Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 09:24:23 PM

Login with username, password and session length

guitar players are the worst

Started by Pink Gregory, March 05, 2024, 04:05:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ferris

Quote from: iamcoop on March 27, 2024, 10:10:01 PMAre you a member of "Pedalboards of Doom" or "Pedalboards of actual Dickheads" on Facebook?

3 fuzzes on one board is fucking child's play pal.

Welcome to Hardcore Dadz

I'm just saying 3 fuzzes is the start. Just you watch pal, just you watch.

iamcoop

Quote from: Ferris on March 27, 2024, 10:12:44 PMI'm just saying 3 fuzzes is the start. Just you watch pal, just you watch.

Are you gonna end up like the dude from War on Drugs?

Ferris

More like he's gonna end up like me, eventually. I wish him luck.

Agent Dunham

He'll eventually be able to live inside that when he's finished building.

Norton Canes

Right, this is the sort of thing that gets me:

This is someone playing an E Minor 7th or some shit off a YouTube tutorial. Look at his ring finger! Look at it! It's straight, and only bends at the last knuckle! My ring finger doesn't do that!  Nobody's ring finger does that! None of my fingers have that shape unless you repeatedly slam them in a door! My fingers do what normal human fingers do and reach round in a kind of claw, each knuckle bending the same amount. How great would it be if my fingers were dead straight except for the final joint which bent out at ninety degrees, making them perfect for playing guitar? Fucking great, that's how great. Is there a special clamp I can attach to my hand that breaks the bones and bends the fingertips over, like I'm some sort of medieval Chinese infant with its feet bound? Fuck's sake, I might as well take up basketball, I'm about as physically suited to it as most of the rest of the population.

By the way did I say I was learning Siouxsie and the Banshees' Israel? Figure there isn't a better time.

purlieu

Find me a virtuoso musician without a connective tissue disorder and I'll find you a liar.

Ferris

I means it's 12-10-12-0-0-0

It isn't a massive stretch, though I'll accept that bloke's finger is insane.

fuzzyste

Ok im gonna say it. The prince solo in this is genuinely the most overrated thing in music? I fucking hate the chat around it every time its posted on social media and people cream themselves over it. Fucking pure shite.

fuzzyste

Quote from: iamcoop on March 27, 2024, 10:15:03 PMAre you gonna end up like the dude from War on Drugs?

Man thats a lot of pedals to get exactly the same sound on every song they play live

famethrowa

Quote from: fuzzyste on April 16, 2024, 08:09:42 AMOk im gonna say it. The prince solo in this is genuinely the most overrated thing in music? I fucking hate the chat around it every time its posted on social media and people cream themselves over it. Fucking pure shite.

I'm with you here, ok it's a decent solo, but pure Gen X facebook fuel for commenters. The song is such a deary dirge that Jesus Christ himself could return from the grave and play the solo on Jimi's flaming Strat and I'd still be like "yeah get on with it"

fuzzyste

I must say, I have a real hatred for tribute performances like that where you get like 50 lads on stage all playing the same chords, absolutely dire.

My other hot take is that comfortably numb isn't even in the top 15 Gilmour solos.

Now, off to work.

PlanktonSideburns

Ferris

I'm a Prince apologist but even I can't defend that. It's technically good, but 6 lads on stage all playing A minor... who is this for?

dontpaintyourteeth

Why would you need to be an apologist for Prince he was fuckin ace? What even is this thread

dontpaintyourteeth

nobody will ever make While My Guitar Gently Weeps good, doesn't matter how much glitter you roll it in.

fuzzyste

Prince apologist is a new one...

Ferris

Yeah fair point, apologist not the right word but I refuse to retract it on principle, as I never back down on one of my posts ever.

dontpaintyourteeth

Nor should you. Apart from this time

Vodkafone

Quote from: iamcoop on March 27, 2024, 10:15:03 PM

Joe from 65daysofstatic's board is nowhere near that big and he gets loads of wonderfully odd sounds out of it.

Goldentony

the solo is a laugh and you can see him grin each time it cuts to him while he looks the stupid cunt from ELO dead in the eyes andfartarses about doing Yngwie Malmsteen tricks and has a special man to throw him back on stage. I hate the Youtube comment reality of all the WOW JUST WOW shit too but no, I like it, it's the one version of that shite song i've heard more than once

iamcoop

It's just widdly widdly shit though isn't it? Not memorable. Prince is a great guitar player, but that solo is indulgent shite.

Goldentony

Oh yeah I agree it's ike he's practicing Santana at soundcheck but I guess that's where i'm seeing it from aswell but i'm not repulsed by it or anything, it's coming across as a bit of fun. Seeing Dhani Harrison laughing and stuff and Tom Petty and ELO and the others all stone faced while he goes unecessarily berserk for a mournful Beatles drone and fucks his guitar at people at the end.

Stoneage Dinosaurs

I don't understand criticising a guitar solo for being widdly and indulgent. It's a guitar solo, it's meant to be. If it wasn't it wouldn't exist

dontpaintyourteeth

the only good guitar solos are boredom by buzzcocks and that orange juice song that's the same solo

Ferris

Quote from: dontpaintyourteeth on April 16, 2024, 10:47:12 PMthe only good guitar solos are boredom by buzzcocks and that orange juice song that's the same solo

Wicked game by Chris Isaak.

The Culture Bunker

Quote from: dontpaintyourteeth on April 16, 2024, 10:47:12 PMthe only good guitar solos are boredom by buzzcocks and that orange juice song that's the same solo
The latter example is only a brief lead in for a sax solo - which may be a good or bad thing, depending on how you feel about the 1980s.

Ferris

Baker street by Gerry rafferty, there's another

Stoneage Dinosaurs

Quote from: Ferris on April 16, 2024, 11:01:49 PMBaker street by Gerry rafferty, there's another

ehehem I am sorry to correct you on this good sir but I believe that one is played on a saxophone!

Ferris

Quote from: Stoneage Dinosaurs on April 16, 2024, 11:22:19 PMehehem I am sorry to correct you on this good sir but I believe that one is played on a saxophone!

Not the guitar bit near the end that goes "doo-oo doo-oo doo-ooo-doo-oooooo!"

The saxophone bit goes "duh doo-doo duh-duh-dooo!"

Get it together mate.

Stoneage Dinosaurs

Quote from: Ferris on April 16, 2024, 11:58:41 PMNot the guitar bit near the end that goes "doo-oo doo-oo doo-ooo-doo-oooooo!"

The saxophone bit goes "duh doo-doo duh-duh-dooo!"

Get it together mate.

No that one was played on a saxophone too. Sorry that you can't interpret instruments correctly