Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 04:52:29 PM

Login with username, password and session length

It's Not For Cats

Started by Still Not George, November 06, 2012, 09:56:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Puffin Chunks

Oh, I'll leave it running for a bit. See what happens.

And for anyone who can't find it on Android, it's called Curiosity Cube in the Play store.

Ignatius_S

Quote from: Puffin Chunks on November 07, 2012, 12:21:29 PM
Oh, I'll leave it running for a bit. See what happens...

I'm using iOS – haven't had that problem every time, but a fair. As I say, I didn't have to be logged on for long for it to be 'fixed'.

Puffin Chunks

Ahhh. Do i need to sign in to Facebook for it to work? I just assumed it would update on it's own.

It isn't updating... and I'm not sure I'll have time to whittle the whole cube down in one sitting.

Ignatius_S

Quote from: Puffin Chunks on November 07, 2012, 12:37:35 PM
Ahhh. Do i need to sign in to Facebook for it to work? I just assumed it would update on it's own.

It isn't updating... and I'm not sure I'll have time to whittle the whole cube down in one sitting.

No, you shouldn't need to sign in - I haven't anyway! Sorry to hear that hasn't done the trick - before I worked out it would update on its own, I thought it was broken, so thought it might be the same.

Still Not George

Quote from: checkoutgirl on November 07, 2012, 12:00:40 PM
At least Cow Clicker was intended to be a jokey piss take. This Curiosity thing was described as an "experiment." An experiment in what ? We already know that people like to pay hard cash for digital sprites and stuff.

Cow Clicker was an experiment too (to see how many people would actually do it and if anyone would pay for it). Curiosity is arguably completely pointless, but it's hard to deny that it's genuinely an experimental project. Nothing on this scale has been done before, as is being demonstrated by the complete beating the servers are taking.

This page alone demonstrates that the idea has the power to provoke and intrigue, and that's before even considering what the hell must be in the centre.

And there's another 21 experiments to go after this one. According to my friend, they're all already written up and waiting to enter development. Curiosity is only the start of Moly's EPIC WANK QUEST, it seems.

KLG-7B

It's lacking polish to the point where it's plain confusing.

MojoJojo

Quote from: checkoutgirl on November 07, 2012, 11:34:33 AMApparently there is one diamond chisel that costs 50 grand and I have no doubt that someone will buy it. If I was forced to find a reason for the existence of "Curiosity" other than simple cash generation I would say that it could be seen as a metaphor for life.

I think it's important to realise here that the diamond chisel doesn't cost real money, and as far as I'm aware it doesn't take any money.

I'm guessing at the middle of the cube is a snuff movie of Peter Molymewmew killing a cat.

mcbpete

Quote from: Puffin Chunks on November 07, 2012, 12:37:35 PM

I've got (well had) the Android version but didn't need to use Facebook for it to work. To 'force' an update I would zoom right into the cube and it'd then load which bits had been chipped away or not.

Note - ensure you're using a wifi connection rather than 3g as otherwise you'll clobber your monthly download allowance.

Acceptable

I think this game might be a clever satire of Peter's own career: from game design legend, to corporate sell-out, to living industry joke. Each disappointing sequel and abandoned prototype is a layer on the cube, and peeling away at this onion of a man over the course of 15 years is the constant, mass tapping. When we finally reach the literal centre of the cube we reach the metaphorical centre of the man, wherein there's nothing but a worthless platitude. A Nothing masquerading as Something. It's really quite poetic.

Still Not George

Apparently the server is over capacity by a factor of 15, which would certainly explain the problems people are having getting on.

KLG-7B

I bet £10 this is all implemented on top of HTTP.

jutl

Quote from: Still Not George on November 08, 2012, 12:24:48 AM
Apparently the server is over capacity by a factor of 15, which would certainly explain the problems people are having getting on.

...which may demonstrate it's an experiment on an unprecedented scale, but may only just show that they cheaped out on the infrastructure.

hpmons

Oh god this is amazingly stupid.  Stupidly amazing.