Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 07:24:08 AM

Login with username, password and session length

King of Kong mullet man rumbled (part 2)

Started by Famous Mortimer, January 17, 2024, 01:55:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Crumb

Imo Billy Mitchell's Donkey Kong video game score records are invalid for plethora reasons:

For MAME emulator, the input-loop of the emulator is identical to the original, but the way in which the game is played is different. This is, for example, why the MAME emulator records a score for Donkey Kong before he turns on his tilt. This is because he is surfing the waves, doing a large jump, etc. For the original game, he would have turned on the tilt right after the jump, since he was flipping up into it. If he turned it on after the jump, it would be impossible for him to make the jump. For the MAME emulator, the input-loop is designed in such a way that it automatically gives a high score even if it's played a number of times, and in fact the arcade didn't allow players to skip the whole roll.

When the player hits buttons on the joystick, the display will show a controller pressing button A, followed by button B, then another button, etc. This gives the impression that the player presses button A, followed by B, then A. This works fine as long as the player is controlling an original arcade game. However, when using the MAME emulator, if the game is being played on a modern computer, the player is moving on-screen, so the player presses a button, and the joystick input is in reality what is displayed. This essentially means that MAME emulator scores are invalid, because the controls used in the game are different from those in a modern game.

Billy Mitchell uses secret tech to win

Billy Mitchell has done a number of interviews saying that he has never changed any features on his MAME emulator, because if he did, his scores would be invalid. He has said that this would require him to be a computer programmer to do the work necessary to make the changes in the code, and he does not want that responsibility. In fact, he even gives the impression that he is very proud of his MAME emulation code:

"I am very proud of my MAME code. I could have never done this kind of stuff without help from my friend Justin. I've been very fortunate to have him as my friend, since he is one of the best people I know."

It is also clear from his interviews that he knows all the details about the controls used in the game. If he were to have altered the controls, his score would no longer be valid. This would also require him to have been a programmer to do the work necessary to edit the code. The most likely scenario is that he just likes playing Donkey Kong, so he wrote down the code that he uses, and he keeps it for the same reason that people keep their Blockbusters coupons.

NoSleep

Can't see what intellectual dishonesty Karl has engaged in. Billy is making the absolute most of a very weak sauce outcome for himself (as would be expected from a lying narcissist). TG have not "reinstated" his former records, merely made them available to view as an archived curiosity museum piece in the basement (alongside other disgraced ex-luminaries like Todd Rogers), so to speak.

Famous Mortimer

I'm surprised they bothered with Todd Rogers, given a good number of his scores were literally impossible (outside the score range of the game, or not even a TAS can replicate it).

NoSleep

I think the point is that they bothered to put Billy's name "up there" with Todd Rogers'. And Billy's trying to point-score from that.

thugler

Quote from: madhair60 on January 17, 2024, 04:22:46 PMbut his records have been reinstated? lol

sorry but this Billy Mitchell thing has always baffled me. cunt absolutely slays at games, gets it in the neck for playing on MAME (which is literally exactly the same, I don't care what some stupid nerdy little cunt says) and gets turned into a scapegoat for internet pussies who are shit-scared of confidence.

The point is not that it's the same, it's that it makes it possible to use save states and therefore banned, it would be child's play to get the high score on a recorded run using save states.

madhair60

right but he didn't do that, it would be incredibly obvious if he used save states and spliced it, so it's just weird, mad made up shit that seems to be based on the fact he's apparently unlikeable because of King of Kong, whatever. maybe Billy is a cunt, but the fact Karl Jobst has tried to spin a definitive victory for Billy as a loss is disingenuous as hell and it pisses me off. makes Jobst look pretty bad.

for real though we're never gonna agree so i actually am just gonna leave it now; it's not even important, maybe i'm wrong, whatever.

The F Bomb

Looking forward to Karl's upcoming court case. Seems there is quite a bit more at stake now than expected.

NoSleep

Quote from: thugler on January 22, 2024, 09:11:40 PMThe point is not that it's the same, it's that it makes it possible to use save states and therefore banned, it would be child's play to get the high score on a recorded run using save states.

It doesn't matter about the ifs and buts; he could (and most likely did) play a blinding game, but he didn't follow the rules and he shouldn't be exempt from them, not forgetting his vested interests in Twin Galaxies (at the time) and Walter Day's idolisation of Billy over other less charismatic but equally capable figures in the community (that were just painted out of the picture at the time). His main claim is to be the first record holder but others have long beaten that score, for what it's worth, as the kill screen may or may not occur sooner or later, if you have the necessary skill to endure until it happens.

thugler

He's lied consistently enough that there are grounds to doubt virtually everything he says at this point. Beyond his early public records it's all quite possibly bs.

NoSleep

Memorex MP3

Anything that lets Billy continue his heel act is a victory for him, feel like this kind of result is probably the worst possible outcome for the rest of his family though.

I generally like Karl Jobst but he's def prone to a bunch of bullshit righteousness a lot of the time too. Much prefer when he's focusing on weird world records.

madhair60

Quote from: NoSleep on January 23, 2024, 01:11:19 PMLOL

it seems to me that it is unequivocally the best result for Billy and the opposite of what Jobst has been pushing for.

NoSleep

Unequivocally? That would have been winning the case. That would have been being reinstalled back into Twin Galaxies current list of official winners. Instead he can now quietly go "yay, I won. no surrender" while high fiving no-one in particular. Who knows what financial exchanges went on between the parties.

Billy can't settle out of court with Jobst because all of Karl's cost will fall back onto Billy, who is the litigious one trying to bully his naysayers into silence, which presumably will be a financial blow. I assume he thought he could just silence them by suing, not see them willing to raise the money and fight him in court.

NoSleep

Quote from: Memorex MP3 on January 23, 2024, 01:25:36 PMI generally like Karl Jobst but he's def prone to a bunch of bullshit righteousness a lot of the time too. Much prefer when he's focusing on weird world records.

I think he has a right to feel righteous in the face of bullying like this. He's playing Billy's game right back at him. Can't be bad for the algorithm, either, as he has an upcoming court case to budget for.

NoSleep

NoSleep

Karl's latest video on Billy's expert witness, who it turns out is a sleazebag.

NoSleep

One lying cunt who isn't getting a free pass on Twitter.

The F Bomb

Quote from: NoSleep on January 23, 2024, 03:02:31 PMI think he has a right to feel righteous in the face of bullying like this. He's playing Billy's game right back at him. Can't be bad for the algorithm, either, as he has an upcoming court case to budget for.

I have absolutely no idea why he decided to make this geriatric trivia his business.

NoSleep

He's exposed several cheats in speedrunning (was/is a speedrunner himself) and, again, it's probably good for the algorithm, and he has a family to support. From his perspective (journalist exposing cheats in gaming) Billy is a prime target. He was also fighting cancer a couple of years back; dunno if that's still looming. EDIT: Apparently the reason his skin is so white is that he has been fighting cancer all his life.

NoSleep

Quote from: The F Bomb on February 03, 2024, 07:31:24 AMI have absolutely no idea why he decided to make this geriatric trivia his business.

Alternately: yeah; Billy needs to find a new hobby.

Memorex MP3

Quote from: NoSleep on January 23, 2024, 03:02:31 PMI think he has a right to feel righteous in the face of bullying like this. He's playing Billy's game right back at him. Can't be bad for the algorithm, either, as he has an upcoming court case to budget for.
Sure, but it's just not a very engrossing watch when he's so thoroughly in the right and (outside of legal scenarios) arguing against a bunch of thoroughly disproven has beens. I've started skipping some of them and I'll play any old crap to fill my ears for a few minutes.

His tearing apart of the expert witness was a bit better though, although I think some of it was tonally poor relative to the quality of info he had unearthed. There's probably a really good investigation to be done on guys like that in general.

The F Bomb

Quote from: NoSleep on February 03, 2024, 10:29:26 AMHe's exposed several cheats in speedrunning (was/is a speedrunner himself) and, again, it's probably good for the algorithm, and he has a family to support. From his perspective (journalist exposing cheats in gaming) Billy is a prime target. He was also fighting cancer a couple of years back; dunno if that's still looming. EDIT: Apparently the reason his skin is so white is that he has been fighting cancer all his life.

Yes, I know it makes him more money, I just think squabbling with irrelevant has-beens is a rather dismal way forward for his channel.

NoSleep

And yet the mainstream press went with Billy's take. Well and good that we know the reality of what occurred, but we're in the minority. I don't blame him for doing this and I guess he doesn't see Billy as irrelevant while he has a court case against himself by the same.

Sonny_Jim

Quote from: madhair60 on January 23, 2024, 12:30:20 AMit would be incredibly obvious if he used save states and spliced it, so it's just weird, mad made up shit that seems to be based on the fact he's apparently unlikeable because of King of Kong

Utter horseshit, I'm afraid Madhair.....

I was in the (now nuked) Twin Galaxies thread when the original dispute started all those years ago and got to see all the evidence that was gradually put together.  He did use save states/splicing and this was thoroughly proved via the tape Billy himself submitted.  If you want I can go into the technical details as to how he was caught, but I've got a feeling that finding out Billy was a cheater isn't your purpose.

NoSleep

QuoteI've got a feeling that finding out Billy was a cheater isn't your purpose.

Fol de rol.

https://youtu.be/SaoxI1DO6Sk?t=116

Sonny_Jim

I know, I just wanted to boast that I'd seen it all unfold at the time.  BRB wiping butts

dontpaintyourteeth

billy mitchell is also the name of an eastenders character. is there any mileage in this

frajer

Quote from: dontpaintyourteeth on February 21, 2024, 07:49:53 AMbilly mitchell is also the name of an eastenders character. is there any mileage in this

Something about King of Kong and Queen Vic

Sonny_Jim

Billy obviously selling his hot sauce down the market.  Gets into a right pickle when he scores a date, but forgets he's got chilli hands from making all the hot sauce.

Well 'ard needs his arse wiped.  Billy forgets about the chilli hands thing again and Well 'ard ends up biting him and has to be put down.

Billy makes Ian Beale cry by rubbing his hands all over his eyes.

NoSleep

And the saga continues:

Apparently TG and Karl are in cahoots because Karl stays up until 3 in the morning, according to Billy.