be because Lucy Railton's playing, whatever the record, immediately puts me in another mind space.

I just need a 3-5 hour train journey to properly absorb this.

one_sharper

Really enjoying the new album from Tongue Depressor: https://worriedsongs.bandcamp.com/album/bones-for-time

By turns gnarly, pretty, meditative and unsettling. Loved last year's 'Burnish' (released on Kali Malone's label) but this is somehow even better. Expansive, and justifies the length (it's a double LP).

sevendaughters

I thought that Jim O'Rourke set from a few years ago (To Magnetize Money) had the same kind of deep listening vibe of a Radigue/Malone.

dontpaintyourteeth

Quote from: sevendaughters on February 15, 2023, 11:51:53 AMI thought that Jim O'Rourke set from a few years ago (To Magnetize Money) had the same kind of deep listening vibe of a Radigue/Malone.

yeah that was fucking great

willbo

this is my current drone obsession

jobotic

Quote from: sardines on January 20, 2023, 10:57:52 AMBumping this as Kali Malone's "Does Spring Hide Its Joy" is now available. My first listen and I'm tempted to get hyperbolic and say this is an instant classic to be spoken of alongside Pauline Oliveros' 'Deep Listening' or Yoshi Wada's 'Off The Wall'.

Admittedly this is likely to be because Lucy Railton's playing, whatever the record, immediately puts me in another mind space.

I just need a 3-5 hour train journey to properly absorb this.

Listened to some of this last night and got carried away and bought it on CD. Can't really afford it and won't get it until the end of next month but what a sound.

jobotic

Kali Malone has had a concert cancelled because of religious far-right fucks.

https://ra.co/news/78996

Really not sure how devout they are if they don't think their god can handle a bit of drone.

sardines

A bit of a thread revival to note: Rip Catherine Christer Hennix. A name that probably should sit alongside male equivalents La Monte Young, Terry Riley and so on. Most famous piece is The Electric Harpsichord one below though I happily bathed in one of her more recent releases available here . A gorgeous bit of deep listening.

dontpaintyourteeth

Quote from: sardines on November 25, 2023, 09:39:45 AMA bit of a thread revival to note: Rip Catherine Christer Hennix. A name that probably should sit alongside male equivalents La Monte Young, Terry Riley and so on. Most famous piece is The Electric Harpsichord one below though I happily bathed in one of her more recent releases available here . A gorgeous bit of deep listening.

Sad news. The Deontic Miracle is really great too (and on the same label)

Famous Mortimer

Kali Malone has a new one coming out very soon, "All Life Long", a collection of music for pipe organ, choir, and brass quintet. The preview tracks on Bandcamp are all as brilliant as you'd expect.

https://kalimalone.bandcamp.com/album/all-life-long

The Mollusk

Washing away the morning's tension of inflammatory bowel disruption and general winter malaise with 32 mins of discordant multi-tracked string abuse. Real fuckin nice, like a rusty water enema of the senses.