Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 10:06:49 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Civ games [split topic]

Started by druss, March 15, 2024, 11:59:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pink Gregory

VI is a better game than V, undoubtably especially since V needed two expansions to feel like a complete game.  Couldn't see myself going back to it.

druss

I'll give it another go once I'm done with my current game then, I think I have less than an hour logged which isn't anywhere near enough to give it a fair shot.

king_tubby

Civ IV Dawn of Civilisation mod is the only one I play now.

druss

This game is an absolute travesty. I have an isolated start and I have been using slavery too much so everyone is unhappy and my cities are tiny. This would usually be a restart but I have said I will persevere so will see what happens. Definitely looking like I'll have to aim for a cultural victory as I don't have a single happiness resource so I will be way behind on technology when I do eventually bump into someone.

ros vulgaris

It's probably superficial but I couldn't look past the graphics style of Civ VI. It looked like an android game.

shoulders

Pink Gregory

Quote from: ros vulgaris on March 20, 2024, 06:19:26 PMIt's probably superficial but I couldn't look past the graphics style of Civ VI. It looked like an android game.

it doesn't really look like anything.  At least Civ V had that art deco thing going on.

ros vulgaris

All I ever wanted was canal building and the Elvis weirdo from Civ II.

Mr Trumpet

I think II was probably my favourite, but at this point I've sunk many many hours into VI. Wish you could disable the World Congress though, I don't like/understand that mechanic.

Anyone use any decent mods? I have one that reworks the governors, gives more options while making them generic (so you haven't got a Tibetan Buddhist monk holding public office in your Zulu empire). Also one that adds loads more religions, so you can be a Mormon or a Norse pagan or whatever.

MojoJojo

Quote from: druss on March 20, 2024, 01:30:53 PMThis game is an absolute travesty. I have an isolated start and I have been using slavery too much so everyone is unhappy and my cities are tiny. This would usually be a restart but I have said I will persevere so will see what happens. Definitely looking like I'll have to aim for a cultural victory as I don't have a single happiness resource so I will be way behind on technology when I do eventually bump into someone.

Ummm, it's ages since I played but doesn't slavery help with unhappiness? You get unhappy people when a city grows beyond a certain size (which you can increase with buildings and stuff). Slavery "converts" population into resources to complete what you're building. So you whip away your sad, unproductive population to complete units and buildings and stuff. It's good early game when you can't support many happy citizens.

There's also some efficiency/exploit about whipping when there is exactly the right amount of resources needed to complete that felt a bit like cheating but I can't remember how that worked.

falafel

Quote from: Mr Trumpet on March 24, 2024, 09:23:59 AMI think II was probably my favourite, but at this point I've sunk many many hours into VI. Wish you could disable the World Congress though, I don't like/understand that mechanic.

Anyone use any decent mods? I have one that reworks the governors, gives more options while making them generic (so you haven't got a Tibetan Buddhist monk holding public office in your Zulu empire). Also one that adds loads more religions, so you can be a Mormon or a Norse pagan or whatever.

World Congress is part of Gathering Storm, so presumably you can turn it off somehow?

druss

Quote from: MojoJojo on March 26, 2024, 04:21:38 PMUmmm, it's ages since I played but doesn't slavery help with unhappiness? You get unhappy people when a city grows beyond a certain size (which you can increase with buildings and stuff). Slavery "converts" population into resources to complete what you're building. So you whip away your sad, unproductive population to complete units and buildings and stuff. It's good early game when you can't support many happy citizens.

There's also some efficiency/exploit about whipping when there is exactly the right amount of resources needed to complete that felt a bit like cheating but I can't remember how that worked.
Yeah I'm usually okay with whipping and you can use it to great effect with granaries as long as you don't overdo it.

Basically you shouldn't whip when you already have unhappiness from the previous whip but I just couldn't stop myself from whipping so slavery was not working to my benefit.

Hopefully this quote won't ever be taken out of context.

Norton Canes