Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,585,802
  • Total Topics: 106,777
  • Online Today: 949
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 28, 2024, 05:26:49 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Made In Sheffield: The Birth of Electronic Pop (Film)

Started by SavageHedgehog, January 23, 2009, 11:35:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SavageHedgehog

Has anyone else seen this? It's a documentary about the Sheffield scene in the late 70s dealing with bands like Cabaret Voltaire, The Human League, ABC (Vice Versa as they were called at the time), Artery and some more obscure bands like 2.3 and The Extras. Pulp are mentioned on the front, but that's clearly a marketing thing more than anything as Jarvis really only talks about the scene and Artery in particular, he doesn't say much about Pulp themselves (though he does talk about early Pulp a little in the bonus interviews), which is right really for as much as I love them they're not really part of this story. That said, the decision to put My Lifehouse over the end credits was ingenious. The Human League/Heaven 17 and Cabaret Voltaire are certainly worthy of full length documentaries by themselves, so I was a little sceptical about this film fitting enough into 52 minutes, but at the end I was definitely satisfied. The Bonus Interviews are great, but they do not feel like they were missing from the actual film. I would recommend this to anyone interested in any of the bands or the scene in general.

Johnny Yesno

Oh wow! No, I haven't seen it. Thanks for the headsup - I'm rather keen on one of the bands featured.

SavageHedgehog

You're Welcome. The Cabs get a pretty decent amount of screentime, as much as anyone else I'd say. Sadly, Chris Watson is the only member of the band they could get for interviews, but what he has to say is pretty interesting, and there's an additional 10 minutes or so of the interview in the extras which are also very interesting.