Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 07:53:34 PM

Login with username, password and session length

New Star Trek TV series

Started by Deanjam, November 02, 2015, 04:58:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

olliebean

Quote from: mothman on July 22, 2018, 09:59:51 AM1. Why do the uniforms (and some tech) appear so inimical to that established as having existed in 2255 and 2265?

My hope is it will turn out the Enterprise is a special fancy-dress LARPing retro ship that the rest of Starfleet secretly make fun of behind their backs.

mothman

Either that, or with those primary-coloured uniforms, they're the Future Space Wiggles.

phantom_power

My biggest question is why the technology seems so much more advanced than it should be. I am not too fussed about the uniforms

Alberon

If it wasn't for the first TOS pilot it wouldn't be an issue as it could look like an evolution of the Enterprise jumpsuit.

As to the design, it's all very detailed and all, but I just don't like it.

Blumf

Pssssh

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/doug-grindstaff-dead-star-trek-sound-effects-maestro-was-87-1130648
QuoteDoug Grindstaff, a five-time Emmy Award winner who created communicator beeps, Tribble coos and other sound effects employed on the original Star Trek, died July 23 in Peoria, Arizona, his family announced. He was 87.

In a 2016 interview for the Audible Range blog, Grindstaff noted that Star Trek creator Gene Roddenberry "wanted to paint the whole show [with sound] like you were painting a picture.

"And he wanted sounds everywhere. One time I asked him, 'Don't you think we're getting too cartoony?' Because I felt it should be a little more dignified, but he wanted sound for everything. For example, I worked on one scene where [Dr. McCoy] is giving someone a shot. Gene says, 'Doug, I'm missing one thing. The doctor injects him and I don't hear the shot.' I said, 'You wouldn't hear a shot, Gene.' He said, 'No, no, this is Star Trek, we want a sound for it.'

"So I turned around to the mixing panel and said, 'Do you guys have an air compressor?' And they did. I fired up the air compressor, squirted it for a long enough period by the mic, went upstairs, played with it a little bit and then put it in the show. And Gene loved it. So, that's how Gene was. He didn't miss nothing!"

Grindstaff said he created Tribble coos by manipulating the sound of a dove.

So many nice sounds in TOS.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kG-0V-85H_0&t=16

Cloud

My bigger question is why the technology in TOS is so shit compared to what you can get on a smartphone now, which is set before then.  Because of that, I'm not going to worry about Discovery looking a bit more modern.

The exception being the holographic communication, which was presented as a breakthrough in DS9...

Blumf

It's one of the many reasons not to do a Trek prequel, the Zeerust burns.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Malcy on August 01, 2018, 11:15:04 PM
Some details on Spock in series 2

https://trekmovie.com/2018/08/01/season-2-of-star-trek-discovery-will-explore-spocks-formation-and-family-say-producers-and-cast/

Ugh, I can't say I'm enthusiastic about that, I wish Discovery would just be it's own thing and not try to link itself to the original series so much. Especially as what they plan to do with Spock sounds a bit shit.

Malcy

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on August 02, 2018, 11:37:31 AM
Ugh, I can't say I'm enthusiastic about that, I wish Discovery would just be it's own thing and not try to link itself to the original series so much. Especially as what they plan to do with Spock sounds a bit shit.

I wish they hadn't bothered making it at all. But it's there so i'm taking what good in it I can. Think this will be the 6th actor to play Spock now. Nimoy, Quinto, DSC Spock & the 3 or 4 who played him in The Search For Spock.

Natnar

I wonder if they'll shoehorn a Picard cameo into Discovery somehow? Some time-travel crap maybe.

Malcy

Glad it's been confirmed. Quite happy.

Mango Chimes

Quote from: Patrick StewartHe may not be the Jean-Luc that you recognize and know so well. It may be a very different individual.

Locutus series confirmed.

This seems a slightly odd statement, and part of the reason that bringing back these old things is often a bit of a creative straight-jacket. No one's going to be happy with a Picard series where Picard isn't acting like Picard, but then it also will be a bit stilted if he hasn't developed at all in twenty years.  (And yes yes, Logan, but X was a supporting character; Wolverine was the same Wolverine he ever was.)

Still, new Star Trek that's set in a 1990s view of the future rather than a 1960s view of the future.

Bingo Fury

Picard really was a great character and Stewart's always a pleasure to watch. I'm usually in favour of letting these things go and moving on, but the prospect of Picard away from Riker, Data and all the rest, in a new environment with a fresh group of people around him does sound quite enticing, a lot more exciting to me than a TNG cast reunion.

mothman

Quote from: Mango Chimes on August 05, 2018, 12:30:40 AM
Still, new Star Trek that's set in a 1990s view of the future rather than a 1960s view of the future.

Blanked on when Nemesis was set, had to look it up. 2379. So we're looking at 2399 or thereabouts. Future Spock in ST '09 came from 2387. The 'look' of the show could be quite different (TNG is set between 2363 and 2370), and we could get a show that is a 2010s view of the future... in fact, we'd have to - they can't go backwards now. If they couldn't bring themselves to make a series of films or a show (the Kelvinverses and DSC, respectively) that looked contemporary to a 60s TV show, I doubt Kurtzman et al will insist on the Picard show looking like a half-arsed update of an 80s/90s one.

Shaky

Excellent news. Picard truly was one of those characters who could get away with reading the (space) phone book and make it seem interesting. I'm sure they'll drop in a couple of TNG cameos which I'm fine with if they don't overdo it.

Small Man Big Horse

This is the creative team apparently:

QuoteAccording to Deadline, the creative team for the Picard series will include James Duff, who recently joined Discovery as an executive producer, former Discovery executive producer Akiva Goldsman, Discovery writer and Star Trek novelist, Kirsten Beyer, and Pulitzer prize-winning author Michael Chabon, who is also writing one of the Star Trek: Short Treks.

I was really disappointed to see Akiva Goldsman is involved, but the fact that Chabon is writing for it is pretty amazing, he's one of my favourite authors and his novel The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier & Clay is brilliant stuff, so this could turn out to be a bit special.

Lemming

Not happy about the incessant retreading of old territory, but yeah, I like Picard a lot and Patrick Stewart can make almost any material work.

What's the show going to actually be about, though? The thought of him moping around on his frigging vineyard, reflecting sombrely on his adventures (complete with awful callbacks to specific episodes) is not appealing at all. Maybe a show where he's on the Admiralty board or an advisor or something and has to tackle ethical issues? I dunno.

Shaky

Stewart's comments are obviously pretty vague but I'm hoping we're talking brand new territory for the character rather than old Jean Luc, as you say, moping around remembering things and getting in the way of strutting young cadets. TNG was much less action-y than the films so there's no reason why he still can't visit different places, meet new characters and challenges yet be an experienced & wise old man.

Natnar

Aren't we now roughly in the timeline where future Picard from All Good Things was?

mothman

Depends how roughly they mean 20 years. I thought "AGT..." was partly set 20 years after the rest of the ep (so 2370 to 2390)!but Nemory Alpha says it's 2395ish. 25 years then I guess.

Alberon

Different timeline now, though.

Maybe he's retired to take up archaeology full time, or is an ambassador (spoiling alien races with spherical chocolate treats) or maybe he's allowed them to finally kick him up to the admiralty.

Or maybe he's retired to the Yorkshire Dales with Worf and Riker and the series will be about the amusing scrapes they get into. In that one the Enterprise-F is obviously a tin bath.

Small Man Big Horse

All Good Things aired in 1994, and as this series won't begin until 2019 (and so 25 years later) I predict the final episode will end with Picard standing outside of Q's house, shouting "What year is this?", before Tasha Yar screams in a horrendously haunting manner.

Chairman Yang

QuoteThe creative team for the newest Star Trek series includes Alex Kurtzman...

mothman

I think we can rule out any chance of him being an ambassador or an archaeologist. Nothing less than Picard in a Starfleet uniform will do. His old crew will have dispersed. Riker and Troi off on the Titan (or beyond). Worf has had his own path to follow for a while now. Crusher... well, I'm not sure the powers that be ever cared that much about her character any more than they did her son (or the actors). Geordi... one timeline has him commanding the USS Challenger in 2390. Data is dead.

(Interestingly, one of the background comics for the release of ST '09, about how Spock goes back in time, has a reincarnated Data - deleted scenes from Nemesis suggest his implanted memories in his 'brother' B-4 were starting to come through - commanding the E-E or E-F with Geordi as his first officer).

Shaky

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on August 05, 2018, 02:33:41 PM
All Good Things aired in 1994, and as this series won't begin until 2019 (and so 25 years later) I predict the final episode will end with Picard standing outside of Q's house, shouting "What year is this?", before Tasha Yar screams in a horrendously haunting manner.

As long as there isn't a prior sex scene between Picard and Riker. Or anyone, really.

Phil_A

Quote from: Shaky on August 06, 2018, 03:38:22 AM
As long as there isn't a prior sex scene between Picard and Riker. Or anyone, really.

How about Riker and Riker?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bYMfwBGveMg

Shaky