Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 05:13:52 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Final Fantasy Tactics (and other TRPGs)

Started by NoSleep, February 19, 2019, 09:33:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

seepage

completed the very last ever mission in Troubleshooter on about the fourth attempt. My ninja had a guaranteed kill against the enemy boss before being taken out. But there were a couple of robots immune to direct attacks and almost guaranteed to kill any character that got within range. Finally managed to get my Mr Freeze-alike character close enough to chuck an undodgeable ice grenade at them, freezing the robots into 'AT hell' and unable to get another turn.       

NoSleep

I haven't been able to play much of anything the last few weeks, due to workload, but youtubers Resonant Arc, who are massive fans of Yasumi Matsuno (as I am, too) have just commenced a series (link to episode 1 below) on Tactics Ogre, which they reckon will span out over 11 episodes and explore each of the three possible routes. They run it like a book club, with the idea being that you play along with them week by week (they set goals for where you should reach and stop). And, also like a book club, their focus is on the storytelling rather than the gameplay, which is always topnotch if Yatsumi Matsuno is at the helm, so looking forward to following this when the opportunity arises (when I've conquered some more work backlog). I'll watch the first one tonight, though, as it will be about the making of the game.

There's an interesting nugget of trivia, right at the start, that will be of interest to any TRPG fan.

seepage

Got up to Chapter III (Lvl 19) in Tactics Ogre: Reborn. The combats generally have been messy battles of attrition instead of any 'clever' tactics going on, perhaps I'm playing it wrong. Levelling up in towns with all units on AI control. As there is no choice of skills when you level up maybe there should be an option to automatically level up to the next Union party level.

I left Tactics Ogre for a bit to play Persona 5 Tactica before it scrolls off Game Pass, although it looks like it's relatively short. Although people are complaining it's too easy, I've found it quite tricky in places (playing on Hard). There's a mechanic where if you can place your three units to form a triangle around an enemy you can do a powerful combi attack on them.

I should also finish Gears Tactics in case it might scroll off Game Pass too.   

NoSleep

Quote from: seepage on November 30, 2023, 09:34:46 AMGot up to Chapter III (Lvl 19) in Tactics Ogre: Reborn. The combats generally have been messy battles of attrition instead of any 'clever' tactics going on, perhaps I'm playing it wrong. Levelling up in towns with all units on AI control. As there is no choice of skills when you level up maybe there should be an option to automatically level up to the next Union party level.

Check the video I posted above for some tips. Apparently status effects are really important tools, with Poison being the most powerful, especially with weapons that have 100% accuracy, as using them with such weapons also guarantees 100% chance of the effect being applied.

seepage

Thanks. I'll skip that in case of spoilers but I'll pay more attention to the options available!

NoSleep

It will be fine to watch it, as in all their episode 1 videos they only talk about the making of the game; episode 2 will be when spoilers begin and that's only going to be chapter 1 of the game anyway.

Front Mission 2 has had a couple of major updates since I put it down, so I may risk getting back on the case with that.

NoSleep

Quote from: NoSleep on November 30, 2023, 04:43:32 PMFront Mission 2 has had a couple of major updates since I put it down, so I may risk getting back on the case with that.

Well, version 1.0.4 seems to have sorted the game balance somewhat. I certainly didn't ace the mission I was stuck on, but I'm on to the next, at least, and that least is all I'm asking. The characters seem to be making conversation in clear english now, so some needed improvements in the localisation appear to have occurred.

oggyraiding

The final version of Rogue Trader came out yesterday on PC/PS5/Xbox Series. Combat is a turnbased grid sort of thing. If you're into the fashy Warhammer 40k universe (which is strangely lacking in RPGs), might be worth a shout. I'm enjoying it quite a bit.