Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 03:40:01 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Best Games in the Last Five Years.

Started by AngryGazelle, October 07, 2023, 09:58:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Utter Shit

Red Dead Redemption 2
Just existing in that world was a massive eye-opener for me, I hadn't played a game that I was invested in to that extent since probably the original FF7 in the late 90s. Everything about this game is so beautiful, and well-realised. The story is incredible as well. I know people often complain about the mechanics, but I didn't really notice any issues in that regard. Total immersion.

Football Manager 20XX
The amount of hours I pile into this each year is mad. It's still so addictive, so engaging, such incredible value because every game is different...I know it feels quite dated now, and the big upgrade for FM25 is long overdue, but it's still a fantastic game.

Memorex MP3

Quote from: Mister Six on October 09, 2023, 02:14:37 AMI'm almost afraid to ask, but... why?
It's a detective game, there's quite a lot of fairly complicated cross referencing of clues that is genius but also means you basically burn the answers to the more complicated bits into your brain.

There's a couple of especially hard ones I doubt I'll ever be far enough removed from to not remember the solutions to

Mister Six

Quote from: Memorex MP3 on October 09, 2023, 11:49:48 AMIt's a detective game, there's quite a lot of fairly complicated cross referencing of clues that is genius but also means you basically burn the answers to the more complicated bits into your brain.

There's a couple of especially hard ones I doubt I'll ever be far enough removed from to not remember the solutions to

Oh thank goodness, I thought you had some horrible disease.

AngryGazelle

I've started replaying Hades, and it still holds up. Fucking fantastic game, made by a team of around 20 people!

So addictive and so much fun. The story works in perfect harmony with the mechanics, the music and voice acting are top tier, and the graphics are gorgeous. Really hard to find a fault with this one.

chutnut

My favs have been:

Sekiro - Still replay it every year or so
Returnal
Immortality
Control
Elden Ring
Alan Wake 2

Which are also pretty much my favourite games full stop, the only older games that would be on there are the Dark Souls (not 2) and Bloodborne

Pink Gregory

I'm still thinking very fondly of Tunic, you know.  Quite derivative of other games, but it felt special.

QRDL

Quote from: Memorex MP3 on October 08, 2023, 10:03:18 PMI definitely preferred Obra Dinn but Golden Idol has the potential to be absolutely massive with spin offs (despite feeling like the hackathon version of Obra Dinn) if it gets to a wider audience.

It's a massive bummer I probably will get to play Obra Dinn at most once more in my life, am very happy Golden Idol has streamlined the best bits while retaining most of the appeal.

I've just finished half-watching a playthrough on YT and am happy to inform that I've already forgotten most of the answers. About 10 names I will probably never forget, but the most difficult ones? I only remember that I struggled with them the most, but not the ultimate answer. I think in 2-3 years I'll be ready to replay.

Ah, and one more thing I will never forget is the clue I failed to notice and which was crucial for identifying the Chinese fellas (you know which one).

As for my list of games:
- Return of the Obra Dinn
- Outer Wilds
- The Case of the Golden Idol
- The Excavation of Hob's Barrow
- The Talos Principle 2
- Chants of Sennaar (this is a stand-in for Heaven's Vault which was even more promising, but I had to put it down and will get back to it in the future, no doubt)
- Rogue Legacy 2
- Ion Fury
- Doom Eternal (it's great, but it's really a stand-in for Shadow Warrior 2 from 2016)
- Control
- Psychonauts 2 (thanks for reminding me)
- Ape Out

The ones I haven't played yet, but I bet they'd get on this list: Cyberpunk 2077, Half-Life: Alyx (I will have to get the dust of my Vive this Christmas), Elden Ring, Hades, Void Bastards, that recent Zelda.