Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,585,787
  • Total Topics: 106,777
  • Online Today: 949
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 28, 2024, 03:43:22 AM

Login with username, password and session length

10 minutes left till the end of the world

Started by Sam, January 05, 2009, 01:13:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sam

The apocalypse is coming. The black clouds brood and billow in the bruised sky, beckoning the end of all things.

You are sat on the porch as the mushroom clouds spread towards you. The air is breathing fire. You have a glass of single Malt, a spliff and your stereo. You choose a piece to play, the last thing you'll ever hear. Maybe the last thing anyone will hear.

What is it?

rjd2

purlieu

My Kingdom Part 1 by The Future Sound of London.  My favourite piece of music ever, and, pleasantly, ten minutes long.

Aquarela do Brasil by Elis Regina

One of my favourite melodies (just known as 'Brazil' in English, yeah, that one) backed by tribal drums and whoops. The first time I heard it I thought it sounded like a war cry. Every time I hear it, I picture her standing on some cliffs belting the fuck out of the tune and practically challenging the world to end. Bonerific. You'd still have about 6 minutes left for a wank too.

Jemble Fred

George Harrison's anthology demo of 'All Things Must Pass'. Three times.

explodingvinyl

'O Magnum Mysterium' by Morten Lauridsen, probably the Los Angeles Master Chorale version. Sam will probably find that a hideous choice, but I think it's a beautiful, epic peice of music and I love it. 

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

I'd wait for 8 minutes and then play Two Minutes to Midnight by Iron Maiden.

Sam

Quote from: explodingvinyl on January 05, 2009, 10:17:25 AM
'O Magnum Mysterium' by Morten Lauridsen, probably the Los Angeles Master Chorale version. Sam will probably find that a hideous choice, but I think it's a beautiful, epic peice of music and I love it. 

Nah, that's a good choice. Have you heard Thomas Tallis's "Spem in Alium", though? That would be another great choice.

Paranormalhandy

The snug fit that is Underworld's Rez

Or start at two and a half minutes into Jam & Spoon's Follow Me

Tough decision, but after being reminded the other night, it could well be 'Here Comes a Regular' by The Replacements.  Achingly beautiful.

sirhenry

Don_Preston

Call Any Vegetable by the Mothers of Invention, because a lot of people don't bother about their friends in the vegetable kingdom.

alan nagsworth

Nobuo Uematsu - Silence And Motion (Piano Version)

TWICE

BLATANTLY

daimoniac

i dunno what the hell its's called, but theres one track off a compilation i nicked from my mother when i was a kid (i'll sendspace it when i get it into an MP3 - cause its brilliant) and theres enough room to snugly fit "all night party" by anne clark in there to finish it off

brand_new_modems

if i'm alone something by these fellas

if i'm with others then this FOR THE ULTIMATE PARTY IN WHICH EVERYONE SHOUTS "PAARRTY"

Dirty Boy

Nick Cave ATBS-The Mercy Seat

Followed by Ren & Stimpy-Log Song

Beck

A Hard Rain's a-Gonna Fall 'cos it worked so well at the end of that Murakami thing.

Neville Chamberlain

The End Of All Things by NoMeansnNo

Not only appropriate given the impending apocalypse, but also one of the best gosh-darned songs ever written!!!

alan nagsworth

Actually, I've changed my mind. I'd like it to be Philip Glass - Mad Rush.

Yeah I know, it's 13 minutes long, get your toes out of my bum crack. While I think it's equally a beautifully serene and solemnly dramatic piece, and I enjoy it a lot, I do get a bit bored of the repetition after a while. Also, I don't like things to come to an end, (the world being one of them, lovely music another) and I also don't like to be reminded about the end of things... so it would be kind of fitting for me to suddenly perish without realising it was time to go, my eardrums exploding just as the stereo is blown apart. There's no chance in hell I'd want to sit there after the song ends and think, "Well, might as well just drum my fingers on the floor til this apocalypse thing comes around."

Obviously for this to work I would have to refrain from watching the timer on the stereo, but what kind of sick fuck watches those things anyway? People who can't wait for the song to end, that's who.

Sam

Actually, you're all wrong.

The correct answer is:

György Ligeti - Lux Aeterna

http://www.sendspace.com/file/rxt3pc

That is the only piece to be played when there is 10 minutes left to the end of the world.

Thanks for taking part, though.

Well this was all delightfully pointless then.

Morrisfan82

I'll bear that in mind the next time I'm inexplicably drinking a drink I don't like, smoking drugs I don't like and stood next to a pile of records I've never heard as an atomic explosion goes off.

Though on reflection I think I'd rather just run towards the mushroom cloud...

thugler

I just fancy a wank and some polysics or ramones or andrew wk or something.

Sam's wrong anyway. The real answer is Freebird.

sirhenry

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on January 08, 2009, 05:46:42 PM
Sam's wrong anyway. The real answer is Freebird.
The live version, so that at the point in the interminable guitar solo where you're thinking "Kill me now!", it does.

Bah! When played at full volume, the big guitar ending causes a bubble of compressed awesomness capable of neutralizing the nuclear shockwave.

niat

Orbital - Out There Somewhere? (Part II) from In Sides. It's over 13 minutes long, but fuck it, I might just last that extra 3 minutes. It sounds better having listened to Part I first, but it just builds and builds to a glorious crescendo. I'd die with a grin on my face and a tear on my cheek.

I've often listened to this track whilst flying, and I've already earmarked it as the track I'd play if a plane I was on started plummeting earthwards.

purlieu

Plus, the fate-out lasts so long you wouldn't miss too much even if the world started to end at ten minutes.