Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 12:38:25 PM

Login with username, password and session length

What books did you get for Christmas?

Started by Fambo Number Mive, December 25, 2023, 09:49:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fambo Number Mive

I got a lovely book called The Owl Book by Jackie Morris, published by Graffeg. All about owls - types of owl, the owl in myth and legend, how the owl turns its head - with lots of lovely owl pictures. One of the nicest books I've ever read.

Also Dennis Lehane's Small Mercies and Chuck Hogan's Gangland. Working my way through Lehane's book, it's really good

PlanktonSideburns

I got one in really pumped for, picture book called Seance, by Shannon Taggart, photos taken at modern day séances, bit of history of victorian spiritualist stuff

dontpaintyourteeth

new Knausgaard
Greil Marcus Bob Dylan thing
Sly Stone autobiography

PlanktonSideburns

Oh, just noticed dan Aykroyd did the foreword on the seance book

Neomod

Two Taschen 40th Anniversary's. One on Basquiat, the other on the Case Study Houses (1945 - 1966). Some lovely mid century architecture.

Le Gainsbook - A large format beauty and document of every studio recording by Serge G. It's in French and so will act as a language course an all.

The Observer Book of Architecture. Another for the Observer collection.

Maurice Yeatman

Weird Walk, a book about Britain's sacred sites and how to get to them. Foreword by Stewart so-called Lee.

GoblinAhFuckScary

Magnum Valentino

Life?...And Napalm Death by Shane Embury
The Fight by Norman Mailer
Close to Home by Michael Magee
Topographica Hibernica by Blindboy Boatclub

And a lovely wee floppy hardback (wait, that not right, a harder-than-standard paperback) about Tolkien monsters from my wife (like a wee holy book, floppy fake leather basically, it's lovely!)

djtrees

Quote from: Maurice Yeatman on December 26, 2023, 01:22:43 AMWeird Walk, a book about Britain's sacred sites and how to get to them. Foreword by Stewart so-called Lee.
I got this as well. Pretty nice thing. Got a Waterstones voucher so will be popping in there to pick something exciting.

Keebleman

Tune In - Mark Lewisohn
Retroland - Peter Kemp
Going Infinite - Michael Lewis

Norton Canes

Quote from: Maurice Yeatman on December 26, 2023, 01:22:43 AMWeird Walk, a book about Britain's sacred sites and how to get to them

Was in a shop in Keswick yesterday where I bought three editions of the zine. Good stuff, must order the others - and the book.

AzureSky

Every Man For Himself And God Against All - Werner Herzog. I'm 60 pages in at the moment and I could take it or leave it, it's quite underwhelming (as a fan of Herzog). I hope it picks up.

Big Beacon, AP book

magister

Naked and the Dead by Norman Mailer.

The Bamboo Blonde by Dorothy Hughes

For One Week Only by Ric Myers (collection of reviews of exploitation films)

Two Against the Underworld (book on the 60's TV series The Avengers)

Also Miriam Margolyes autobiography, the new Hercule Poirot novel, Burnt Offerings (a 70's horror novel filmed with Ollie Reed and,Bette Davis), The Killer (also 70's pulp horror- 6 people marooned on an iceberg, being hunted by a giant killer whale)

NattyDread 2

Quote from: dontpaintyourteeth on December 25, 2023, 10:12:03 PMSly Stone autobiography

Forgot this was out. Must get it with some xmas cash.

I got the new Liz Lochhead collected and Michael Magee - Close to Home

Fambo Number Mive

Quote from: magister on December 29, 2023, 09:26:54 PMNaked and the Dead by Norman Mailer.

The Bamboo Blonde by Dorothy Hughes

For One Week Only by Ric Myers (collection of reviews of exploitation films)

Two Against the Underworld (book on the 60's TV series The Avengers)

Also Miriam Margolyes autobiography, the new Hercule Poirot novel, Burnt Offerings (a 70's horror novel filmed with Ollie Reed and,Bette Davis), The Killer (also 70's pulp horror- 6 people marooned on an iceberg, being hunted by a giant killer whale)

Who wrote The Killer? It sounds an intriguing read.

wrec

Quote from: dontpaintyourteeth on December 25, 2023, 10:12:03 PMnew Knausgaard
Greil Marcus Bob Dylan thing
Sly Stone autobiography

Loved the Knausgaard. Sly seems heavily ghostwritten but enjoyable.

I got Le Carré's complete (except the last one) George Smiley novels. Hoping he has to awkwardly attend a rave in the 1990 one.

magister

Quote from: Fambo Number Mive on December 30, 2023, 08:04:39 PMWho wrote The Killer? It sounds an intriguing read.

Peter Tonkin. I'm going through a phase of reading 70's pulp horror stuff and this looked like it might hit the spot.

holyzombiejesus

Quote from: PlanktonSideburns on December 25, 2023, 09:55:45 PMI got one in really pumped for, picture book called Seance, by Shannon Taggart, photos taken at modern day séances, bit of history of victorian spiritualist stuff

That looks ace, just ordered it. Also ordered this

and received the Candy, Andy & The Bearandas book, Black country Type photography book by Tom Hicks (see below)

and The Wager by Tom Grann.

Glebe

Dave Grohl's The Storyteller from me wonderful Sister.

PlanktonSideburns

Quote from: holyzombiejesus on December 31, 2023, 01:13:37 PMThat looks ace, just ordered it. Also ordered this

and received the Candy, Andy & The Bearandas book, Black country Type photography book by Tom Hicks (see below)

and The Wager by Tom Grann.

Yea the Shannon Taggart one is turning out ace so far

dontpaintyourteeth

Red82

Quote from: AzureSky on December 29, 2023, 08:53:25 PMEvery Man For Himself And God Against All - Werner Herzog. I'm 60 pages in at the moment and I could take it or leave it, it's quite underwhelming (as a fan of Herzog). I hope it picks up.

Big Beacon, AP book

I didn't know you were a Herzog fan?  Stroszek takes some beating as his best film.

turnstyle

Got Thurston Moore's autobiography. Looking forward to getting stuck in, but I'm still #TeamKim even if if used to skip most of her songs.

Ferris

Joe Sacco's new(ish) one, Paying the Land.

The thorny and complex story of resource extraction in Canada's northern territories and the relationship between government, large business, and the First Nations who live in the North. Features Sacco's usual eye for nuance, humour, and narrative.

It's good.

Mr Banlon

Terrortome and Incarcerat by Garth Marenghi
Temple of the Golden Pavillion by Yukio Mishima
The Heat's On by Chester Himes
New Cunts

Red82

Quote from: Mr Banlon on January 04, 2024, 10:06:46 PMTerrortome and Incarcerat by Garth Marenghi
Temple of the Golden Pavillion by Yukio Mishima
The Heat's On by Chester Himes
New Cunts

I haven't read that particular Mishima book. I'd be interested in hearing how you get on with it.

Zero Gravitas

If We Burn By Vincent Bevins
Cyclonopedia by Reza Negarestani

That was it.

notjosh

Elements of Eloquence by Mark Forsyth, bout how to write good.

Never Grow Up - Jackie Chan's second autobiography, covering the Rush Hour years and beyond.

The Ministry for the Future by Kim Stanley Robinson which I think is about some kind of futuristic Doom Watch type department which goes a bit Extinction Rebellion. Barack Obama liked it, for whatever that's worth.

Belong: Find Your People, Create Community, and Live a More Connected Life by Radha Agrawal. Can't remember what prompted me to add this to my wishlist, but my mum bought it for me anyway and it looks nice enough.

Nature and the Human Soul: Cultivating Wholeness in a Fragmented World by Bill Plotkin. I think when I added this to my list I thought this was gonna be something about how the human brain evolved in a world of hunter-gatherers, and how there might be simple, practical ways to tap into the basic pleasures of that existence to combat the ennui of the modern urbanised world, but after flicking through it seems to be a bunch of vague spiritual bollocks by someone who sounds a bit like a cult leader.

QuoteBill Plotkin, Ph.D., is a depth psychologist, cultural visionary and wilderness guide who has been blazing trails to nature and soul for many moons. His ecocentric re-visioning of psychology invites us into a conscious embodied relationship with our original wholeness so we may commit ourselves to the largest, soul-infused story we're capable of living to serve the greater Earth community. He dwells in the wilds of southwestern Colorado.