Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 08:06:34 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The Adam Buxton Podcast Thread II: You're MAI WAIF now

Started by Phil_A, March 05, 2021, 11:37:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DJ Bob Hoskins

Quote from: thr0b on March 20, 2024, 11:06:00 PMIt was/is all on 4OD/All4/Channel 4, whatever it's called this week.

Oh, nice! I really need to sign up for a VPN so I can access this kind of thing (+ BBC iPlayer etc) from outside the UK.

idunnosomename

The Star Wars figure TV parodies really are incredible lightning in bottle stuff. Chew've Been Framed and TFI particularly. Using stuff from their childhood to skewer contemporary shallow television. Anything similar these days? Using Disney Infinity figures to make fun of "HEY GUYS WHATS UP SMASH THAT LIKE BUTTON, SUBSCRIBE AND RING THAT BELL" crap?

"Wow! That stool appeared out of nowhere! Just like our next clip..."

Mobbd

Since we're into this beautiful nitty-gritty, let me bring up something that's been deeply, deeply troubling me since 2006.

I loved A&J so much and I watched my off-air tapes over and over. I could quote so much of it and probably still can to an extent.

In Chew Wants to Be a Millionaire, Yoda says (I believe) "Too much is the tension, to the lavvy must I go." But on the DVD the line is slightly different ("to the toilet" must I go or something like that). When I first saw the DVD I was flummoxed. It was a record scratch moment. My Mandela Effect.

Like other Mandela Effect idiots, am I just mistaken? Does anyone else remember that line on broadcast?

Mobbd

Never mind. Solved it. The clip on YouTube must be off-air because Yoda says Lavvy. Wonder why they changed it for the DVD?

Watch the film though, guys. Everything--everything--about it is wonderful. All of Adam's Chris Tyrant stuff is spectacular.

People in the comments seem to like the lavvy line and also "you jammy shit," which is also a fave to me. Everything's good though. Little details like the back of the Tauntaun's head in the audience.

"Oh, it's Man, oh, man, I love that show" and "you can buy us a coupla jar-jar binks for a start." Just perfection.

thr0b

Quote from: idunnosomename on March 21, 2024, 12:43:59 AMThe Star Wars figure TV parodies really are incredible lightning in bottle stuff. Chew've Been Framed and TFI particularly. Using stuff from their childhood to skewer contemporary shallow television. Anything similar these days? Using Disney Infinity figures to make fun of "HEY GUYS WHATS UP SMASH THAT LIKE BUTTON, SUBSCRIBE AND RING THAT BELL" crap?

"Wow! That stool appeared out of nowhere! Just like our next clip..."

Robot Chicken takes what Adam & Joe do and extends it.

madhair60

extends it like a fat log of greasy shit extends out of my vile anus

madhair60

The Culture Bunker

I think 'The Toy Patient' was their finest moment.

"Map me, you brute!"

idunnosomename

Robot Chicken is just absurdist pop culture mash up though, like Family Guy cutaways. I cant pretend that remembering Star Wars makes them funny, but the substance of it was sending up light entertainment (why The Imperial Family was the weakest).

Funniest bit for me is Chewie going "oh look for fuck's sake!" Class saving up the f word for a big laugh.

Wonder if he meant to sound like Peter Mayhew. Dont know when these rushes were first made public (second ESB one particularly)

Mobbd

Quote from: The Culture Bunker on March 21, 2024, 01:11:50 PMI think 'The Toy Patient' was their finest moment.

"Map me, you brute!"

Haha, yes!

But I will always love "Toytanic was called the ship of dreams, but to me it was the ship of shit."

phes

despite being a long time fan of Adam (+J), I only learned from the Theroux/Buxton latest of 'Would you two purile cunts shut up and play some music'

Magnificent

Mobbd

Quote from: phes on March 21, 2024, 06:02:52 PMdespite being a long time fan of Adam (+J), I only learned from the Theroux/Buxton latest of 'Would you two purile cunts shut up and play some music'

Magnificent

Come again?

Pranet

Listen to the Theroux podcast with Adam, it is a story about them falling out during an XFM show. Though he has told it in more detail somewhere else in one of his many podcast appearances, don't know if it was one of his own or when he was on another podcast.

Mobbd

Quote from: Pranet on March 21, 2024, 09:31:58 PMListen to the Theroux podcast with Adam, it is a story about them falling out during an XFM show. Though he has told it in more detail somewhere else in one of his many podcast appearances, don't know if it was one of his own or when he was on another podcast.

Aha. I am caught up now. That was great. Some exquisite inside baseball. Genuinely enjoyable.

Lou's impression of himself sounds even more like himself that his normal voice does, which shouldn't be possible really.

Ferris

The fifteen seconds or so of him talking about doing impressions for his book really made me laugh. He's a master of the dry delivery when he wants to be.

Mobbd

And that bit where Adam abruptly asks him when he'll go back to doing funny stuff! Lou's little performance after that was splendiferous.

damien

The whole 'host-read' chunk was freakin hilarious.

Adam is the guest on the next Radio Times podcast.

Quote from: Mobbd on March 22, 2024, 09:28:13 PMAnd that bit where Adam abruptly asks him when he'll go back to doing funny stuff! Lou's little performance after that was splendiferous.

Someone emailed me this bit of today's Daily Telegraph concise crossword. Arf!
(First three solutions.)

gilbertharding

Quote from: Maureen Brontë on March 27, 2024, 03:41:42 PMSomeone emailed me this bit of today's Daily Telegraph concise crossword. Arf!
(First three solutions.)

Bog Ether Rue? What am I looking at here?

#edit# OK - I have it now. Sorry.

bobloblaw

"I can't imagine doing anything else other than podcasting, but that might change"

interview with Buckles chatting about the freedom he gets to do his own ads for Squarespace et al

https://www.thedrum.com/news/2024/03/27/lovingly-crafted-homemade-advertising-adam-buxton-s-podcasting-secret

paddy72

Found this Fenton bloke quite dull. Plus he has the intensely annoying habit of turning t into d. 'The eighdees, realidee'. Christ.

PlanktonSideburns

AllisonSays

Quote from: Pranet on March 21, 2024, 09:31:58 PMListen to the Theroux podcast with Adam, it is a story about them falling out during an XFM show. Though he has told it in more detail somewhere else in one of his many podcast appearances, don't know if it was one of his own or when he was on another podcast.

I thought AB was very reflective about his culture wars anxiety in this one in a way that made me sympathise with him more than I usually do.