Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 08:05:11 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Killers of the Flower Moon (2023)

Started by El Unicornio, mang, May 18, 2023, 05:48:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

El Unicornio, mang

Scorsese, De Niro, DiCaprio. Getting its premiere at Cannes on Saturday..

Glebe

El Unicornio, mang

Nice, Scorsese is always a fascinating interviewee

The end of the interview made me feel a bit sad though

Spoiler alert
DEADLINE: You're 80. Do you still have that fire to get right back behind the camera and get the next one going?

SCORSESE: Got to. Got to. Yeah. I wish I could take a break for eight weeks and make a film at the same time [laughs]. The whole world has opened up to me, but it's too late. It's too late.
DEADLINE: What do you mean by that?

SCORSESE: I'm old. I read stuff. I see things. I want to tell stories, and there's no more time. Kurosawa, when he got his Oscar, when George [Lucas] and Steven [Spielberg] gave it to him, he said, "I'm only now beginning to see the possibility of what cinema could be, and it's too late." He was 83. At the time, I said, "What does he mean?" Now I know what he means.
[close]

phantom_power

That trailer doesn't give too much away but it looks stunning

Glebe

Cannes screening reviews are out, word is generally positive though this Collider review suggests that the Osage tribe's story gets overshadowed by the white leads:

'Killers of the Flower Moon' Offers Stunning Performances, But Loses Focus on the Native American Story | Cannes 2023.

On the other hand former Osage Nation Chief Jim Gray confirms that Scorsese consulted with himself and other descendants of the Osage family the film focuses on and gives it a glowing endorsement:

How Martin Scorsese Involved the Osage Nation in 'Killers of the Flower Moon's Creative Process.

Meanwhile, it's paywalled but The Times review calls it a 'damp squib' and gives it 2/5:

Killers of the Flower Moon review — a damp squib from Martin Scorsese.

Glebe

Goldentony

Do I trust the Osage Nation and their first hand experience on the making of and consultations to film or do I trust Collider????

Glebe

Quote from: Minami Minegishi on May 21, 2023, 06:44:43 PMPheeew!!!

Chuckle!

Quote from: Goldentony on May 21, 2023, 06:47:43 PMDo I trust the Osage Nation and their first hand experience on the making of and consultations to film or do I trust Collider????

Do we trust Goldentony's posts? YOU decide!

Goldentony

Quote from: Glebe on May 21, 2023, 06:52:32 PMDo we trust Goldentony's posts? YOU decide!

the answer is OF COURSE
Spoiler alert
no
[close]

Glebe

Quote from: Goldentony on May 21, 2023, 06:59:13 PMthe answer is OF COURSE
Spoiler alert
no
[close]

Straight from the golden mouth!

Funcrusher

Having got to the point of actively not giving a fuck about Scorcese's output over the last twenty odd years I'm actually fairly interested in seeing this. I thought The Irishman was a pretty solid return to his familiar territory, although nothing you hadn't seen before, so I could see this being okay. Would still prefer if he wasn't stuck on DeCaprio as his lead of choice, he's just a pretty weak actor to me, but I guess he has enough marquee status to get funding out of studios.

thugler

Hyped for this

Loved the irishman and totally wasn't bothered by the bad and unecessary cgi effects when they could have just cast a younger actor.

Josef K

One of the best edited trailers I've seen in a while.

Also very excited for the next round of entertainment journalists asking about Marvel movies and him winding up a bunch of crybabies

dissolute ocelot

It looks very promising. I'm sure Scorsese is still capable of doing a great movie, with The Irishman and Hugo entertaining and well crafted (Hugo suggested that the only thing that excited him was old cinema, though). It's just that a lot of his choices have seemed wilfully perverse in one way or another, as if he's not wanting to do what people expect of him, which means he doesn't want to do what he's good at, and even if he does, he'll make it 4 hours long with pointless CG. Although I've had a DVD of Silence sitting unwatched for about 5 years, so who knows, maybe I'm just not watching the right ones?

Garam

He's been on a hot streak since Wolf of Wall Street, every film 3 hours plus, every one a banger. Everything he releases is event cinema at this point, hope he has at least 2 or 3 more left in him

paddy72

Quote from: Garam on May 23, 2023, 03:16:34 AMHe's been on a hot streak since Wolf of Wall Street, every film 3 hours plus, every one a banger. Everything he releases is event cinema at this point, hope he has at least 2 or 3 more left in him

You think? Silence was genuinely one of the most boring films I've ever seen. Absolutely interminable. I liked The Irishman well enough, but hardly peak Scorsese.

I'm keen to see this, though early reviews are already quite divisive.

Garam

Mm I thought Silence was fantastic. I don't think Irishman was peak Scorsese either but it's a great bookend to his gangster stuff. His 2010s run is far far better than his 2000s run imo

LordMorgan

Under blue moon, I saw you
So soon you'll take me

Glebe

Cannes press conference is worth a look:

Glebe

Interesting career overview with Scorsese:

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

I shall definitely be going to see this at the cinema. Bloody hell, though - it's three hours and twenty six minutes, according to the the cinema's website. This will really test the maxim that no good film is ever too long.

greenman

Quote from: paddy72 on May 23, 2023, 07:28:12 AMYou think? Silence was genuinely one of the most boring films I've ever seen. Absolutely interminable. I liked The Irishman well enough, but hardly peak Scorsese.

I'm keen to see this, though early reviews are already quite divisive.

This does look like it has a bit more energy to it than the Irishman though and also does not look like its been as forced towards standard thriller as much as Gangs of Newyork.

Mister Six

Gangs of New York felt like someone trying to dramatise Wikipedia entries.

13 schoolyards

To be fair, they're amazing wikipedia entries. There's a couple of really good books about New York pre-Civil War (Luc Sante's Low Life is one) and the place sounds absolutely mental from top to bottom.

Gangs of New York is definitely a misfire (though there's an extremely blurry, not really watchable VHS-level workprint of the original cut floating around if you want an idea of what it was going to be like before Harvey Weinstein started snipping), but the subject matter is so good it still almost works. Though last time I watched it Daniel Day Lewis' Robert DeNiro impression was a bit much.

Blinder Data

Quote from: Glebe on October 03, 2023, 09:58:01 PMInteresting career overview with Scorsese:

i enjoyed this, but beware: the last one on killers of the flower moon contains spoilers

dead-ced-dead

Quote from: 13 schoolyards on October 05, 2023, 07:57:12 AMTo be fair, they're amazing wikipedia entries. There's a couple of really good books about New York pre-Civil War (Luc Sante's Low Life is one) and the place sounds absolutely mental from top to bottom.

Gangs of New York is definitely a misfire (though there's an extremely blurry, not really watchable VHS-level workprint of the original cut floating around if you want an idea of what it was going to be like before Harvey Weinstein started snipping), but the subject matter is so good it still almost works. Though last time I watched it Daniel Day Lewis' Robert DeNiro impression was a bit much.

I have nothing but fond memories of Gangs of New York, because my older brother started getting obsessed with the grubbier side of American history around this time, so this movie got played endlessly. This movie was a real bonding experience.