Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 08:32:02 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Bill Maher continues

Started by Fambo Number Mive, March 18, 2024, 05:44:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fambo Number Mive

I cannot stand Bill Maher. He's been blaming Biden's low approval ratings on "a lot of Americans like to live with their head in the toilet" and tells his audience "an actual good nice-sized TV now cost 60 bucks...Stop acting like life in America in 2024 is unbearable"

He then lectures his viewers on mental health, claiming "Every bad feeling isn't a disease and Americans really need to stop pathologizing everything"

https://uk.news.yahoo.com/bill-maher-defends-biden-record-133000243.html

According to Hollywood Reporter, Maher has also fired his agency CAA after not being invited to a private Oscars party: https://uk.news.yahoo.com/bill-maher-defends-biden-record-133000243.html

Has Maher ever been funny or had anything interesting to say? He's a vocal critic of Trump, but like a lot of Democrat supporting commentators a lot of what he is reported to have said on his Wikipedia article isn't that far from conservative beliefs.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bill_Maher#Views

Sebastian Cobb

I really don't understand why he's gotten where he is today because whenever I've seen him (against my will) he's been an unfunny, annoying, wrongheaded midwit.

Any excuse to post this though.

Memorex MP3

He's an impressively grating presence, I can see how he's attracted an audience but I've no clue how he's managed to retain one for so long.

C_Larence

My ex-gf's parents who were vote blue no matter who Democrats loved him.

Goldentony

no worth, for cunts entirely

Ignatius_S

Quote from: Fambo Number Mive on March 18, 2024, 05:44:47 PMI cannot stand Bill Maher. He's been blaming Biden's low approval ratings on "a lot of Americans like to live with their head in the toilet" and tells his audience "an actual good nice-sized TV now cost 60 bucks...Stop acting like life in America in 2024 is unbearable"

He then lectures his viewers on mental health, claiming "Every bad feeling isn't a disease and Americans really need to stop pathologizing everything"

https://uk.news.yahoo.com/bill-maher-defends-biden-record-133000243.html

According to Hollywood Reporter, Maher has also fired his agency CAA after not being invited to a private Oscars party: https://uk.news.yahoo.com/bill-maher-defends-biden-record-133000243.html

Has Maher ever been funny or had anything interesting to say? He's a vocal critic of Trump, but like a lot of Democrat supporting commentators a lot of what he is reported to have said on his Wikipedia article isn't that far from conservative beliefs.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bill_Maher#Views

Although there's been considerable shifting away from this, historically, the two main parties were very broad churches, so that shouldn't be surprising or something to focus on, really.

Brundle-Fly

I don't agree with him on everything but mostly enjoy his show.

Barry Admin

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on March 18, 2024, 06:21:32 PMI don't agree with him on everything but mostly enjoy his show.

Yeah I haven't watched it in years, but remember it having engaging and intelligent chat.

Video Game Fan 2000

Quote from: Fambo Number Mive on March 18, 2024, 05:44:47 PMI cannot stand Bill Maher. He's been blaming Biden's low approval ratings on "a lot of Americans like to live with their head in the toilet" and tells his audience "an actual good nice-sized TV now cost 60 bucks...Stop acting like life in America in 2024 is unbearable"

what i admire most about libertarians is their consistency

Oosp

Bill Maher is a nothing cunt. He has never said anything funny in his entire career. His politics are absolute wank. He's an entitled prick who contributes nothing of value and cannot conceive of a single funny idea. I fucking hate Bill Maher and fuck the bastard

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: Fambo Number Mive on March 18, 2024, 05:44:47 PMand tells his audience "an actual good nice-sized TV now cost 60 bucks...Stop acting like life in America in 2024 is unbearable"

The 'nice sized TV' line was just a gag. Maher's main objective in the monologues/New Rules section, whether you find him funny or not, is to make people laugh before the message. He likes to tease in his humour.

And surely, the point of that "pathologising" routine (to me) is he is actually being respectful of people with genuine mental health issues rather than the sort of people who play the victim or hard done by card when they're just being an infallible human.

Dr Rock

LordMorgan

He's an Islamophobic IDF apologist

It's a no from me

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: LordMorgan on March 18, 2024, 09:05:23 PMHe's an Islamophobic IDF apologist

It's a no from me

I liked this routine though.

Maher's latest podcast with a heavily pregnant John Cleese is CaB catnip.

For my sins I used to like Maher about ten years ago until I saw through him.

He's a champion of "free speech" which means having on as guests (looking at the HBO listing for the last year, I refuse to watch) Ted Cruz, Kelly Anne Conway and Ron DeSantis. Because these people obviously find it hard to get a platform.

But if you look for an equivalent left wing guest you'll look in vain.

Maher might say he has these fascists on to confront them but he does a terrible, awful job at picking apart their bullshit. When was the last time you heard of someone going on his show and making a fool of themself? Never. Which is why these clowns keep agreeing to come on.

Maher is just another Rogan at this point, legitimizing fascists for money.

dead-ced-dead

Whenever I think of Maher, I just think of that incredibly smug smirk. I just have this primordial, caveman brained urge to see him be humiliated at every turn (see the Roddy Piper clip above).

His film 'Religulous' turned me from atheist to agnostic as I didn't want to be anything like that smug, hectoring cunt.

bgmnts

Impressively unfunny smug cunt for rich, liberal weirdos.

madhair60

I Would say this is very much a thread of two halve's

Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse

I remember him having Milo "Priests molesting kids is good actually" Yiannopolous, Breitbart writer, antifeminist and grifter, on his show during the "Gamergate/alt-right era" (2014-2016) and just utterly slurping his balls

Brundle-Fly

He's too centrist for most on here. Fair enough (he said centristly)
 The 'smug' criticism of him I get, but all those comedian/ talk show hosts have that arrogant flavour, it goes with the territory. I'm not down with everything he says, which I understand is a dealbreaker these days, but the fact he seems to wind up people appeals to me, I suppose?

perplexingprocrastinator

KennyMonster

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on March 19, 2024, 09:43:04 AMHe's too centrist for most on here. Fair enough (he said centristly)
 The 'smug' criticism of him I get, but all those comedian/ talk show hosts have that arrogant flavour, it goes with the territory. I'm not down with everything he says, which I understand is a dealbreaker these days, but the fact he seems to wind up people appeals to me, I suppose?

He supports the USA's military exerting itself on other democracies in South America to further its interests just because they are nearby ("in our backyard").

That is is right-wing, he is right-wing, centrists are right-wing.

Fambo Number Mive

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on March 19, 2024, 09:43:04 AMHe's too centrist for most on here. Fair enough (he said centristly)

I can't recall many comedians who talk as much crap as Maher, and certainly no talk show hosts. I dont regard being down with everything someone says as a dealbreaker, I disagreed with some of Tony Benn's views for example, and I'm sure I would disagree with some of Corbyn's. 

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: Fambo Number Mive on March 19, 2024, 02:07:42 PMI can't recall many comedians who talk as much crap as Maher, and certainly no talk show hosts. I dont regard being down with everything someone says as a dealbreaker, I disagreed with some of Tony Benn's views for example, and I'm sure I would disagree with some of Corbyn's. 

I was talking about the 'smugness' factor of hosting late night shows rather than what Maher says. The nature of Real Time is that it's an opinion show so he has to opine. A lot. 

You have a healthy attitude to agreeing to disagree. As far as I can see, a lot don't these days.

Petey Pate

Bill Maher's Club Random episode with Richard Dreyfuss may be one of the worst conversations ever recorded and released for the purposes of entertainment. Besides the gross and creepy discussions of incest and masturbating, theres the weirdness of Dreyfuss slowly sinking in his chair as the interview progresses, which Maher never addresses once.

checkoutgirl

The problem with Maher is even when he's right it's annoying because he's such an asshole about it. America is over medicated. America has terrible diets that make people sicker. Etc etc.

He's right. But he can still fuck off. And Norm's problem with him is also correct. He occupies a sort of halfway house between comedy and politics that doesn't seem to think it needs to be funny and usually isn't. (Same as HIGNFY after a few years). Toothless political criticism that probably helps these shithead politicians if anything.

Besides, his lectures on the wickedness of Republicans isn't being listened to by any Republicans. They don't care.

I haven't watched a stitch of his stuff in 15 years. He's smug personified.