Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 01:54:45 PM

Login with username, password and session length

I like Taylor Swift

Started by kalowski, March 23, 2024, 09:50:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kalowski

I think it's easy to say she's rubbish but we've just been watching the Eras tour video and it's great fun. She's great, isn't she?
Although it does make me think of The Fast Show: Eras video!

Kankurette

You're a brave soul posting this here.

I'm not a huge fan but Bad Blood is ridiculously catchy. As is I Knew You Were Trouble.

Toki

I like a fair bit from 1989, and one track from Reputation (the last one, which is basically Clean). I will always think of Eras Video from the Fast Show whenever she's mentioned now. Genuinely, thank you.

kalowski

Not sure any of her stuff is bad, but 1989 is her best
That's a fucking great album.
The concert show is pretty impressive. 3 hours of choreographed excellence and then she plays guitar and sings solo for an encore. No-one can knock that and have any kind of brain.
We love it when Springsteen plays for nearly 4 hours, we need to give her the same respect.

Toki

Can I shock you? I think Shake It Off is a perfectly acceptable pop song. That Todd in the Shadows video where he's pointing out how the song is hypocritical, well, as valid as strictly biographical interpretations of songs are, who really gives a fuck if Swift is an 'OMG!' type.

madhair60

Quote from: kalowski on March 23, 2024, 09:50:12 PMI think it's easy to say she's rubbish but we've just been watching the Eras tour video and it's great fun. She's great, isn't she?
Although it does make me think of The Fast Show: Eras video!

yes me too I love her. her pop is fucking great. i love 1989, Reputation, Lover and Midnights the best

Eras tour is incredible

M-CORP

Got a few of the albums and they're pretty decent. 1989, Folklore, Evermore and Midnights all good. I wish Robert Fripp would make a cameo on one of her records though.

Memorex MP3

I've tried a few (in the case of 1989 multiple times) and its never clicked. Think it might just be an issue I have in general with pop starts of that scale these days where they've access to every amazing producer and songwriter going and they're very talented in their own right but their own personality sorta overwhelms all the great work everyone's doing in a way that a totally vacant central figure wouldn't (e.g. Katy Perry's best stuff); or she's just not very good at collaborating and you've pretty much no choice at that level but to.

At this point she's ubiquitous in a way that I have no desire to check any of it out again, I'll revisit in like 5 years.

lazyhour

Can I just shock you? I like one of the most critically acclaimed and beloved pop stars of the last 20 years.

kalowski

Quote from: lazyhour on March 24, 2024, 01:52:40 AMCan I just shock you? I like one of the most critically acclaimed and beloved pop stars of the last 20 years.
This may be true, but it's not a given.
By the way, radio 6 was playing Joy Division this morning. Rubbish. Much prefer Tay-Tay.

sevendaughters

Quote from: kalowski on March 23, 2024, 10:03:18 PMthen she plays guitar and sings solo for an encore. No-one can knock that and have any kind of brain.

is that the bar now? Christ, bring back rockism.

It's hard to say that she's rubbish but her music doesn't make me feel much at all, which kind of says that it is to me. Like I have more of a visceral reaction to that Bebe Rexha cover of Blue by Eiffel 65. It just feels like I am watching the cynical endgame of contemporary politics turned into culture gruel and being shovelled onto my plate and people are saying EAT IT THIS IS VERY GOOD! REWARD THE MILLIONAIRE BILLIONAIRE WITH THE SAME PLAUDITS WE USED TO GIVE TO DYING GENIUSES! THE SCIONS OF WEALTH HAVE HEARTS TOO

kalowski

Quote from: sevendaughters on March 24, 2024, 08:48:23 AMis that the bar now? Christ, bring back rockism.

What I meant was that it's rare, and pretty tough, to perform a pretty high energy show for 3+hours and then come out and do a solo spot, especially when there'll be loads of cunts claiming she's miming etc. What I'm getting at is that The Boss will get loads of plaudits for his long, varied shows and she deserves the same.
You can take it however you want. I don't give a fuck.

dontpaintyourteeth

Poptimism is probably bad. More than a decade now that we've been swamped with this idea that the biggest, most successful acts are also the best, and that it's somehow transgressive to think so.

Anyway T-Swift has some pretty good tunes

The Mollusk

Her performance chops could be outstanding but I find her music soulless and cynical. She does nothing for me.

I find the seemingly sudden worldwide adoration and adulation of her weird. But then I am a 44 year old man so not her target audience. It's also an indicator to me how easy it is to ignore these huge cultural icons, I couldn't name a single one of her songs.

"We are never getting back together" is her best song.

hamfist

Love her. And I can enjoy her with my daughter which is just beautiful. We cut Taylors in all different outfits out, laminated them and hung them on the Christmas tree.

I have Eras tickets for Zurich, and I really can't wait.

hamfist

Quote from: The Mollusk on March 24, 2024, 10:13:44 AMHer performance chops could be outstanding but I find her music soulless and cynical. She does nothing for me.

I find it sometimes shockingly vulnerable and moving !

The Culture Bunker

Quote from: Cleveland Steamer on March 24, 2024, 10:28:50 AMI find the seemingly sudden worldwide adoration and adulation of her weird. But then I am a 44 year old man so not her target audience. It's also an indicator to me how easy it is to ignore these huge cultural icons, I couldn't name a single one of her songs.
I'm sure it's been a topic on here before, but it really is easy. Swift, Ed Sheeran, Adele - I'm sure I've heard their stuff as background noise in shops or whatever, but I couldn't hum a bar from any of their songs. I suspect a lot of it is down to Radio 1 not having their huge reach that they did back in the past, but there's also that it's simple to just plug in your earphones and go around the world without hearing any music outside your own collection. Since 2020, I must have bought at least 250 new albums on Bandcamp - I've no space in my life for what the mainstream throws at the population anymore.

madhair60

Glebe

QuoteI like Taylor Swift

Things your dad is doing!

Kankurette

Quote from: sevendaughters on March 24, 2024, 08:48:23 AMis that the bar now? Christ, bring back rockism.

It's hard to say that she's rubbish but her music doesn't make me feel much at all, which kind of says that it is to me. Like I have more of a visceral reaction to that Bebe Rexha cover of Blue by Eiffel 65. It just feels like I am watching the cynical endgame of contemporary politics turned into culture gruel and being shovelled onto my plate and people are saying EAT IT THIS IS VERY GOOD! REWARD THE MILLIONAIRE BILLIONAIRE WITH THE SAME PLAUDITS WE USED TO GIVE TO DYING GENIUSES! THE SCIONS OF WEALTH HAVE HEARTS TOO
This is the kind of thing I meant.

There's no rule in Oscillations saying we can't discuss pop music. Reminds me of someone being disgusted at me and others knowing about the Spice Girls' solo careers.

iamcoop

It's not even good pop music though.

Pop music can be thrilling, exhilarating, life-affirming, playful, joyous, innovative etc etc.

It obviously doesn't have to be any of the above, but I find her music so safe, beige, chance-less, insipid and just generally fucking bland that it's less than zero. It's absolutely nothing music. It's hold music. It's music that soundtracks bank adverts. It's just there.

I struggle to think of any other genuine cultural phenomenon that has been so completely devoid of soul, or anything that even moves me in any way whatsoever (good or bad) as the music of Taylor Swift.

kalowski

Thursday

I am not a fan of Taylor Swift. She insists upon herself!

iamcoop

What kind of name is Taylor anyway?! May as well call yourself Butcher, or Blacksmith!!!

#anlterativecomed
#comedeyunleashed

Stoneage Dinosaurs

My Hot take on Taylor Swift's music is that it's quite good

Kankurette

Quote from: iamcoop on March 24, 2024, 03:36:43 PMIt's not even good pop music though.

Pop music can be thrilling, exhilarating, life-affirming, playful, joyous, innovative etc etc.

It obviously doesn't have to be any of the above, but I find her music so safe, beige, chance-less, insipid and just generally fucking bland that it's less than zero. It's absolutely nothing music. It's hold music. It's music that soundtracks bank adverts. It's just there.

I struggle to think of any other genuine cultural phenomenon that has been so completely devoid of soul, or anything that even moves me in any way whatsoever (good or bad) as the music of Taylor Swift.
But what IS good pop music? I mean, I'd say the Spice Girls were great pop music, or Girls Aloud, but there's plenty of people on here who'd think otherwise.

iamcoop