Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 04:51:57 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Don't look how I had hoped....

Started by kalowski, March 25, 2024, 07:18:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

checkoutgirl

Hats are functional which some people don't seem to realise. If you are outside in the cold with the sun in your eyes, a fedora can make sense. More so if you're in a suit and wool winter coat. You might just about pull it off if you're tall enough.

If you're 5 foot eight, wearing a baggy leather jacket, oversized bumbag, indoors with terrible greasy hair, a fedora will make you look like a total bell.

Underturd

Quote from: gilbertharding on March 26, 2024, 01:07:30 PMSome days I thank goodness I started balding in my 20s, or I might still be rocking this 'do myself.

I've probably posted here before about trying to compile a list of all the men in the media who've persisted with the Britpop Moptop long past the appropriate time.

SO far I have:
Brian Cox.
Simon Reeve.
Simon Armitage.

Any more?

Brian Cox always looks like he's been eating a plate full of old greasy chips so maybe avoid that look.

AllisonSays

Every pair of trousers I ever buy that aren't slim cut black or dark grey jeans. Always the same - I'll be a new man, in these chic chinos or nice twill trousers - I look like your da, sack em off, back to the jeans. Exhausting.

dissolute ocelot

Quote from: checkoutgirl on March 26, 2024, 01:53:10 PMHats are functional which some people don't seem to realise. If you are outside in the cold with the sun in your eyes, a fedora can make sense. More so if you're in a suit and wool winter coat. You might just about pull it off if you're tall enough.

If you're 5 foot eight, wearing a baggy leather jacket, oversized bumbag, indoors with terrible greasy hair, a fedora will make you look like a total bell.

Hats are supposed to be functional but in a typical Scottish wind anything except a beanie is off your head in 5 seconds. Anything with a brim is absurd. I don't know if men in the olden days had hat pins or just a thick sticky layer of Brylcreem.

You do definitely need to dress up if you wear a hat. Baseball cap goes with t-shirt, fedora does not.

checkoutgirl

Contemporising is important too. You could be in your twenties rocking the fedora, skateboard and fanny pack and just about getting away with it. Fast forward to your mid fifties and you've put on 3 stone and you'll just look like a mental patient who just escaped from the shithead championships. And that's even if you could pull off that look in your twenties which most people couldn't and you being no exception.

gilbertharding

Quote from: Underturd on March 26, 2024, 02:05:09 PMBrian Cox always looks like he's been eating a plate full of old greasy chips so maybe avoid that look.

Well, yeah - and, like I say, it's not an option.

Underturd

I just thought it should be repeated, so anyone drawn towards looking like Brian might decide not to go that way, unless they had a thing about eating old greasy chips and saw nothing wrong with it.