Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 09:15:59 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Sport films thread

Started by rjd2, April 29, 2022, 04:27:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kalowski

Quote from: dissolute ocelot on April 29, 2022, 11:45:24 PMOn the other hand, Raging Bull is clearly made by someone who hates sports...
And Scorsese made it as if it was the last film he'd ever make, so threw every cinematic trick he could think of into it.
Pretty sure every fight is filmed in a different way.

DrGreggles

Draft Day is fun.
Complete nonsense, but entertaining.

finnquark

The Club is an entertaining enough Aussie Rules film.

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

Karate Kid
Point Break
Pumping Iron

studpuppet

Two wildly different stadium films:

Two Minute Warning

The Arsenal Stadium Mystery

Old Thrashbarg

This Sporting Life is up there with the best sports-based films. It's been a long time since I've watched it actually. Doesn't seem to be on any streaming services, but is on YouTube: https://youtu.be/J9KOD8WNb6I

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on May 03, 2022, 03:43:06 PMWith baseball, there's a lot of stuff round it which makes it easy to make a decent movie. The team coming together, or falling apart. Evil owners. Colourful crowd members. Personalities. Highlight reel plays.
You can get all that sort of thing with boxing and the like. Not to mention that the immediate stakes are a lot higher. An underdog boxer risks getting their brains turned to jelly. What's the worst thing that's likely to happen in baseball? "You can't step up to the plate! They're too good at throwing!!!"

EOLAN

Also on Baseball. It a stop-start sport that is relatively easier to edit around the action shots. Something which a lot of football and American football films fall down on.

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

Is there a baseball film about them taking loads of steroids and their willies shrinking?

mr. logic

Celtic Pride was a bit of a childhood favourite. Probably terrible though.

badaids

Would love to see a film about Versus to be honest.

studpuppet

Rolf Lundgren

Watched Goal II: Living the Dream recently which has to be the only sports film where the final winning moment is clinched by a character who hasn't even had a single line in the film (David Beckham as himself).

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on April 29, 2022, 06:47:42 PMI've only seen a small snippet of it ages ago, but Lagaan is supposed to be good. It's about an Indian village taking on their British oppressors in a game of cricket.

It's easily one of the best Bollywood films that I've seen, and I normally find cricket extremely tedious.