Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 09:40:44 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Tellies 2023

Started by katzenjammer, September 17, 2023, 10:44:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

katzenjammer

I'm after a new tv to replace a 10 year old 37" plasma. The internet tells me that an LG 55" C2 is a good option for 'most people' but does anyone here have any insight? I could get one for €1250, and I guess I ought to get some sort of sound bar since the sound will probably be crap

aunt mildred

You can't really go wrong with a LG OLED, they are great TV's. That one you're looking at seems a bit pricey to me though, I think C3's have been out for a while now. Where are you based?

I'm using a cheapo 55" Hisense with a LG C1 panel and built in soundbar and can't fault it really, apart from the wanky OS but I can live with that (LG OS is far better). Picture and sound are amazing for £610 from Costco with 5 year guarantee. That was a while back though.

katzenjammer

I'm in Spain, this is the one I was looking at, not for any particular reason apart from it came up on a google search here

https://www.pccomponentes.com/lg-oled55c24la-55-oled-ultrahd-4k-hdr10-pro

the c3 looks to be quite a bit more expensive, unless i just don't understand the numbering system which is very possible

https://www.pccomponentes.com/lg-oled55c34la-55-oled-evo-ultrahd-4k-hdr10

I'm also not bothered about the OS, I'll probably continue to use a firestick and Kodi for content

aunt mildred

I would be looking at the best deal you can get on a 55" C3. You are correct with the numbers. You're going to be keeping it for a long time so get something good (says the cunt with a Hisense haha).

Minami Minegishi

I bought a Hisense and it would not stop defaulting back to that smooth setting everytime I switched from my plugged in hard drive back to the usual TV setting.

It angered me so much I returned it within 6-hours which wasn't easy given that it was a fucking huge 65" monstrosity.

I've always used Samsung TVs but I am reliably informed that LG TVs are just as good if not better for sometimes half the price.

aunt mildred

Quote from: Minami Minegishi on September 18, 2023, 01:41:31 PMI bought a Hisense and it would not stop defaulting back to that smooth setting everytime I switched from my plugged in hard drive back to the usual TV setting.

It angered me so much I returned it within 6-hours which wasn't easy given that it was a fucking huge 65" monstrosity.

I've always used Samsung TVs but I am reliably informed that LG TVs are just as good if not better for sometimes half the price.

Hahaha, nothings changed there which is why I said it's a wanky OS, this fucker loves banging on the the really crap smooth motion all the time as well. I get bored of going in the menu.

BUT I then watch a film with dolby vision and atmos and all is forgiven. 55" OLED with proper sound and picture for £610 you're having a laugh aren't you?

Brilliant telly with a lot of flaws.

buzby

I replaced my 37" Panasonic plasma (screen filter was delaminating) with an LG 42" OLED last year and it's been great so far. The 42" screen is frameless, so the TV is actually no bigger than the 37" one it replaced.

Cloud

When I bought my latest TV I subscribed to Which and the best buys were LG, LG, LG, LG, LG.  So I got LG.  Haven't been disappointed, great kit, and despite "ahhhh smart TVs will stop getting updates after 5 minutes" I've had mine like 3 years and if anything the sheer frequency of the updates is quite annoying.

katzenjammer

Quote from: buzby on September 18, 2023, 03:33:20 PMI replaced my 37" Panasonic plasma (screen filter was delaminating) with an LG 42" OLED last year and it's been great so far. The 42" screen is frameless, so the TV is actually no bigger than the 37" one it replaced.

Does the delaminating look like this?

katzenjammer

Quote from: Cloud on September 18, 2023, 04:18:10 PMWhen I bought my latest TV I subscribed to Which and the best buys were LG, LG, LG, LG, LG.  So I got LG.

Yeah I've seen more or less the same thing online. Unless I'm mistaken LG make all the current OLED panels

buzby

Quote from: katzenjammer on September 18, 2023, 05:53:44 PMDoes the delaminating look like this?

Yes ,that's exactly the same as what happened to mine, even in the same area (top right corner of the screen).

buzby

Quote from: katzenjammer on September 18, 2023, 06:11:48 PMYeah I've seen more or less the same thing online. Unless I'm mistaken LG make all the current OLED panels
Not quite - Samsung make the QD-OLED panels used in their S95 range and Sony's A95 range.

katzenjammer

Quote from: buzby on September 19, 2023, 12:15:42 AMYes ,that's exactly the same as what happened to mine, even in the same area (top right corner of the screen).

Interesting, I originally thought it was dirt behind the screen. It's actually 14 years old so it's not done badly.

buzby

Quote from: katzenjammer on September 19, 2023, 09:00:35 AMInteresting, I originally thought it was dirt behind the screen. It's actually 14 years old so it's not done badly.
Yes, in my case I initially thought it was some screen cleaner that had leached into it, but on closer inspection it was the bond failing between the outer layers of the screen. Mine was about the same age too. It was a great bit of kit, I even considered getting another second-hand but it looks like at the TH37PX70 panels went like that with age.

The only other problem i had with it was the PSU board failed 1 month outside warranty. I managed to find a second-hand PSU on ebay to replace it, and when I checked it against mine it appeared that on the later production runs they had 'cost reduced' it - mine used the same PCB, but a fair few parts like filtering capacitors had been omitted to make it cheaper (which is also probably what led to it being less reliable).

touchingcloth

Quote from: katzenjammer on September 18, 2023, 09:13:24 AMI'm also not bothered about the OS, I'll probably continue to use a firestick and Kodi for content

I'm in the (Portuguese, hi!) market for a new TV as my 12-year-old Samsung has started being erratic with its brightness levels.

Is it possible to get non-smart TVs still? I can't really be arsed with them because I either use the Apple TV or freeview box, and the Android OS on the second smart TV we used to have was total gash and took an hour to turn on. I just want a telly with an HDMI port and a speaker (so a monitor with added speakers, or a smart TV with diminished smarts), but these don't seem to exist?

Does anyone know of any tellies - smart or not - that can have blue light filters applied, ideally on a schedule but failing that just doable with minimal faff? I fuck about with the colour balance on my current TV, but it's not the same thing. Apple TVs don't have this option even though iPhones and Macs have it built in, so I'd be open to alternative streaming/casting boxes if there are any that do this to help me get that sweet melatonin of an evening.

buzby

Quote from: touchingcloth on September 19, 2023, 01:27:32 PMIs it possible to get non-smart TVs still? I can't really be arsed with them because I either use the Apple TV or freeview box, and the Android OS on the second smart TV we used to have was total gash and took an hour to turn on. I just want a telly with an HDMI port and a speaker (so a monitor with added speakers, or a smart TV with diminished smarts), but these don't seem to exist?
Pretty much every TV is smart now, as they need some kind of OS to be able to handle straming services. If you only want a display, audio and HDMI/USB ports you would be looking more at a professional AV monitor (which come with 'pro' level pricing).

The WebOS in my 2022 LG TV is very fast - it only takes a couple of seconds start up.

QuoteDoes anyone know of any tellies - smart or not - that can have blue light filters applied, ideally on a schedule but failing that just doable with minimal faff?
Both LG and Samsung TVs have blue light filter modes (Samsung call it EyeComfort mode). The LG one has to be activated from the menus but the Samsung one can by synced to local sunrise/sunset times.

Sebastian Cobb

If you've bought a recent smart tv it's worth checking to see if it's spying on you, a lot of them can run source-agnostic (i.e. not just playing from their smart apps) content recognition but you can disable it.
https://eu.usatoday.com/story/tech/columnist/komando/2023/01/26/your-tv-may-spying-you-but-heres-how-stop-it/11113419002/#:~:text=Samsung,)%2C%20and%20Voice%20Recognition%20Services.

Mr_Simnock

One thing I love about telly talk is lunatics in TV forums clinging to dear life that plasma is better than OLED in every way and they won't swap for anything, love those idiots

JaDanketies

Fuckin ell mate. I broke the TV a day or two ago and we're getting one that is bigger, badder and nicer than one I've ever owned before for £350.

Mr_Simnock

it is incredible how cheap big tellies are these days

Minami Minegishi

The £1,300 Samsung TV I bought in 2021 was just knocked over by my cat and the screen has come lose and has that weird line thing on the left hand side of the screen.

Am I correct to assume that this is not fixable?

https://flic.kr/p/2p4cxFZ
https://flic.kr/p/2p4dGaH

I don't know how to embed with Flickr on my phone. But here are links to the TV as it is now.

touchingcloth

Quote from: buzby on September 19, 2023, 01:50:15 PMBoth LG and Samsung TVs have blue light filter modes (Samsung call it EyeComfort mode). The LG one has to be activated from the menus but the Samsung one can by synced to local sunrise/sunset times.

Thanks! This page seems to suggest that LG's "Comfort View" can be scheduled on LG TVs, so maybe that's a new feature, assuming it's not just some dogshit AI-generated article.

JaDanketies

New TV is dead nice. I see these memes about how your boomer dad has his new TV set up improperly tho and I worry that this might be me. I don't know what any of the functions mean.

It's great that I can now click a button on the remote to open up some popular apps rather than have to use the firestick, and also that the remote controls the firestick when it's set to show the firestick. But we didn't know that this would happen when we got it.  Also it's loads more responsive.

The first one that came round had a big greyish / white spot in the middle that was most noticeable when the screen was black so Argos took that one away and brought another one. What happens to these faulty TVs when they're returned? Do they just chuck em in the bin?

Jerzy Bondov

Quote from: JaDanketies on September 20, 2023, 05:43:02 PMNew TV is dead nice. I see these memes about how your boomer dad has his new TV set up improperly tho and I worry that this might be me. I don't know what any of the functions mean.
The big one is turning off whatever motion smoothing shit they have on there. They all call it something different (LG is TrueMotion) but if you google it there will be a guide on how to turn it off on your particular telly. Or just wait for some pretentious dick head like me to come round and surreptitiously turn it off when you're out of the room

Glebe

Not that I can afford it right now but I've been pricing 4K tellies online. It seems like the cheapo ones aren't worth it because they generally have low brightness which apparently isn't great for HDR. A decent 50-55 inch with Dolby Vision would do me.

touchingcloth

Quote from: Jerzy Bondov on September 20, 2023, 09:43:27 PMThe big one is turning off whatever motion smoothing shit they have on there. They all call it something different (LG is TrueMotion) but if you google it there will be a guide on how to turn it off on your particular telly. Or just wait for some pretentious dick head like me to come round and surreptitiously turn it off when you're out of the room

Is that the thing they often have on display units in shops, that makes everything look hyper real? Display tellies are the thing that most makes me want to stick with my current TV, so good work, telly boffins.

buzby

Quote from: touchingcloth on September 20, 2023, 05:36:21 PMThanks! This page seems to suggest that LG's "Comfort View" can be scheduled on LG TVs, so maybe that's a new feature, assuming it's not just some dogshit AI-generated article.
Comfort View is only on LG's Android phones. Their TVs use webOS embedded Linux, which was originally developed by Palm for their smartphones.

Glebe

Can someone just give me a free 4K telly? Cheers.

touchingcloth

Quote from: buzby on September 20, 2023, 10:21:47 PMComfort View is only on LG's Android phones. Their TVs use webOS embedded Linux, which was originally developed by Palm for their smartphones.

Oh yes! We used to have a second small telly that was an LG, and yonks ago I had an HP TouchPad running webOS, so the telly's interface was familiar to me from that.

It was a decent tablet OS, actually. I seem to remember it introduced the UX thing of representing multitasking apps with cards that can be swiped between or flicked up to close.

Sebastian Cobb

This is going to sound odd but I'm aware oleds are seemingly quite fragile, how resistant are they to heat? I moved recently and had been putting off upgrading as I'd want a bigger screen but furniture to one side would've pushed everything off centre. Now my TV is in a South-facing bay window and I noticed the back can get quite hot on a sunny day. Not too bothered about the current set as it's about 12 years old and one of the older ones where the back is a ventilated metal cage with a fair bit of distance between the rest of the internals but would be more cautious with a brand new set.