Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 06:04:32 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Sean O'Hagan / High Llamas new single and interview

Started by Retinend, June 19, 2020, 02:41:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Head Gardener

New page , hurrah! I just got a promo of Hey Panda in my emails earlier and am loving it's gentle fuzziness this afternoon with a head cold.
Dunno if I posted this before (I can't remember I'm under the weather) but I had a session with them in 2011 and it's here,  THL session mix
hope you enjoy.

Retinend

Quote from: tolecnal on March 12, 2024, 02:47:10 PMLooks like Drag City will be re-issuing all the old Llamas albums soon, beginning with Hawaii and Gideon Gaye. In the latest SHINDIG!.

Excellent, I hope they'll tour again. Can't believe it's been seven years since they last played live as a full band.

As mentioned earlier, Sean was at one point stating his wish to reissue all the albums, do a final tour and then wrap the band up for good, but that was a long time ago and considering he's now putting out material under the Llamas name again, I wonder if his feelings have changed since then.

Really looking forward to the Microdisney doc as well, it's apparently been in the works for ages and has gone down really well with those who've had a chance to see it.

https://www.rte.ie/entertainment/2024/0314/1437812-new-microdisney-film-is-raw-and-tinged-with-sadness

tolecnal

Quote from: Ron Maels Moustache on March 15, 2024, 07:58:37 AMExcellent, I hope they'll tour again. Can't believe it's been seven years since they last played live as a full band.

As mentioned earlier, Sean was at one point stating his wish to reissue all the albums, do a final tour and then wrap the band up for good, but that was a long time ago and considering he's now putting out material under the Llamas name again, I wonder if his feelings have changed since then.

Really looking forward to the Microdisney doc as well, it's apparently been in the works for ages and has gone down really well with those who've had a chance to see it.

https://www.rte.ie/entertainment/2024/0314/1437812-new-microdisney-film-is-raw-and-tinged-with-sadness
I wonder if he was contemplating quitting due to feeling under-appreciated/misunderstood. I read a lot of his interviews and he seemed to feel personally slighted by a lot of critics for several reasons, mostly reducing his compositions to Beach Boys rip-offs. I could tell it bothered him.

It seems like he's got a pretty good thing going, despite not being a mainstream or household name. He arranges for tons of different acts and Drag City seems to release anything he does even if it's as slight as Here Come the Rattling Trees. I personally think he's one of the best, most consistent artists I follow. He's rarely let me down. I really like the sounds and styles he works with.

Each High Llamas album is actually quite a bit different from the last so I can understand why he's frustrated with the lazy writing around his career and influences.

Quote from: tolecnal on March 15, 2024, 12:42:41 PMI wonder if he was contemplating quitting due to feeling under-appreciated/misunderstood. I read a lot of his interviews and he seemed to feel personally slighted by a lot of critics for several reasons, mostly reducing his compositions to Beach Boys rip-offs. I could tell it bothered him.

It seems like he's got a pretty good thing going, despite not being a mainstream or household name. He arranges for tons of different acts and Drag City seems to release anything he does even if it's as slight as Here Come the Rattling Trees. I personally think he's one of the best, most consistent artists I follow. He's rarely let me down. I really like the sounds and styles he works with.

Each High Llamas album is actually quite a bit different from the last so I can understand why he's frustrated with the lazy writing around his career and influences.

I think it was partly that he was disillusioned about the lack of interest in HCTRT from the theatre community (I think he was hoping it would be picked up take on a life of it's own outside the band) and financial difficulties in keeping the Llamas as a going concern. Presumably at the time it was easier for him to do solo shows or with just a handful of musicians rather than the entire band.

Riley & Coe Session from last night on Sounds:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m001wy2w

tolecnal

The new album is out today. It's easily the most experimental and different Llamas album. Whether it endures like the classics is anybody's guess. I'm not entirely sure what to make of it. I'm surprised it's reviewing well because a lot of it is hard to parse on one or two listens - lots of off-kilter time and key changes, repetitive lyrics and auto-tune. The Will Oldham tracks are quite different too. I think it's great Sean is so interested in and inspired by contemporary pop music rather than falling back into his comfort zone as an older musician.

Neomod

When I first heard about the direction of the album I was slightly worried it would be a novelty record. Middle aged white man with autotune makes RnB lite. Something you mess about with in the studio but really should stay in the studio, e.g. my reggae cover of Kraftwerk's The Model.

But on first listen, for me it works.

*Plans reggae krautrock ep*

Beautiful sunny day here, I will be giving this a good old listen as I work in the garden

tolecnal

Quote from: Neomod on March 29, 2024, 01:36:16 PMWhen I first heard about the direction of the album I was slightly worried it would be a novelty record. Middle aged white man with autotune makes RnB lite. Something you mess about with in the studio but really should stay in the studio, e.g. my reggae cover of Kraftwerk's The Model.

But on first listen, for me it works.

*Plans reggae krautrock ep*

it seems like Sean generally and genuinely really appreciates and understands how music is composed and has a ton of respect for his fellow musicians. It's an odd album but it still sounds like the Llamas, just a bit weird and modified.

This is so good, been listening to it all day. Beautiful vibes 🌞

Really good interview with Sean on the Rock's Backpages Podcast, talking about Microdisney, Beach Boys, new Llamas record. What a lovely bloke.
https://www.rocksbackpages.com/Podcast/Episode/e174

Brundle-Fly

His 2019 solo endeavour Radum Calls is gorgeous too, I must hasten to add.

Neomod

Quote from: extraordinary walnuts on April 07, 2024, 12:33:00 AMReally good interview with Sean on the Rock's Backpages Podcast, talking about Microdisney, Beach Boys, new Llamas record. What a lovely bloke.

Lovely stuff.

I was aware of the failed Beach Boys collaboration back in the day but it was interesting to hear the details.

Retinend

Quote from: extraordinary walnuts on April 07, 2024, 12:33:00 AMReally good interview with Sean on the Rock's Backpages Podcast, talking about Microdisney, Beach Boys, new Llamas record. What a lovely bloke.

It's a podcast! Even better. Thanks for letting us know.

tolecnal

I love that his daughter's his main backing vocalist now. She's got a really nice voice. Who were the vocalists on Can Cladders? They were really good too.