Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 28, 2024, 12:11:36 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Tracks you skip on albums

Started by Custard, October 17, 2008, 04:29:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Custard

Over and Over on the new Primal Scream. It's not bad, i just find it boring. The fact that it's wedged between I Love To Hurt and Necro Hex Blues (which are both great) makes it worse. A cracking sandwich with a shit filling. And it doesn't go with the rest of the album. Good enough reasons i think.

Radio America on The Libertines' debut. Sorry, bores me to tears. What A Waster or May Day would've worked much better in that slot.

Revolution 9 on ver White Album. But everyone does that, so i dunno if that counts.

How about y'all?

Gulftastic

'Hot Thing' on 'Sign O The Times', the greatest work from Prince.

I'm not sure why, I know the rest of the album pretty much note for note, but that track just never did it for me.

alan nagsworth

Pam Berry by The Shins, off their most recent album. Utter crap that strips the beauty of the CD and leaves me feeling awkward and bored, and then Phantom Limb comes on and I feel even more confused. Skipping that track makes the album fantastic, leaving it on totally ruins it.

Ambient Sheep

Ooooh, great idea for a thread!  Here's just three that spring to mind without any effort at all:

"Death of the Prodigy Dancers (Live)" at the end of The Prodigy Experience always gets stopped before it's hardly got started.

Likewise, the words "One more tune!" that open the final (live) track on Massive Attack's "Protection" is always greeted by me (sometimes out loud) with the words "No, NOT one more tune!", and the STOP button being pressed.

The title track of Genesis' "Trick Of The Tail" album tends to get skipped too, for a slightly bizarre reason.  I first heard the album as a cassette taped for me by a mate back in about 1981 or something; and in order to get it to fit onto a C90 he dropped that track.  I didn't even know the track existed until I bought the sheet music book a couple of years later.  When I finally got to hear it a few years after that upon actually buying the album, I was amazed at how shit it was, and to this day I wonder if that's because it was the only track I didn't hear at an impressionable age, or because it really IS shit.

purlieu

Quote from: Shameless on October 17, 2008, 04:29:49 PM
Revolution 9 on ver White Album. But everyone does that
No.  I always listen to it, and there are several songs on the white album I skip.

Sulk on The Bends.  Urgh.  Not that I've listened to The Bends in about five years, but still.
She Makes My Nose Bleed on Attack Of The Grey Lantern.  Never liked the song.

The last couple of tracks on 'Freak Out' by Zappa/Mothers.  The rest of the album is near perfect, psyche-tinged 60s pop with a sneer, but I never could get my head around 'Help I'm a Rock' or 'Return of the Son of Monster Magnet'.

Likewise, where most of 'Freak Out' is joyous, I never really took to its successor, 'Absolutely Free'.  (I guess there's further dicussion here, but I'll save it for the Zappa thread.

No matter how many times I listen to 'Revolver' by The Beatles, I'll pretty much always skip 'Yellow Submarine'.  I suspect I'm not alone.

Custard

Quote from: purlieu on October 17, 2008, 05:29:51 PM
No.  I always listen to it, and there are several songs on the white album I skip.

Fair enough! Which tracks do you skip, out of interest? I don't think I skip anything else on either side. Love that record to bits.

QuoteSulk on The Bends.

And I like that. I expect a few people skip Bones, but I like that too haha.

Talking of Radiohead though, I might be alone on this one but I always skip Treefingers on Kid A, and Hunting Bears on Amnesiac. I know a lot of people enjoy them, but to me they're utterly pointless filler.

non capisco

'Bulletproof' was the one I always skipped on The Bends, although loads of people love that track.

'Remote Control' on The Clash's debut album. Compared to everything else on that album, it sounds half arsed and knackered, with its notoriously ropey lyrics and Mick Jones sounding even more like a nanny goat than usual.

I skip 'Hot Dog' from Led Zeppelin's 'In Through The Out Door' on a majority of listens.  Horrible song.  Even worse guitar solo.

Little Hoover

Quote from: Shameless on October 17, 2008, 06:14:50 PM
Fair enough! Which tracks do you skip, out of interest? I don't think I skip anything else on either side. Love that record to bits.

Talking of Radiohead though, I might be alone on this one but I always skip Treefingers on Kid A, and Hunting Bears on Amnesiac. I know a lot of people enjoy them, but to me they're utterly pointless filler.
Yes I do too, I would have thought that would have been quite common.

To be honest I don't listen to whole albums much, it's not even that I think the tracks are bad, I just end up thinking "well, why not listen to one of their much better songs instead"

El Unicornio, mang

That's my favourite Radiohead song!

I usually skip 'Never Had No-one Ever' on The Queen is Dead. After 'I Know It's Over' I need to get to the more upbeat stuff. 'Vicar in a Tutu' is often skipped also, as it is just silly.

Automatic for the People by REM is my favourite all-time album but 'Star Me Kitten' usually gets skipped.

Actually, I often skip 'Never Had No One Ever' for exactly the same reason.

BJB

"Miss America" on Blurs Modern Life Is Rubbish. Despite the fact that I think Alex James named it as his favorate Blur track. Just never been able to get into it.

niat

Quote from: Ambient Sheep on October 17, 2008, 04:59:52 PM
Likewise, the words "One more tune!" that open the final (live) track on Massive Attack's "Protection" is always greeted by me (sometimes out loud) with the words "No, NOT one more tune!", and the STOP button being pressed.

God, yes! Why the hell did they ever think that covering Light My Fire really badly was a good idea?

I always skip Pretty Penny on Stone Temple Pilots' Purple. Shite.

Lanky

Shame On Me on Earth Vs. The Wildhearts. Does nothing for me. I often skip the second half of Everlone too.

Quote from: niat on October 17, 2008, 06:40:18 PM
I always skip Pretty Penny on Stone Temple Pilots' Purple. Shite.

That's one of my favourites after 'Kitchenware and Candybars' and 'Innerstate Love Song'!

Ben

Quote from: El Unicornio, mang on October 17, 2008, 06:29:00 PM

Automatic for the People by REM is my favourite all-time album but 'Star Me Kitten' usually gets skipped.

A great album (including star me kitten) but New Orleans Instrumental is entirely unnecessary

purlieu

I'll be honest, I'm not a massive fan of the album at all.  I'll be crucified, I'm sure, but songs like Bungalow Bill and Rocky Raccoon just don't do it for me.  Ob-La-Di I can't be arsed with, and I think Birthday may be my least favourite Beatles song.  And Julia's a bit boring.

Re: Bones.  Yes, it's probably the most hated Radiohead album track outside of How Do You, but I'm a fan of both of them.

Custard

Whoever added the tag about the 4 second final track on Space's 2nd album, I salute you

Custard

Quote from: purlieu on October 17, 2008, 07:23:20 PM
  I'll be honest, I'm not a massive fan of the album at all.  I'll be crucified, I'm sure, but songs like Bungalow Bill and Rocky Raccoon just don't do it for me.  Ob-La-Di I can't be arsed with, and I think Birthday may be my least favourite Beatles song.  And Julia's a bit boring.

Re: Bones.  Yes, it's probably the most hated Radiohead album track outside of How Do You, but I'm a fan of both of them.

Haha yeah, I used to find Rocky Raccoon quite annoying, but for some reason or other i find it enjoyable these days, in a throwaway, novelty type way. That type of track tends to bring some light-relief inbetween the darker, heavier tracks like Yer Blues, Helter Skelter etc too. I can deffo understand why some people would hate it though.

EDIT - Maxwell's Silver Hammer on Abbey Road can fuck right off, mind.

purlieu

Second song I learned to play on guitar was Maxwell, so I have a definite soft spot for it. 

Aye.  Maxwell's Silver Bollocks.

'Little Miss Strange' from Hendrix's 'Axis: Bold as Love'.  Pure filler.  

Ambient Sheep

Quote from: purlieu on October 17, 2008, 05:29:51 PMSulk on The Bends.  Urgh.  Not that I've listened to The Bends in about five years, but still.

I really like "Sulk".  Although I believe they've only ever played it live once, so perhaps they're not fond of it either.  And re. El Unicornio's post, I also quite like "Bones", but I wouldn't say it's my favourite; and yes, non capisco, I'm one of those that love "Bulletproof".  I play the album loads though, it's one of my favourites.

However, this does remind me that I usually skip "My Iron Lung".  Great lyrics, great verse, but all the distorted guitar-grunting on the chorus just annoys me.

Meanwhile, on OK Computer, I'll quite happily leave "Fitter, Happier" running, but then skip forward over both "Electioneering" and "Climbing Up The Walls" to "No Surprises".  When I first got the album, I then used to stop it there, but as time's gone on I've learnt to appreciate both "Lucky" and "The Tourist", but the other two?  Naahhh.  Just a noisy racket and a boring drone-a-thon, respectively.

I never get why Ok Computer got all that "Best album ever" type bollocks - the first three tracks are indeed excellent, but after that it drops off sharply; for me The Bends is far superior.  But that's another discussion...that I'm sure we've done before anyway.  :-)

Ambient Sheep

Quote from: niat on October 17, 2008, 06:40:18 PMGod, yes! Why the hell did they ever think that covering Light My Fire really badly was a good idea?

And then not only that, but putting it on their next major studio album for posterity!!!  It didn't even deserve to be the last B-side track on the second CD of a comes-in-two-versions CD-single, let alone that.

El Unicornio, mang

Quote from: Ambient Sheep on October 17, 2008, 08:29:30 PM
I really like "Sulk".  Although I believe they've only ever played it live once, so perhaps they're not fond of it either.  And re. El Unicornio's post, I also quite like "Bones", but I wouldn't say it's my favourite;

One of the reasons I like it so much is that I first heard it on The Beat where they were showing Reading '94 highlights, and it opens with Thom covering Jeff Buckley's 'Sing a Song' (he had died that week, I think) then going into 'Bones'. I didn't know it was a cover at the time and assumed that was part of the song so was disappointed it wasn't there when I got the album but still really liked it and always associate those haunting lyrics with it.

Here's the clip (split into two parts)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0JfY-40k68Y

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jx7o_fDChhA

I'm not a big 'My Iron Lung' fan either, it's from a live show too so sounds a bit out of place, although it's still my favourite Radiohead album

Quote from: Shameless on October 17, 2008, 07:24:10 PM
Whoever added the tag about the 4 second final track on Space's 2nd album, I salute you

Aw shucks. That's worth putting my career at risk by wasting so many hours on CaB!

DJ One Record

Quote from: trotsky assortment on October 17, 2008, 07:35:16 PM
'Little Miss Strange' from Hendrix's 'Electric Ladyland'.  Pure filler.  

Fixed (unless it's on another version of "Axis", if so I apologise).

But on the same subject, I always skip the 14 minute version of "Voodoo Chile" when listening to Electric Ladyland. I just can't get into it for shit.

Sgt. Pepper - "Within You Without You".

Heroes        - "Neukoln"

White Album - quite a few including "Long Long Long" "Bungalow Bill" and "Don't Pass Me By". I can tolerate "Revolution 9" though, for some reason.

Actually, thinking about it, pretty much any Beatles track that Ringo "Peace n' love peace n' love now fuck off the lot of yer" Starr sings on.

And I'm sorry to say it but "The Great Gig In The Sky" on Dark Side Of The Moon always gets skipped after a couple of minutes.  There's only so much soulful wailing I can stand before it starts getting on my tits, I'm afraid.

ThickAndCreamy

Quote from: DJ One Record on October 17, 2008, 09:17:23 PM
Fixed (unless it's on another version of "Axis", if so I apologise).

But on the same subject, I always skip the 14 minute version of "Voodoo Chile" when listening to Electric Ladyland. I just can't get into it for shit.
Agreed completely, but to me Electric Ladyland is the worst album of all 3 (Edit: Actually it's between EL and A:BAL debateable at best for me). Simply for it being so hugely inconsistent with brilliance and boredom ranging from song to song. It's still a great album but has many, many skipable tracks.

I'd also like to add the obvious EXP from Axis: Bold as Love as it's clearly shit and is a horrible way to start off a brilliant album.