Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 03:40:37 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The Last of Us

Started by Jim Jarmusch, December 11, 2011, 06:30:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic
Not sure how I feel about it. I'm glad Druckmann is writing but - you know - when was the last time a writer got their movie made as intended? I don't think it's an original concept or world or narrative, much of it is very derivative, it's all character and execution. Again, no doubt that they could write some fantastic stories within that world but I think they have to leave Joel and Ellie's story behind, certainly. Hmm... I'm just a little disappointed by this, really. It's brought something unique to gaming, I think, and to immediately turn back to the origins of its inspiration in conventional narrative media is a bit sad.

Thursday

Yeah I don't really know what a film can add. I mean The Last of Us is the peak of a certain kind of videogame storytelling, one that relies mainly on cut-scenes and scripted dialogue and it's technically advanced enough that it all looks and feels very cinematic. I don't know if there's much to be gained from seeing all that stuff play out in live action.

I wonder if a series could have been a better a way to go, there's a lot of scope for stories set in that universe. Expanding the world and characters rather than condensing it into 2 hours could have potential.

I thought that with Bioshock actually. A pre-fall Rapture as an HBO series that follows the lives of Ryan and various characters that live in that world. It can be the new Boardwalk Empire.

Onken

I picked it up Friday for the PS4. I must be close to the end now after staying awake a till morning for three consecutive nights. It's the most perfectly paced and absorbing game I've ever played. I wish it wouldn't end.

The remastered version has all the DLC so happy theres more to look forward.

thraxx

Quote from: Onken on August 04, 2014, 09:00:56 PM
I picked it up Friday for the PS4. I must be close to the end now after staying awake a till morning for three consecutive nights. It's the most perfectly paced and absorbing game I've ever played. I wish it wouldn't end.

The remastered version has all the DLC so happy theres more to look forward.

More proof why I must never be allowed to get my hands on this game.

The DLC is wonderful. I'll say nothing more, just great to read someone loving it as much as I did.

hoverdonkey

I'm playing it through again on PS4. Can't wait to play the Ellie prequel DLC, but wanted to remind myself of the story before going straight into it. Besides, it's hardly a chore going through this game. It's so pretty I gone done my first 'share'.

You've definitely done right to play the main game again first but once you've finished the DLC, you'll be itching to play the former all over again.

Pit-Pat

I've also bought it on the PS4 but have found myself weirdly absorbed in the multiplayer. The matchmaking is pretty broken right now, but I'm loving the Gears of War feel to it (and the fact that I'm much better at it than I was at Gears)

ArchieGemmel

I gave in and bought it for my PS4 and am now playing it through for the third time. I still keep noticing new things that happen, I love it so much.

The new patch seems to have improved the match-making. All the matches I played came down to the wire, really tense. Only got on one of the new maps but I liked it.

Pit-Pat

I'm totally addicted to the MP. If anyone wants to put together a posse send me a pm sometime.

ArchieGemmel

I don't know how to PM but I'm definitely interested. My gamer tag is DevineWrite.

Pit-Pat

I'll add you this evening.

ArchieGemmel

Nice one. I will be on this evening from about 8 if you want to try and have a few matches. I have another friend who plays as well.

Pit-Pat

Quote from: ArchieGemmel on September 03, 2014, 11:15:17 AM
Nice one. I will be on this evening from about 8 if you want to try and have a few matches. I have another friend who plays as well.

Yeah, should be up for that depending on work etc.

Onken

amnesiac

this last page is the complete opposite of the first where they all hated it! I loved it so much, when it ended I just sat there, thinking about things and that.

Benevolent Despot

I completed it on the PS4 about a week ago. I liked it quite a bit too. The mix of earthy dialogue, humour and desperate brutal violence was lovely. As for the ending:

Spoiler alert
I was somewhat perturbed that there is no player choice and Joel is forced into saving Ellie and massacring those who you assume are 'the good guys' (or the least worse) for the entire game. As much as I like Ellie, I thought saving the human race would be preferable to saving my buddy. However I suppose giving you what you don't expect, or want, is a brave move. I just found Joel's mental rampage culminating in stabbing surgeons to death, and then lying to Ellie, a bit much. BUT IT WAS DRAMATIC.
[close]

And I suppose that is the point.

chand

IIRC you can actually just
Spoiler alert
leave the surgeons alone and take Ellie
[close]
, which doesn't materially change the ending but might make you feel better about yourself. I think it's the best way it could've ended really. I understand people reasoning that
Spoiler alert
it's better to save the world and let Ellie die, but there's no guarantee that it would have led to a viable cure anyway
[close]

Thursday

Spoiler alert
No I'm fairly sure there's no way to do it. I think the handling of it was a mistake. I tried walking out, but you can't, I tired shooting his hand so he'd drop the knife but that causes him to die. Apparently if you throw a brick at him, it'll bounce off him. They should have just made it a cutscene instead of trying to give the illusion of player agency. It really has the feel of a moment that's giving you a choice, but it isn't.

Although really that whole last level I didn't like the fact that I was gunning these people down.

[close]