Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,585,797
  • Total Topics: 106,777
  • Online Today: 949
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 28, 2024, 04:25:13 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Ideas for games that you know would be absolutely brilliant

Started by beanheadmcginty, December 08, 2023, 01:42:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BlodwynPig

ASFTSN

Dungeon Master style first person mega dungeoncrawler immersive sim but it's a couch co-cop

elliszeroed

Pinball tower, basically dozens of pinball maps on top of each other (and some secret side ones).

Aleister Growley

Quote from: Vodkafone on December 09, 2023, 12:19:14 PM1. A game based around acts of sabotage. Could be WW2 or something else, but disrupting plans of evil bad guys by derailing trains, blowing up munitions factories etc. Missions would involve a fair bit of stealth to evade guards, barbed wire etc., need to gather up materials, meet with co-conspirators etc. Satisfaction at seeing your plans come to fruition. I've searched and can't find one like this.

Have you tried The Saboteur? A bit old now, I guess, but it is exactly this. Set in Paris  and partially in black and white. Lovely stuff and unironically still my favourite game. 

Vodkafone

Quote from: Aleister Growley on December 10, 2023, 11:11:19 AMHave you tried The Saboteur? A bit old now, I guess, but it is exactly this. Set in Paris  and partially in black and white. Lovely stuff and unironically still my favourite game.

Oh thank you. Thanks as well to @Lemming - Hidden and Dangerous sounds good but it's pretty old, whereas the saboteur has a PS4 release that's playable on the PS5 and under £4 so I'll give that a go. I like the idea of regions of Paris turning to colour from black and white when liberated.

gabrielconroy

Quote from: Vodkafone on December 09, 2023, 12:19:14 PM1. A game based around acts of sabotage. Could be WW2 or something else, but disrupting plans of evil bad guys by derailing trains, blowing up munitions factories etc. Missions would involve a fair bit of stealth to evade guards, barbed wire etc., need to gather up materials, meet with co-conspirators etc. Satisfaction at seeing your plans come to fruition. I've searched and can't find one like this.

Did you ever play this?

PlanktonSideburns

Quote from: elliszeroed on December 10, 2023, 10:14:04 AMPinball tower, basically dozens of pinball maps on top of each other (and some secret side ones).

Sonic pinball had a bit of this vibe didn't it?

PlanktonSideburns

A game where a plumber with ties to the royal family has his missus nicked, has to traipse bloody everywhere to put it right, a real pain in the arse

MojoJojo

Minecraft, but all the rights and resultant income go to me.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Quote from: curiousoranges on December 10, 2023, 12:24:37 AMA game with no visuals at all. The story and action are only communicated to the player with audio and controller vibrations. On a proper console. Has anyone attempted this? I don't just mean a low lit section of a traditional game.
I have vague memories of reading a review of something like this on the Sega Saturn that involved hunting monsters with a beeping motion tracker. I recall it getting no points for graphics, because it didn't have any.

Aleister Growley

Quote from: Vodkafone on December 10, 2023, 12:36:30 PMOh thank you. Thanks as well to @Lemming - Hidden and Dangerous sounds good but it's pretty old, whereas the saboteur has a PS4 release that's playable on the PS5 and under £4 so I'll give that a go. I like the idea of regions of Paris turning to colour from black and white when liberated.

Hope you dig it, sir.
The black and white (with small accents of red) is so good, its a shame to liberate them really...

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

The Sweeney: The Videogame

Car chases in brown Fords and Jaguars, plenty of drinking and criminals getting told "Shut it you slaaag".

Pink Gregory

Quote from: Elderly Sumo Prophecy on December 10, 2023, 07:07:42 PMThe Sweeney: The Videogame

Car chases in brown Fords and Jaguars, plenty of drinking and criminals getting told "Shut it you slaaag".

So the Getaway but with slightly older cars

Vodkafone

Quote from: Aleister Growley on December 10, 2023, 07:00:57 PMHope you dig it, sir.
The black and white (with small accents of red) is so good, its a shame to liberate them really...

Ach, it was the wrong Saboteur on the PS store - bummer.

Sonny_Jim

Quote from: elliszeroed on December 10, 2023, 10:14:04 AMPinball tower, basically dozens of pinball maps on top of each other (and some secret side ones).
Akira Psycho Ball does a bit of this and it's great.  Metroid Pinball is also worth a look in

Thursday

Starfield but every planet has cities as detailed as GTA, and has dialogue and RPG systems like Baldur's Gate or Disco Elysium, the shooting is as good as Destiny. When you go into stadiums you can play Football and it's like Fifa and also has all the management options from Football Manager same with all other sports, and it also has time travel. Romanceable NPC's that end with actual fucking where you see it going in.

kalowski

Quote from: Aleister Growley on December 10, 2023, 11:11:19 AMHave you tried The Saboteur? A bit old now, I guess, but it is exactly this. Set in Paris  and partially in black and white. Lovely stuff and unironically still my favourite game.
One of my favourite ZX Spectrum games:

kalowski

A game where you wander around and there's loads of ladies and the ladies have no clothes on and sometimes you do it with the ladies adn they all really liek you and yuo press the X button and their clothes come off if they are not already nude and yuo have a big willy all the time.

DocDaneeka

samadriel

Quote from: kalowski on December 11, 2023, 07:37:06 PMA game where you wander around and there's loads of ladies and the ladies have no clothes on and sometimes you do it with the ladies adn they all really liek you and yuo press the X button and their clothes come off if they are not already nude and yuo have a big willy all the time.

samadriel

Quote from: gabrielconroy on December 10, 2023, 01:57:08 PM

Did you ever play this?

Commandos 2 in particular is an absolute gem, and very well suited to the sabotage-hungry gamer; you're sneaking into and blowing up ack acks, a Nazi icebreaker, the guns of Savo Island, the bridge over the river Kwai, all the planes on a Japanese aircraft carrier, you're breaking into Colditz, you're stopping the Nazis from demolishing central Paris... lots of fun.

Mobius

Papa Wheelie

You control a small spaceship flying up the screen and baddies come down from the top firing thousands of small pink bullets at you. There are five levels and if you want to get past level 3, you need to play it for at least fifty hours. If you make it all the way to the end without dying, you will feel incredible relief and euphoria and realise you never want to play it again.

shoulders

Japanese Knobhead

Enter the life of a general incompetent and unpleasant knobhead from Japan

PammySpacek

Quote from: curiousoranges on December 10, 2023, 12:24:37 AMA game with no visuals at all. The story and action are only communicated to the player with audio and controller vibrations. On a proper console. Has anyone attempted this? I don't just mean a low lit section of a traditional game.

As previously mentioned, there was a Sega Saturn game that did this (and was ported to the Dreamcast later on), though it was actually an interactive fiction affair rather than action based:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Real_Sound:_Kaze_no_Regret

QuoteReal Sound: Kaze no Regret,[a] literally "Real Sound: Regret of Wind", is an adventure audio game developed and published by Warp. The game was first released for the Saturn in July 1997, and later for the Dreamcast in March 1999. Real Sound was intended to provide equal access to sighted and blind players. The subtitle Kaze no Regret means "regret of wind" or "wind's regret".

QuoteConstructed as an interactive radio drama or an audio gamebook, the player spends the majority of the time listening as the story unfolds. At critical forks in the plot line, a set of chimes will ring, alerting the player that it is now their job to choose the course the plot will take. The choice that is selected is confirmed with the controller and the plot resumes.

QuoteWarp's president, Kenji Eno, created the game after receiving numerous appreciation letters from blind fans of his games in Japan.[2] Eno visited a number of his visually disabled fans to learn how it is that blind people could play the visually rich action game genre.

In a 2008 interview with 1Up, Eno stated:[3]

I had a chance to visit people who are visually disabled, and I learned that there are blind people who play action games. Of course, [blind people are] not able to have the full experience, and they're kind of trying to force themselves to be able to play, but they're making the effort. So I thought that if you turn off the monitor, both of you are just hearing the game. So after you finish the game, you can have an equal conversation about it with a blind person. That's an inspiration behind [Real Sound: Kaze no Regret] as well.

On the PC front, there are sound only games programmed by blind people dating back to the 90s. These actually function as visonless action games - I remember reading about a platformer where you used the stereo field and the increasing / decreasing volume of certain looping sound effects to judge if you should jump over an object, run on ahead, etc. In more recent times, there are a number of titles on itch.io that offer blind-orientated support of some kind.

George White

A giallo video game - you either play as the  detective/final girl or the killer, set in a GTA-type city, that's this completely nebulous generic place that's neither America or Britain or Europe, with police in nebulous uniforms and mix of surnames.

Pity that most of the dubbing voices are long dead, though.

Vodkafone

Quote from: gabrielconroy on December 10, 2023, 01:57:08 PM

Did you ever play this?

No, but that looks the sort of thing. Basically that but in first person and without the terrible voice acting would be cool.

Sonny_Jim