Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 03:02:44 PM

Login with username, password and session length

What we do in the shadows

Started by Lord Mandrake, June 14, 2015, 05:55:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lord Mandrake

I can't find a thread for this, here or in comedy, sorry if there is one...
Genuine laughs to be had in this Vampire mocumentry. I was hesitant because the whole premise seems a bit thin and vampires, again. Massive fan of the conchords so Jemaine Clement was who sold it to me and his introduction as Vladislav -:an 800 year old, perverted vampire whom reminisces with glee about his torturing and baby eating - set the bar high. The cast are great although Taita Waiti's (co-writer/director) character and performance I found a bit grating. Especially love the guy who plays Nick, clearly not an actor at all but some kind of savant who raises most of the laughs with his unintentionally naturalistic performance.

Overall it is slight and uneven in places with some unnecessary filler but the unhinged Balkan music and inventive FX and a welcome cameo by Rhys Darby all make this worth seeing.

Saw the thread and thought, Cliff confesses?

Noodle Lizard

It was an idea for a film I'd had as early as 2004 and had been nurturing ever since.  As such, I don't think I can bear to actually watch it.

Bit more discussion here.
http://www.cookdandbombd.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=44275.0

I was really disappointed in it. It was a film not of laughter but polite smiling

Swoz_MK

I liked it when Brian/Murray played Brian/Murray again

Lord Mandrake

I don't know who Brian is. Presumably another of Rhys Darby's characters. Regardless, his character Anton in WWDITS - is probably written for him because his fussy mother hen schtick works perfectly here as he is the self proclaimed alpha of a self help group of dysfunctional werewolves. Besides personally, I never tire of him.

SteveDave

The biggest laugh from my settee was for the line about virgins/sandwiches.

Lord Mandrake

Nick bleeding from his eyes made me shit.

Serge

Finally got around to seeing this and really enjoyed it. Yes, it is quite a slight work compared to 'Flight Of The Conchords' (haven't checked out Taika Waititi's other work yet, but certainly will after seeing this), but still one I recommend to others (and to be honest, I watched it because two of my friends have been raving about it.)

Although I'm a big fan of Jemaine, I think I liked Jonathan Brugh as Deacon best, but the cast were great all around. I particularly liked the running joke of them all liking Stu more than Nick (and I kind of guessed that Stu would
Spoiler alert
become a werewolf
[close]
because
Spoiler alert
that's what happens when you get bitten by a werewolf, right?
[close]
) They got the touches of horror just right - particularly
Spoiler alert
Petyr's screechy death
[close]
- and I did laugh a lot. This and 'Wild Tales' have restored my faith in recent cinema, I have to say.

Puce Moment

As someone who does not watch a great deal of modern comedy films I was pleasantly surprised by this. It got so many genre issues right, and there were some actual scary bits.

And it is was very funny.

BritishHobo

Clement and Waititi are now working with Judd Apatow (as exec producer or whatever) on a HBO series. Gonna be 'like The Twilight Zone, but comedy' (according to Clement), in that it'll be a series of individual and very different stories (each made up of 'two to four episodes').

Quote from: BritishHobo on August 06, 2015, 07:36:25 PM
Clement and Waititi are now working with Judd Apatow (as exec producer or whatever) on a HBO series. Gonna be 'like The Twilight Zone, but comedy' (according to Clement), in that it'll be a series of individual and very different stories (each made up of 'two to four episodes').

Wait till Reece Shearsmith hears about this.

steveh

Finally got round to watching this now it's on Netflix and thought it was terrific. I wasn't sure if there was enough in the idea to sustain it for a whole movie but it manages it while keeping up a good laugh rate throughout.

Hat FM

Quote from: BritishHobo on August 06, 2015, 07:36:25 PM

My mate sent me  a link that said waititi was working on the new Thor film.  maybe that was bullshit?

brat-sampson

Yeah, I saw this on NF yesterday and had a good time. I liked the Deacon/Jackie dynamic and Nick/Stu's performances. It suffered from the same thing as a lot of comedy documentaries in that it didn't really know how to do an ending (in this case they seemed to try and solve it by having a few) but yeah, overall definitely worth watching.

Lord Mandrake

Quote from: Hat FM on October 12, 2015, 10:49:39 AM
My mate sent me  a link that said waititi was working on the new Thor film.  maybe that was bullshit?

He's up for it, not sure if confirmed. Also in the pipe a Werewolf-centric WWDITS and a Conchords movie YAY!

BritishHobo

Really torn on that Thor thing. I adore Waititi and essentially everything he's done (even the US Inbetweeners, and especially Boy), but those Thor films bore the absolute fucking tits off me.

BlodwynPig

This has been remade with CaB favourites Kayvan Novak, Matt Berry, and also Natasia Demetriou (Tingle Maid in plsLike). Out 27th March and shot in Toronto. The trailer looks passable.

chveik

Quote from: BlodwynPig on March 10, 2019, 03:12:21 AM
This has been remade with CaB favourites Kayvan Novak, Matt Berry, and also Natasia Demetriou (Tingle Maid in plsLike). Out 27th March and shot in Toronto. The trailer looks passable.

CHECK OUT THIS DUNCE

https://www.cookdandbombd.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=66786.0

BlodwynPig

Quote from: chveik on March 10, 2019, 03:31:58 AM
CHECK OUT THIS DUNCE

https://www.cookdandbombd.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=66786.0

yeh yeh yeh. yada yada yada. this thread popped up in google search and not that one.

chveik

yes of course, the search engine doesn't work well for cab.

I just thought this was the obligatory thing to do on here!