Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 07:25:51 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Renting UHD discs

Started by Cuntbeaks, March 23, 2024, 09:53:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cuntbeaks

I find the price of new 4k UHD discs pretty unpalatable and given I'll probably only watch the majority of stuff once or twice, I would welcome the option to hire as opposed to buying.

There is Cinema Paradiso, but the reviews for the service are pretty poor, so I don't think I'll be signing up.

I know second hand or waiting until new stuff drops in price is an option, but is there anything else out there that's reliable with a decent range of titles?

non capisco

I've never had any problems with Cinema Paradiso, fwiw. They seem to have practically everything available in their catalogue and are better than Lovefilm used to be in terms of sending you the titles that are on your priority list. What are the poor service reviews based on, out of interest?

Cuntbeaks

A good number of people claiming to have been charged for rentals they never received and just general unreliability.

Trust Pilot reviews

However, given your experience I'm tempted to sign up for a month anyway and see what happens.

dissolute ocelot

Yeah I've found Cinema Paradiso generally good. Lots of discs in their library, mostly doesn't take long to get the top of your list. Occasional dodgy discs that won't play but they handle it fine. Never had one go missing. But post varies and obviously if your other mail never turns up or is always getting stolen, probably less good.

I guess the only real alternative is second hand and reselling.

crankshaft

Quote from: Cuntbeaks on March 23, 2024, 09:53:46 PMI find the price of new 4k UHD discs pretty unpalatable and given I'll probably only watch the majority of stuff once or twice, I would welcome the option to hire as opposed to buying.

There is Cinema Paradiso, but the reviews for the service are pretty poor, so I don't think I'll be signing up.

I know second hand or waiting until new stuff drops in price is an option, but is there anything else out there that's reliable with a decent range of titles?

I've been using Cinema Paradiso for years with no issues whatsoever. On the rare occasion there's been a faulty disc they've replaced it immediately. So I'd take those reviews with a very large pinch of salt.

Cinema Paradiso have always been fine for me too, I've been using them for years. Absolutely legit company and they've always sorted things out without any fuss on the rare occasions that there have been issues.

Menu

Yep I can also vouch for Cinema Paradiso. They're a lifesaver as, like the OP, I couldn't justify the cost of buying every UHD bluray that I want. I'm in a constant state of anxiety that they might go out of business so do please sign up to them.

Because of Cinema Paradiso I've been able to work my way through Bergman, Fellini, Lang, Hitchcock, Tarkovsky, Scorsese etc etc. An amazing service.

greenman

I tend to rewatch films quite a lot so buying makes more sense but I have considered Cinema Paradiso in the past for more one and done stuff.

I'm supprised actually nobody has tried to relaunch a highstreet rental place given that UHD disks and a lot of boutique labels like Crtierion look like they will always remain relatively expensive. Obviously not the market for anything big .like Blockbusters but you'd think in a few big cities a shop or two might work.