Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 07:02:09 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Scarred for Life Volume Two

Started by worldsgreatestsinner, December 28, 2020, 12:15:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Glebe

Started reading SfL Vol 1, gonna do the whole thing cover-to-cover rather than dipping in, already spoilered some things for myself but you can't watch/read everything anyway!

Like the description of colour telly becoming more common as the colourful '60s ended and the darker '70's came in!

The piece on The Owl Service was interesting, I was certainly taken aback by how abstract and 'adult' it was when I watched it on YT about a year ago.

I've never watched Ace of Wands, sad to hear that the first two series were wiped though. Couple of names in the cast rang a bell... saw Tony Selby in a Bergerac repeat recently, remember him as a gangster in The Sweeney too. Roy Holder is most familar to me as Timothy Lumsden's mate in Sorry!, apparently one of his last roles was in Spielberg's War Horse!

I'd never heard of Escape into Night before, was surprised to hear that the film Paperhouse came from the same source novel! It's on YT, looking forward to giving it a watch... as the book explains it was filmed in colour but has only survived in B&W:

Meanwhile, been watching Armchair Thriller serial 'Quiet as a Nun' on YT!

Phew, this post took an effort to do on me phone, must sort out that new laptop pronto!

Glebe

The Ace of Wands piece mentions the character of Mr. Stabs (Russell Hunter) who appeared in one of the lost episodes and would reappear in an episode of anthology series Shadows, another series I've never seen. He would return once again for the 1984 Dramarama episode 'Mr. Stabs', this time played by David Jason with David Rapport as his familiar, Luko.

I actually watched this on YT a few years back. It's since been taken down, but the opening of the episode is available in the form of an ad for a Network DVD release of the series:

Meanwhile Dramarama episode 'The Danny Roberts Show' is currently on YT and features a young Gwyneth 'Cassandra from OFAH' Strong! I've not watched it properly yet but it looks vaguely familiar, feel like I might have seen it as a young 'un!:

Still unable to identify the episode about a guy haunted by a dream about a ventriloquist dummy or summit, ah well.

'playing' Birmingham in November, with an Ultraviolet thing on in advance.

Which is nice.