Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 09:42:27 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Squarepusher - Just A Souvenir - New Album Out Now!

Started by niat, September 15, 2008, 07:56:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

niat

The new Squarepusher album has been sneaked out now on Bleep.com, and is available to pre-order on CD and vinyl, out 27th October.

For some reason they are not chucking in the digital version with pre-orders of the physical copies, so I seem to have just forked out £17 on both. Only heard one track so far, but I liked that a lot.

Thought I'd start a new thread as not one person replied when I bumped the old one with news of a new track. Fuckers.

Someone out there must be into Squarepusher? Anyone? Hello?

Anon

Why, hello there!  Just listened to a few of the samples on the Bleep site, and it's sounding pretty nice: not entirely sure about the production, but the songs sound pretty good, especially the jazzier, Music Is Rotted One Note-esque ones.  I'll probably hold out for the physical release, but sounds like another good Squarepusher album so far.

mcbpete

I've just downloaded and am tagging the FLACs now (I normally just download mp3s from bleep but as it was the same price I though I might as well get the flacs). Cannae wait to heat this one, sounds like a pretty fun album !

Robot DeNiro

Ha, hello tagger.

On first listen I particularly like the penultimate track and the one about the coathanger.  It's a shame there aren't more tracks with vocals on, they stand out for me as being a bit different from the Squarepusheriness we're used to.

The album's just come round again as I type this, the first track is very Hard Normal Daddy isn't it?

glitch

Oh I like this tag:

QuoteTom Boy falls through the red hot car

Housemate got the album today but I haven't listened to it yet. Will probably give it a go tomorrow on the way into work.

alan nagsworth

Oho! I'm excited, I always imagined it being a total Go Plastic-esque spazzfest after the placid but very entertaining Hello Everything. I'm not fussed if it's not though, I know it'll be good either way.

mcbpete

two days in mini-review: it's still flipping awesome.

Viero_Berlotti

Listened to 'Music Is Rotted One Note' last night for the first time in years, it's hard to believe it's ten years old now. It's still my favourite Squarepusher album by far, I will give this new one a listen though.

He's playing live at the Warehouse Project in December as well, I don't think my girlfriend will be up for going though and none of my mates are really that into his stuff, so it looks like I'll be standing with the lone bearded weirdos at the back, unless of course I can trick my brother into going.

I think I just hate Squarepusher now. Not quite sure why but this and the last record have absolutely no balls to them at all. His decision to focus on melody is probably all he could have done without repeating himself but I find that the tunes don't grab me in the slightest. Obviously, it's an idiot who walks away from a Squarepusher record after one listen but not one track (no, the rock-funk one is cool) has made me want to replay it. There's too much classical acoustic guitar friggery, too many jumpy chord changes and far too much synth preset wailing. Way too tasteful for my tastes. God, my English is shit. Have my ears changed or is he really more dull these days? I guess I just prefer the old drum-loop manipulation.

Vitalstatistix

Quote from: Robot DeNiro on September 15, 2008, 11:27:27 PM
The album's just come round again as I type this, the first track is very Hard Normal Daddy isn't it?

Ooh this has piqued my interest, I have to check this out now. His last few have been a little hit and miss for me, but he's still worth listening to, and if it's anything like HND (his perfect album), then it may be a return to form. OK so I haven't actually heard it yet, so maybe I'm jumping the gun...

alan nagsworth

Quote from: Viero_Berlotti on September 19, 2008, 09:27:04 AM
it looks like I'll be standing with the lone bearded weirdos at the back

I'll have you know that when I saw him at Bang Face, one of the beardy weirdies I was stood amongst was the mighty John Frusciante, so it's not all bad.

Me looking pretty warped and sweating my tits off in front of a disgruntled Frusciante, yesterday.

Part Chimp

I've been listening to this a lot over the last few days. It's the usual mix of half good/half dire material that you get on any Squarepusher album. He could release a storming greatest hits record, but he'd probably choose to put all his shitty avant-jazz-funk tracks on it. Anyway, the main thrust of this post is that "The Coathanger" is brilliant, and easily the best thing he's ever done. It made me laugh out loud on numerous occasions, which doesn't happen much with comedy or music these days. Here it is:

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HOFdY6rt3ys[/youtube]

How is that the best thing he's ever done? Thats not even as good as the worst track on Hard Normal Daddy.

Part Chimp

In my mind it's the best thing he's ever done, if only because I laughed out loud at it. I think Hard Normal Daddy is a bum-clenchingly boring album. At least the newie has some guffaws.

Capt.Midnight

Any love for 'Planet Gear'? I like how layered the melody is, sounds great through a good pair of headphones.

Vitalstatistix

Quote from: Part Chimp on October 24, 2008, 07:20:06 PM
I think Hard Normal Daddy is a bum-clenchingly boring album.

Buh!? It's a thrilling album. Funky and clever and moving. The best thing the man's ever produced imo. OK if you think "Beep Street" is boring but "Coopers World"? "Fat Controlller"? Impossible!

imitationleather

Any one going to see him on the new tour thingy? I probably am, even though I've never been anything other than woefully disappointed by him live. Then again, I missed him at both the Bang Face Weekender and Glastonbury, where he apparently played blinders. Ooh, what am I to do?

I'll be pissed off if I get there and it's all stuff from Just a Souvenir and Hello Everything.

DJ One Record

Quote from: Part Chimp on October 24, 2008, 07:20:06 PM
In my mind it's the best thing he's ever done, if only because I laughed out loud at it.

It's certainly one of the most accessible tracks Squarepusher has done, at least from a DJ's perspecitve. Hell, I could even imagine Craig Richards playing that. Although for the first minute or so I thought he was singing "cunt...HIGHER!!!"

Viero_Berlotti

As the years go on, the more Squarepusher begins to resemble Mark King.

Just whack a fractured 'amen brother' break underneath this and you've got the highlight of the next Squarepusher album:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=eMzXtizKcXY

alan nagsworth

God almighty, I heard one of his new tunes on Adam & Joe's radio show and lost all faith and enthusiasm for Squarepusher. Some electronic punk-sounding tune with a vocoder voice singing pure uninteresting shite. I actually turned the radio off; It just enfuriated me so damn much.

Also I sometimes like to imagine little scenarios in my head and a frequent one is that of Squarepusher and Ceephax as teenagers still living together. I like to picture Tom noodling away on his bass in some nicely-reverberated bathroom, when suddenly his wacky kid brother bursts in blaring some badly-produced acidic drill'n'bass nonsense, much to Tom's displeasure. In another scene, Ceephax walks in and says "Hey bro - check out me new choon!" and plays more of his sub-par twaddle. Tom snorts and says "You're throwing your life away, young brother. Teach yourself the bass guitar on an expert level and then come back and show me your music."

These little scenes make me smile. Oh for an ideal world.

Maximash

Great album with a fun concept. Futuristic yet with one foot steeped in the past. YES. And all credit to Jenkinson, shedding his skin completely after a transformation that begun as far back as Ultravisitor. The backlash I find quite funny, but hey, what can you do. Just shows you how stuck up people can be.

mcbpete

Agreed, over at WATMM they're going mental about his supposed change in direction but I absolutely love it. I don't think they like the fact that he's suddenly lost his po-faced attitude and actually decided to have some fun with his music !

Johnny Yesno