Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 03:02:33 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Robocop Rogue City (robotic police officer video game) demo out.

Started by H-O-W-L, October 06, 2023, 10:42:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

H-O-W-L

It's out on Steam and probably yer digitals. Runs a bit choppily but it's good fun and seems to be broader and deeper than Terminator Resistance, the devs' last game which was quite a fun ride.

bgmnts

QuoteFor instance, the player can choose between using violence or a peaceful approach when seeking information from suspects

Always going to choose the peaceful approach when playing a ROBOCOP GAME.

Release on consoles 2nd November, result.

oggyraiding

I don't know if it'll be gimmicky. The whole gimmick of Robocop is his slow, deliberate, bipedal tank-like movement. Most good FPS games have fast movement. Having to be a slow cunt is a bold design choice. I will almost certainly buy it because of the concept, but I don't know if it'll be a good game.

Mister Six

That was my first choice. Robocop's whole thing is that he's a tank, soaking up bullets and gunning down everyone. Makes for a fun movie, but I question how well-suited it is to an FPS.

The Crumb

I reckon the way to go is to take your cues from lightgun games more than fast paced fps. Make the challenge quickly tagging fast moving enemies and prioritising threats rather than running rings around them.

From the footage it looks like the environment is quite reactive as well - lots of stuff exploding, disintegrating and throwing off effects. Makes it look a bit more dynamic even with the slower pace.

bgmnts

Quote from: The Crumb on October 07, 2023, 01:05:02 AMI reckon the way to go is to take your cues from lightgun games more than fast paced fps. Make the challenge quickly tagging fast moving enemies and prioritising threats rather than running rings around them.

My initial thought. A time crisis or resident evil chronicles style game.

H-O-W-L

As I said in the OP, there's a demo out so none of you have any excuse not knowing how it plays! It's the first three hours of the game, too, which is kind of shocking. It's the whole intro combat level and then the first hub.

The answer is that it plays quite well - you're slower than the average FPS protag, but more durable to sustained fire. But enemies themselves can have higher-caliber weapons, or armor, or lob grenades/shoot at gas tanks and stuff, so you have to be constantly moving and sort of have to pick your targets carefully and wisely. Guys with pistols are little bother, SMGs are a worry, and rifles must be dropped ASAP. Grenade-lobbers have to be shot down as they throw, and if a grenade lands at your feet you really have to start dashing into enemy fire to avoid it, because an explosion (on Hard at least) can take you down to 20% HP in a blink.

Also, shooting someone in the dick is a valid tactic, especially on guys that wear helmets. And yes, they do react to it. RoboCop CockShot is an actual mechanic. God bless.

The tone seems to be there. The dialogue writing is spotty and the voice acting is almost laughably bad but the actual satirical elements are there, and the developers clearly love and appreciate the filum (I don't say filums because Robocop 2 seems to be non-canonized, as this appears to be the introduction of the drug Nuke) for what it is. It drips with charm and care in a world of plastic and soulless tie-in dreck. Compared to something like that dire TERFcunt Hogwarts game, which despite all the hype seemed utterly soulless even for a Harry Potter game, or say, Avengers, it's kind of stunning how much care was put into such an old and frankly dead IP here. Not to shit on Robocop, but it hasn't had any good installments since 2, and even that's in the eye of the beholder (I hate R2 for undoing Murphy's humanity; which this game seems to want to lean into hard).

The Crumb

Couldn't find demo on xbox so I will continue to speculate mildly.

jfjnpxmy

It was very Robocoppy, and I had a little twinge of nostalgia when ol' Basil P started blaring and the Auto-9 started giving it BRUDDADUM but that was fucking shite lads. Proper 2000s console stuff, walking down bland corridors while the same three cunts popped out to get cockshot again and again.

H-O-W-L

Quote from: jfjnpxmy on October 09, 2023, 04:16:00 PMIt was very Robocoppy, and I had a little twinge of nostalgia when ol' Basil P started blaring and the Auto-9 started giving it BRUDDADUM but that was fucking shite lads. Proper 2000s console stuff, walking down bland corridors while the same three cunts popped out to get cockshot again and again.

Stick with it past the intro tower-fight. The relatively open world stuff that comes after is where the meat of the game lies I feel.

bgmnts

Probably is mental but why can't rockstar or rocksteady or whatever just create their game and just chuck a Robocop skin over it?

All I want is a (good) open world where I can run around as Robocop, or Predator, or Alien or Terminator whatever and just kill bastards. Surely Rockstar can get the license for those.

madhair60

bgmnts

I did like that game!

They tried also with Predator: Concrete Jungle, but it wasn't quite right. They got Batman right but fuck that I want GTA 80s sci-fi IP.

El Unicornio, mang

Quote from: bgmnts on October 11, 2023, 03:10:39 PMProbably is mental but why can't rockstar or rocksteady or whatever just create their game and just chuck a Robocop skin over it?

All I want is a (good) open world where I can run around as Robocop, or Predator, or Alien or Terminator whatever and just kill bastards. Surely Rockstar can get the license for those.

Easy enough if you do PC gaming

Ham Bap

This looks a million times better than the Robocop game I played on Spectrum and Amstrad.

£30 and it would be an instant buy.
I suppose it's 'only' £45 now and the price difference is a £15 bottle of vodka I buy every other week.

Still, a wee Black Friday price drop and this will be a purchase.
Saying that i'll probably buy this to myself just before Christmas no matter what happens with the price.

bgmnts

No fucking about with this by the way. 10 seconds after the opening cutscene and the Robocop theme kicks in as you gun down mohawked mooks.

bgmnts

Game's a bit deeper than I expected. Shooting twats whilst lumbering about us fun, and the devs were no fools, as there is mercifully a sprint button.

Thursday

Alan Wake 2 complete, so now I've ordered this. 40% off the steam version at CD Keys

H-O-W-L

I beat it yesterday but I am already itching to replay it on a harder difficulty and make some different choices. Honestly a genuinely fun shooty-gallery as well as a well-made Robocop game. Pleasant surprise of the year really.

bgmnts

Completed it yesterday????

Be gutted if I've paid full price for a 6 hour game!

H-O-W-L

Quote from: bgmnts on November 04, 2023, 01:15:34 PMCompleted it yesterday????

Be gutted if I've paid full price for a 6 hour game!

It's about 13 hours. I played very fast (two sittings) on Normal difficulty and did most, but not all, side objectives. I also missed some content for sure. There's replayability too in that the endings are determined by who you befriend and who you don't, not just what you choose at the end. That, and it is impossible to max out or even properly invest into more than one skill tree -- which unlocks dialogue options and choices -- in one run, much like Terminator Resistance. So there's replayability there.

There's a few gameplay abilities I didn't even unlock and will be looking toward doing. Also achievements that look actually interesting.

If you play it at a leisurely pace I can easily see about 15~ hours in a first run. I sort of rushed it (regrettably) because I've got a lot on this week.

bgmnts

Bit crap really. Really low budget seeming and just plodded along. Quite buggy at times as well. Would recommend this for 20 quid I'd say.

Weird decision to make the Auto 9 the shittest weapon in any game I've ever played, considering how iconic it is.

Getting a bit alarmed at how it's being called an underrated gem masterpiece etc. Same with Wake II. Wonder if perhaps what constitutes a good video game is passing me by.

Swoz_MK

Quote from: bgmnts on November 19, 2023, 11:14:16 AMWeird decision to make the Auto 9 the shittest weapon in any game I've ever played, considering how iconic it is.

When upgraded (I think I stuck with board 4.2) it was dropping
Spoiler alert
ED-209s
[close]
with ease and I did't use anything else.

Thursday

I didn't really understand upgrading it, put some things on it, but the end of them game was an interminable slog.

oggyraiding

The PCB with the unlimited magazine is fairly game breaking.

I enjoy the feeling of power you have once you've upgraded stuff a bit. Shield on, dash into crowd, shockwave, fire wildly and create lots of red mist.

The psychological bits I'm not a fan of. Like the bit in the mall where you're in a repeating loop while hearing your family's voices. I suppose it's fine from a story angle, but I would much rather be killing scumbags than experiencing Murphy's inner turmoil.

Brass Moustache

Quote from: Mister Six on October 06, 2023, 09:32:14 PMThat was my first choice. Robocop's whole thing is that he's a tank, soaking up bullets and gunning down everyone. Makes for a fun movie, but I question how well-suited it is to an FPS.
i always wondered why the bad guys never aimed for the exposed bit of face between his visor and chin